Taurus ????

PDA

pablo45
November 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
I have decided when in go hunting i need a small caliber gun for coyotes,rabbit's and snake's etc, that is not too loud and fairly accurate. I am going to get a small barrel probably in a 2 inch. It will only be a pocket gun. However i can not decide what caliber. I am thinking of a .22l.r. or a .22 wsm in a Taurus 94-1. Any opinion's or suggestion's appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
November 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
The .22 mag will be LOUD in a 2" gun. I have a cheap little HP22 Phoenix Arms that fits in a pocket and is 3" 25 yards accuate with the 3" barrel installed. It's a little auto, but it really fills the bill with what you are describing. I know it's a pot metal POS, but I've never found a pocket gun this accurate. It's amazing. If it weren't so bloomin' accurate, I'd give it away or something, but it's so friggin' useful and it's feeds 100 percent, too, amazingly enough.

I also have a little NAA .22 in a folding grip that I always have along. I've taken rabbit and shot snakes with it, but it doesn't have the practical accuracy that the little HP22 does. The sight radius is TINY on that thing. They do, however, make 4" NAA minis that are a lot more shootable with the longer sight radius and are still very compact. They are also very light.

Smith and Wesson has a 9 or 10 shot aluminum .22 revolver on a J frame, I don't recall the model number, tiny little gun and very light. Any .38 special could also be used with light loads. I've killed rabbits with wadcutters and have a pet 105 grain SWC load that is really accurate and approximates a .22 in ballistics, though it's a little louder. Neat thing about the .38, it also makes a great self defense gun with 158 grain SWC +Ps, something I wouldn't say about any .22.

I've got a couple of Taurus revolvers I really like, but I've heard a lot of negative about the M94 .22s. I have absolutely no experience with 'em, though. I do have a very accurate little Rossi M511 Sportsman stainless adjustable sight 4" J frame, but sounds like it's a little bigger than you're looking for. It's not pocketable unless it's a large cargo pocket. or coat pocket. The gun is no longer made anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!