What is wrong with Amerc brass?

PDA

Plastic Cowboy
November 15, 2006, 05:37 PM
Been collecting range brass for awhile now in preperation for my purchase of a Dillon 550 in the next month or so. I shot 1000 rounds of Selliers & Bellot factory in 9mm luger so I've got that brass. Among the stuff I've collected there is some Amerc head stamped .45 ACP too!!

Now my understanding is that the primer pockets on S&B brass is very tight so it makes depriming/repriming more difficult but other than that they should reload just fine...it this correct??

And what about the Amerc brass I've collected? Why does everyone hate this stuff, I can't tell any difference visually between it and the other brands.

Can I reload this stuff or does it belong in the recycling bin??? Why???

Thanks in advance:)

If you enjoyed reading about "What is wrong with Amerc brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highlander 5
November 15, 2006, 05:55 PM
had only minor problems with S&B 9 mm brass their 45 acp forget it I had a fair amount om hand swaged the primer pockets and still had problems seating primers.
No experience with Amerc but I believe the the flash hole is either undersized or punched off center

Kruzr
November 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
You'll know why the first time you put an AMERC .45 case into the decapping/resizing die. AMERC brass is either thick or sized just a bit different than other brass and my Dillon dies don't like it at all!

My Lee FCD isn't too crazy about it either. :)

Firehand
November 15, 2006, 08:23 PM
I've reloaded hundreds of S&B cases in .45acp with no problems, seems to be good stuff.

I don't know about the Amerc .45, I do know their .30 Carbine is crappy. It seems to be thnner-walled, it's real easy to bulge it belling the case mouth.

EddieCoyle
November 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
S&B is fine. Toss the Amerc. If you don't believe me, then try it. Here's what you'll find:

1. Off center flash holes will break your decapping punches
2. Brass rips when you bell it
3. Primer pockets are loose
4. Brass rips when you insert the bullet
5. Reloads split when you shoot them

Don't say you weren't warned.

DILLONHELP
November 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
At the recent USPSA Area 2 Championship, a competitor on my squad had a failure to fire on a once-fired 45 A-Merc case reload. The primer came out of the loaded cartridge while in the magazine. After the stage was over, the ejected cartridge was recovered, and the live primer was found in the magazine. He then sorted out several other pieces of reloaded A-Merc brass, and threw them into a case cleaner for an hour. Primers on four more cartridges worked their way out during the process.
I strongly advise against reloading A-Merc brass!:cuss:

JoeHatley
November 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
I am a total range brass whore. I pick up everything, but AMERC. The "brass" they use is too brittle, and it's almost always out out of spec. Generally in the flash hole or primer pocket, but sometimes the rim or extractor cut.

Joe

SDC
November 16, 2006, 01:17 PM
I've only run across it a couple of times, but my experiences has also been that the primer pockets are either too large to begin with, or that the brass is so soft that once it expands, it won't accept a new primer.

Steve C
November 16, 2006, 01:20 PM
The main reason I toss it is, as others have said, the primer pocket is so loose that it won't hold a new primer a lot of the time.

Plastic Cowboy
November 16, 2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone-- this is exactly the information I was looking for. When I get home I will cull the Amerc from my brass collection, its just not worth the trouble.

I'm glad to hear that I can use the pile of S&B that I've accumulated though. Seems like a tight primer pocket could be beneficial in keeping them snug after several uses.

Navy joe
November 17, 2006, 01:49 AM
Use Winchester primers, they feel the most consistent in seating on the Dillon to me. With S&B I usually do not have to trim a primer pocket, just ease it in there once you feel the primer tighten up.

TheGrouch
November 17, 2006, 06:27 AM
Only experienced AMERC in .45. Absolutely cannot get proper crimp (S&W 625) due to thickness. It goes into scrap pile every time.

donkee
November 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
What's wrong with AMERC?

Everything.......

steveracer
November 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
.45ACP. I found that the bullets were actually breaking apart in-flight, and I was making three or four holes in the paper with each round fired at 10M. Scary.
I shot the rest of them with an UZI at steel plates, and will never ever buy that crap again, ever.

