Colt New Frontier: Anybody else have one?

PDA

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 03:38 PM
Recently I traded into a 3rd Gen Colt New Frontier in .44 special with an additional .44-40 cylinder. This gun has a 7.5" barrel and is in the factory box.

I'll have to say, I was considering selling or trading it on something more modern, but i'm really starting to bond with this gun.

I loaded up some 240gr SWC bullets for it and finally shot it the other day. It was so much fun and different than shooting my Glocks or other modern semi-autos.

Steve

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/dsc05561zt6.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt New Frontier: Anybody else have one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wil Terry
November 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
Sorta makes all those shellshuckin' sumbiscuits pale into insignificance.

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 05:08 PM
Yes, it does feel good to shoot something differnt and something with some history to it.

Sorta makes all those shellshuckin' sumbiscuits pale into insignificance.

It will never replace modern guns as a carry gun, but yes it does diminish their hierarchy in my gun collection.

steve

Mossyrock
November 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
I was wondering where that New Frontier would wind up...... :scrutiny: I almost bought it myself, but I just couldn't justify it. Let me know when you want to part company with it....I might be able to talk myself into it by then! :D

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 05:52 PM
I actually ended up stealing it.

Steve

Jim March
November 14, 2006, 09:06 PM
For some reason the New Frontiers don't command the prices of the SAA. Which is bizarre because it's basically the same gun, just different sights.

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
Jim,

I know it is strange, but i guess it is not original enough for some people.

I really like the idea of having the adjustable sights.

I didn't do too bad though, it only cost me a LNIB Glock 17.:neener:

Steve

The Real Hawkeye
November 14, 2006, 09:31 PM
Nice. The sights make it a better gun than the Model P SAA, but the SAA gets a higher price because it is remeniscent of the old west, when you just didn't see adjutable sights on a handgun.

Gordon
November 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
I have a 1974 2nd generation one in .44spl 7.5" that of course looks just like yours. I like New Frontiers BETTER than SAAs personally. You can get the sights right on for a number of loads, at any distance. I had a Gold Cup I removed the Ellison sight off of to put in a Wilson, DFerriswheel was kind enought to inform me that the Ellison sight interchanges with the Accro and give an upgraded sight picture!:D Less traditional , but MORE accurate!
The New Frontier is plenty strong to launch 300 grain cast bullets at 900 fps or 250 Kieths at 1100fps.I have mine sighted at 50 yards with a 250 grain Kieth (Lyman .429421) at 900 FPS,using 7.5 grains of Unique .I have an old Lawerence #120 Holster for it, but don't carry it much any more as I don't want ruin the beautifl case colors and Royal bluing!

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 09:56 PM
Gordon,

Your 2nd generation gun is probably worth a fair amount, in my research I found that only 250 2nd gens were made in .44special.

Right now i'm lobbing my 250gr Keith SWC's at around 800fps or so. I'm trying to use powder that i have instead of buying any more.

I doubt mine will ever see much of a holster either, the bluing and case hardening are just too pretty.

Steve

Colt46
November 14, 2006, 10:27 PM
Why all the SAA clone makers don't make limited runs of adjustable sighted revlovers is beyond me. They would sell all they make for sure.

ACP230
November 15, 2006, 11:19 AM
I was tempted by one in .45 Colt several years ago.
It didn't last long enough at the local gun emporium for me to make up my mind and/or raise cash.
I only regret not buying it when I come across a thread like this.

Jody Johnson
November 15, 2006, 08:06 PM
Congrats on the NF...

I've got a 5-1/2" 44 SPL, and I'm quite fond of it. Frankly, I think the NF is a "class act" and most are reasonably priced.

You, however, got a heckuva deal, so double congrats!!

For me, the good sights are a boon to "old eyes" and, it's still a Colt single action-is, and always will be, purist's views aside ( but certainly respected, nonetheless! ).

I also shoot...and have a great deal of respect for...Ruger's Blackhawk. Great sights as well, and a lot of fun to shoot...

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt New Frontier: Anybody else have one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!