STEVE M
May 20, 2003, 06:52 PM
So which is more reliable? I've heard that 7 rounders are more so

than 8 rounders but that is fully loaded. I've been wondering

about the downloaded mags.

I realize this is kinda sided toward the 1911 mags, but if you

feel something else is even more reliable choose #3 and explain

your reasons!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which magazine is more reliable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
May 20, 2003, 07:15 PM
In 1911s I have found seven round magazines to be more reliable than eight round magazines because of the follower. The seven round follower has a better angle of attack. YMMV.

Triad
May 20, 2003, 07:23 PM
I think the quality of materials, workmanship and design have more to do with how reliable the mag will be rather than the capacity.

tbeb
May 20, 2003, 07:28 PM
My 8-rd. magazine loaded with 7 rds. has been just as reliable as my 7-rd. magazine loaded with 7 rds.

blades67
May 20, 2003, 08:44 PM
My 8-rd. magazine loaded with 7 rds. has been just as reliable as my 7-rd. magazine loaded with 7 rds.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying an eight round magazine then doesn't it?:scrutiny:

Handy
May 20, 2003, 09:06 PM
The most reliable mags I have are 8 rounders, but I don't know how often I've used them full up.

Generally, unreliable mags have problems with the last couple rounds. If that is the case, then downloading would have no purpose.

If you're carrying a defense gun, or shooting IDPA, I would think you'd want the extra round. If there is no mag that can reliably give you 8 in your gun, get a different gun.

Art Eatman
May 20, 2003, 09:09 PM
My experience with Colt Gummint mags is that the most reliable are the ones whose feed-control lips are set properly. That's why the Good Lord invented needle-nose pliers.

:D, Art

goon
May 20, 2003, 11:29 PM
I wish they would have just left the damn things alone. The 7 rounders are known for better reliability, but the 8 round Wilsons I have seem to work equally well. They have a plastic follower that mimics the angle of the 7 rounders.
I know from experience that other 8 round mags generally suck.

Thumper
May 20, 2003, 11:46 PM
Though according to the gunrags it's not particularly gunny to say so, I believe newer Wilson 8 rounders (loaded to capacity) are perfectly reliable.

10-Ring
May 21, 2003, 01:23 AM
My 7 round Wilsons & later, my 8 rounders have been 100% reliable!

sm
May 21, 2003, 01:40 AM
Since the mag is such an important /critical part of reliabilty, I leave as little to Murphy Law as possible. Whether it be 1911 or other.

I mark my mags, have them tuned and have some used only for carry FOR THAT GUN .

I do have a Kimber that will use any mag with any ammo. Heck it'll work with a factory Kimber mag or a gummit Colt that's been stepped on...with some esoteric 250 gr lead 'huntin' loads.

I keep a set of spares for each gun for carry. I check, tune and replace spring and follower as need.

I do want to convert to the aluminun base pads though...

IMO , regardless of brand, rd count, check and tune for specific guns . Yeah, I have my druthers. All my mags are currently loaded , and I always load mags to capacity.

Handy
May 21, 2003, 02:18 AM
Can anybody tell me how to tune my HK, Glock and Sig mags for reliability?

Tamara
May 21, 2003, 02:21 AM

Depends. Are you using cheap aftermarket mags? ;)

Handy
May 21, 2003, 02:23 AM
No, I would use only Wilson aftermarket mags, but they don't make any.

Just like most 1911 manufacturers apparently don't make any reliable magazines.:)

Tamara
May 21, 2003, 02:25 AM
Do any of them actually make mags any more? :uhoh:

sm
May 21, 2003, 02:53 AM
quote:"Do any of them actually make mags any more?:uhoh: "
___

Not to my knowledge.
I am curious about these though. Anybody seen, tried, feedback or thoughts?

http://www.trippresearch.com/mags/mags.htm

WonderNine
May 21, 2003, 04:01 AM
I hear good things about the 8 round Chip McCormick Powermags.

sm
May 21, 2003, 04:12 AM
Wondernine:
Yes I've some of those for quite awhile. 1k's of rds , never a problem.I Prefer these over the Shooting Star .

47 D's are the other ones I have a bunch of.

On the range with students I'd have an assortment, of these and same in 7 rds. Student have a problem with mags kinda saved them $ on what mag .

Have /use (d)
the Wolffe, Clark's, Mec gar, Les Baer,...you name it.

Find what works, buy in quanity, tune, inspect, maintain, and break out the carnuba wax for competition and carry.

9mmepiphany
May 21, 2003, 03:35 PM
my experience has been dependable reliability with 7 round mags (shooting star) in my 1911s and "hit and miss" with the 8 round ones...but it has been awhile since i've bought new mags, and there have been alot of developments in the market...friends who shoot 1911s alot swear by the mccomacks'

i've had really good luck with the 8 round ACT-Mag for my sig 220. they are using a longer tube rather than the shorter follower. very high quality, but the finish is a bit shinney. the company are former mec-gar employees. they also make a 1911 mag being marketed through Novak.

Sean Smith
May 21, 2003, 03:56 PM
Never had a problem with .45 ACP 1911s using Wilson 8-round magazines. And I've shot them alot.

My 10mm 1911 always ran best with Colt 8-round magazines with the rounded metal followers and Wolff XP springs. Metalform sells the same mag for alot less money (the only difference is the bases). All the 9-round 10mm mags I fooled around with weren't dependable.

goon
May 23, 2003, 01:30 AM

Take them out of the plastic, load them with ammo, and stick them in the gun.
:D

SIG's, Glocks, HK's are among the most reliable out of the box guns you can buy. If one of those fails, there is something seriously wrong.
1911's can be a bit more finicky about what they will work with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which magazine is more reliable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!