EddieCoyle
November 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
This is pretty funny.

On virtually every subject on every forum, you'll get two opposing sides - people that like Glocks vs. people that hate Glocks, 9mm vs .45 etc. If not opposing sides, at least you'll get a dissenting voice or two. In fact, I bet if I started a thread asking whether or not people liked the taste of antifreeze, we'd get at least couple of people that like the sweet flavor of green propylene glycol.

However, we have stumbled onto an exception: Amerc brass.

The Bushmaster
November 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
What?!? EddieCoyle. Are you saying that nobody likes Amerc???:D

Navy joe
November 17, 2006, 09:13 PM
You mean I'm not supposed to like antifreeze? Good thing I do, because if someone ever told me all I could ever have for the rest of my life was Amerc ammo I would be convinced I was in the 7th level of hell and drink a gallon of antifreeze in an attempt to escape.

waumo
November 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
Just look at piece of Amerc brass - you will know not to use it.

I've never seen any other brass that you could tell was junk just by looking
at it!:barf:

g56
November 18, 2006, 01:54 AM
When I first stumbled onto some Amerc brass years ago, the first thing that made it stand out was that about half of it wouldn't even fit in the shell holder! It's pure crap, throw it out!

:barf: Amerc :barf:

Plastic Cowboy
November 18, 2006, 02:30 AM
So let me get this straight.....are you guys trying to say that Amerc brass is bad?

j/k

Dr. Dickie
November 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
No, no. It is the NAME we don't like. The brass is okay:neener:

armoredman
November 18, 2006, 10:48 AM
Recyclers love Amerc - cause we give it to them only once used. I found some Amerc in 9mm in my brass pile - yuck.

AgentOrange
April 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
there 30 carbine cases are well known to seperate ,not just on reloads, but there factory cases. i got what i thought was a "deal" on some 50rd boxs of 30 carbine awhile back. bought 500 rounds in 50rd boxs for 5 bucks a box. took them out to the range, and nthey were extremely inconsistant. some felt underloaded, and some were obviousley OVER CHARGED. cases split right and left, numerous case seperations. i ended up having to come home and order a broken shell extractor. i called the manufacture and old them about it, and they told me to send the ammo t them for replacment, so i sent them around 350 rounds, and never seen a return cartridge from them. i didnt push the issue, i took it as a lesson learned and never bought a single piece of there ammo after that, and never will. i have around 150 rouns of there 30 carbine brass out n the shop i kept just in case i wanted to roll up some "throw away cases"

Dark Skies
April 28, 2009, 10:25 AM
"American Ammunition is dedicated to providing the best quality ammunition at the best price. Every product that we manufacture exceeds every standard in the industry."

That's from their website.

They're lying on an international scale. Nobody I know in the UK will use their stuff either.

zippy45
April 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Talk about a resurrection. The original thread was a few years old.

When I see A-merc, it goes directly to the recycle bucket, no questions asked. This is the worst brass in the world, so don't use it.

Walkalong
April 28, 2009, 01:19 PM
Size it. It feels like it is squashing the case. If an Amerc case slips through, I can feel it when sized, every time.

SlamFire1
April 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
Primers have fallen out of my AMERC 45 ACP brass. I reloaded the stuff, and primers fell out in the ammo can, or in the M1911.

Now I cull AMERC brass.

bobotech
April 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
Is this stuff rare or something? I never see it.

rscalzo
April 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
The main reason I toss it is, as others have said, the primer pocket is so loose that it won't hold a new primer a lot of the time.

I found the same thing.

billsnogo
December 10, 2009, 05:04 AM
Glad I searched first. I have 50rds of .38spcl sitting around and was thinking about reloading it, but figured I would do a search first. Glad you guys are around to keep me on the straight and narrow.

At least the box/Styrofoam will be usable for reloads ;)

LightningMan
December 10, 2009, 08:10 AM
The two .45 acp cases of A-merc brass I have reloaded would not chamber in my Kimber 1911. I will throw this stuff away from now on. LM

ljnowell
December 10, 2009, 10:16 AM
In fact, I bet if I started a thread asking whether or not people liked the taste of antifreeze, we'd get at least couple of people that like the sweet flavor of green propylene glycol.

Actually, I dont think I have ever seen green propylene glycol anytifreeze. Ethylene glycol is the original antifreeze that was green, the propylene glycol is used in the long life/non-toxic antifreeze and is usually a yellow/pink/red color to designate the difference.

But, yeah, AMERC sucks. The only case failure I ever experienced was with amerc brass.

fatelk
December 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love amerc brass. I've never had any problems with it, and I try to keep a good supply of new R-P brass to trade for it whenever I can.

They load easier, feed better, and last longer than any other brand I've tried. I can usually get 40+ loadings before they wear out, and even then they can still be used if you just trim them down. For example: .45acp brass will trim down nicely to .40 S&W and will be good for another 40+ loadings, then you can just trim it down to 9mm for 40 more. I've never been able to do this with other brands, only Amerc.

tommyintx
December 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
Previous poster trolling. 9mm/40sw/45acp have different cartridge head dimensions.. come on now.

fatelk
December 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I should have finished my post... just kidding, of course :D
Never been called a troll before..:eek:

My experience with amerc has been the same as everyone elses; pure garbage, good only for recycling.

I don't know why they even bother to make the stuff, or how they can sell it with a straight face. Rarely do you find a brand so universally bad.

Walkalong
December 10, 2009, 04:52 PM
I got it fatelk. :D

evan price
December 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
Actually, they are trying to get a government-mandated change in the formulation of ethylene glycol antifreeze so that it WON'T be sweet tasting anymore- there have been too many EG poisonings where the EG was put into sweet tea or soda and the victim didn't taste it. They want a bitter flavorant added.

I used to use a lot of A-MERC brass when I didn't have anything else. I got about 2-3 loadings out of it before the primers started falling out. Plus I had lots of primer pockets so off-center that you couldn't deprime them. Now I chuck it all in the scrap bucket.
I do have some A-MERC .223 and .38 spl and .357 Mag that seems to have better QC. It's doing fine. Maybe it's the semi-auto calibers, only, that suck.

Otherwise, A-MERC is great for filling my scrap buckets.

TooTaxed
December 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
AMERC has the worst quality control I've ever run across.

I observed one soldier firing .223 AMERC on our range...he couldn't get a decent group...though I know him as a very capable shooter...and there was a distinct difference between the sound of his shots.:confused:

Then he had a misfire...the primer fired and backed out of the case, but the powder charge didn't go off. When we checked the cartridge, there was no flash hole!!!:what: I still have that cartridge...

Clarence
December 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
Amerc brass is crap, it sucks. You can tell its Amerc as soon as it hits the sizing die.

Throw it away immediately.

Linear Thinker
December 15, 2009, 11:06 PM
Another member of A-MERC fan club here. One of the fellow CAS shooters gave me his 45 Colt brass supply, as he was switching to another caliber.
Most of the A-MERC brass split upon firing the 1st reload, with mild Cowboy-type loads.
I tossed the rest.

I cannot understand how a domestic maker can make a product this bad.
I had better results reloading Nigerian .308 brass!

LT

Walkalong
December 15, 2009, 11:08 PM
You can tell its Amerc as soon as it hits the sizing die.Yep. If one slips by inspections, I always feel it when it's being sized. Feels like it is being crushed when it isn't.

hydraulicman
December 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
i've loaded ameic cases a few times. then i just shoot them at the range and i don't pick them up. along with my military brass .

medalguy
April 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, great news. I FINALLY found out what Amerc brass is good for! When we had a lot of snow recently and I developed some pretty big pot holes in the road to the house, I put all the accumulated Amerc brass into the hole with some clay, and after driving on it for three weeks, I can accurately report that the Amerc brass worked very well to hold the clay together and fill the pothole. Send me all your Amerc brass-- I feel summer rains coming on! :D:D:D

bds
April 14, 2010, 12:16 AM
I can verify that most of the negative comments about A-MERC brass from my past experience (mis-aligned flash hole, poor case dimensions, poor case finish, etc.).

While going through the range brass from this past weekend's shooting, I found enough "new looking" A-MERC brass in the mix to think that someone shot a new box of them. I carefully inspected the spent casings and all the flash holes looked good. I am planning to clean these separately and see if the deprime/sizing goes ok and reinspect them. Perhaps they improved their production/quality control process? I doubt it, but will give them my benefit of doubt by "stress testing" through repeated reloading. Of course, older A-MERC brass you may pick up in the range brass mix may not necessarily be new, so I would be cautious with them (I normally segregate them for scrap).

I am planning to "stress test" these cases with various powders and charges that are near max. I will also use several new Winchester/Remington/Federal/Speer/PMC, etc. cases to use as reference and see which brand cases fail first or show signs of stress.

I got cases that have over 50-100+ reloads so this may take a while.

jr_roosa
April 14, 2010, 01:55 PM
I am planning to "stress test" these cases with various powders and charges that are near max.

Vaya con dios.

Tell us how it goes.

J.

TooTaxed
April 14, 2010, 03:56 PM
BDS, please be carefull...you are dealing with cases that have been proven to been manufactured with unusually poor quality control in the past...and, probably for that reason, there seem to be few of them available, while better cases are plentiful. I suggest that, if you are intrigued enough to test them, you most definitely wear good safety glasses and cease at the cratered primer indentation stage rather than go higher. There's just not much to gain in the way of knowlege...:scrutiny:

bds
April 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
I suggest that, if you are intrigued enough to test them, you most definitely wear good safety glasses and cease at the cratered primer indentation stage rather than go higher. There's just not much to gain in the way of knowlege

TooTaxed, will proceed with extreme caution. :D

walkalong, thanks for the PM. Actually, I have been reloading occasional A-MERC brass "carefully" over the years - never really had much problem with them other than flash holes not quite centered. I do agree, of all the brass I have used, it is the crapiest.

However, these "new" looking cases are actually well made - I was surprised that they were A-MERC head stamped (first I thought they were brand new PMC). That's why I thought it would be fun to do a stress test to see what happens.

Vaya con dios.
Goggles - Check
Hearing Protection - Check
Gloves - Check
Family jewel protection - Check

Amen.

medalguy
April 14, 2010, 08:23 PM
Honestly, when you can buy 1x fired 9mm brass for 2 - 2.5 cents each, why bother with Amerc?

bds
April 14, 2010, 10:37 PM
Honestly, when you can buy 1x fired 9mm brass for 2 - 2.5 cents each, why bother with Amerc?

I have 5 gallon buckets of brass for each caliber and normally scrap the A-MERC brass while sorting.

Only reason for the stress test is that the batch of A-MERC brass looked much higher in quality than what I have seen in the past - So the curiosity in me wanted to find out if they improved their production/quality control process.

I shoot regularly anyways. I will just replace some of the brass with marked A-MERC brass and see how they compare and when/how they fail.

evan price
April 15, 2010, 03:07 AM
Interesting.

I will add that I have some A-MERC brass in .38 special and .357 magnum. They are not bad... Still not as nice as CBC for example. It appears to me that the .45 acp is the creme-de-la-creme of asstastic for A-MERC.

I just had a few .45 A-MERC that still had the little circle that would be punched out of the flash hole attached to the rim of the flash hole, inside the cartridge. And, it was still off center. This would have been recent production, in the last 12 months.

FROGO207
April 15, 2010, 06:49 AM
I have about a dozen newer casings in 38 SPL and have about 10 reloads on them so far I wonder if they will make the 100 reload mark some of my other WIN and Fed have done.

Ky Larry
April 15, 2010, 08:56 AM
I've put several thousand reloads of all type cases thru my Kimber Custom Defender II. It's had exactly 1 failure to feed. It was an A-MERc case.Sorted my brass and culled this junk. Crimped the case mouth with pliers and put it in the recycle bucket. Don't waste your time with this trash.

ljnowell
April 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
I wish I would have saved it, but I had an Amerc come apart in a beatiful fashion just the other day. I happened to come across a few pieces in a bag of mixed .357 mag brass. I went ahead and loaded them, thinking I would track it. All three of them split, and one split all the way to the base of the case. Granted, these were not light target loads. They were loaded 14gr of 2400 with a 158gr LSWC. Just something I thought I would throw out there.

Barr
November 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
I just finished reloading a handful of.45 ACP with 200 grain LSWC and the cases loaded with the Amerc brass would not chamber in a 1911 pattern pistol. The other mixed headstamp brass had no problems.

A new lesson learned yet again that Amerc brass is not worth the time to troubleshoot.

jcwit
November 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
If nothing else at a $1.75 a lb. for scrap brass its worth it to throw into the scrap bucket. Turned in $1,000 worth last year.

Taroman
November 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
I got some in .44 Special. The case rim is so thick and oddly formed that its difficult to fit into my shellholder. Scrap on sight!

Ian Sean
November 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
Whenever the subject of anything "Amerc" comes up, I always think of this picture.....Amerc should use it for advertising if you ask me.

http://www.blueloonfinearts.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/LestersAmmo_bear450.jpg

bds
November 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
Whenever the subject of anything "Amerc" comes up, I always think of this picture.....Amerc should use it for advertising if you ask me.
You know, I have read many many posts ripping A-MERC brass but your picture of hunter experiencing a misfire when faced with a bear ... priceless!

Thanks for making my day. :D

My experience with A-MERC brass is the same - very poor quality control with inconsistent case dimensions, not centered flash hole, etc.

RevolvingGarbage
November 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
I bought some old, old amerc .38spl from a guy along with a few reloading books. The books were a great deal, the ammo, not so much. About 10 of the bullets were seated so crooked they wouldn't drop into the chambers of my revolver. Many were also cast poorly, with a "driving band" visible behind the ogive of the bullet on one side, but not on the other side.

I shot up the least deformed of the bunch and disassembled the rest, I think I even made a thread on here about the whole experience. I still have all of the brass. the flash holes are infact off center, but not so much as to break a decapping pin. I use the brass for snakeshot-shells or dummy cartridges for practicing reloads or dryfire.

Redbeard55
November 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
Must be the worst brass ever made. Everytime I see an Amerc case, I throw the case away. I simply won't reload the Amerc brass. Period

Smokey Joe
November 30, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ian Sean wins the thread with his "Lester's Ammunition" ad!!

Ye gods, old zombie thread, but EVERYBODY has to chime in with how bad is Amerc brass. Including me. :D

rondog
November 30, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'll pick up all the AMERC brass I can find! It fills up my scrap bucket nicely.

achildofthesky
November 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
The only problem I have with AMERC brass (I have it in 44 mag) is they crack at the mouth.... After 10 - 14 loadings (;->) I wish I had a bunch more of it. It ain't the greatest but the case life certainly is fine and I crimp the crap out of it for my 44 carbine.

I don't sell Amerc in the brass I occasionally peddle though...
Patty

Johnny Guest
November 30, 2010, 09:09 PM
Friends, this thread has died out and been resurrected THREE TIMES now. Usually I'll given anyone's favorite brand of anything the benefit of a doubt. Amerc brass is one item that doesn't earn that benefit.

There was a time when I thought there was just a short run of poor quality brass. Nope, sorry. I've seem different types of packaging, I've handloaded several examples, and I've conferred with some frfiends who are truly expert handloaders.

I'll have to say that this is one topic that has been done to death. If you notice someone starting a NEW thread on Amerc brass, please drop me a PM so I can close that one, too.

Over and done with.
Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "What is wrong with Amerc brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!