44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk

PDA

mugsie
November 16, 2006, 07:28 AM
I just purchased a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk - whoopee! I believe the previous owner was a little old lady who only shot it on Sundays while on her way to church (a total of two blocks travel time). It appears to be in almost pristine condition and I'm anxious to shoot it this weekend. So people, how do you like your Redhawks? I hand load so I can tailor whatever loads are comfortable and accurate. It also came with an additional set of Pachmayr presentation grips as well as the scope rings. Can you tell I'm happy!:D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Working Man
November 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
Congrads, they are great guns and lots of fun.

I have a stainless with in 7" that was one of the first firearms I bought. All
these years later it is still one of my favorites. I usualy go through 100 to 150
rnds each time I bring it to the range. Since you reload you can make of it
exactly what you need.

You'll have to post pics and a range report.

svtruth
November 16, 2006, 09:59 AM
I bought a Bisley Vaquero and a lever action carbine to keep it company.
The .44 is a great round. I can tell it is going to push me into reloading and into learning to hit the target at 100 yards.

mtnbkr
November 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
I like mine. I have a blued 5.5" model. My "pet load" for it is a 300gr WFN from Cast Performance over a warm charge of H110. Folks push that same bullet to 1300fps in that gun. At the 1200fps level, it was a bit harsh for more than a cylinder. Since there's nothing in Va that needs that much power, I backed down a bit. I haven't chrono'd that load yet, but I've been told to expect about 1100fps.

It carries well in Galco's DAO holster.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=3026&GunID=309

I have set of Hogue wood stocks on mine. The various rubber grips didn't suit me and the factory wood stocks didn't give me the control I wanted. The Hogues are a bit big though. There's no "middle ground" WRT grips for this gun. :(

Chris

Tom C.
November 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
My .44 Redhawk was bought in the 81, and had a 7 barrel. I wore out the barrel with over enthusiastic cleaning. It now has a 5 barrel. I prefer the shorter barrel. It goes with my 5 .45 Colt Redhawk and my 5 .45 Blackhawks and Bisley. I now have Marlins in .44 and .45 to pair them up with.

LiquidTension
November 18, 2006, 06:01 AM
I picked up a nearly pristine 5.5" stainless Redhawk in .44 a few months ago. I love it, but I haven't shot it much due to some issues with my reloading gear which is now packed up for moving. I put some Hogue rubber grips on it and took them off after about 1.3 seconds. They were ugly and uncomfortable. The original wood grips are ok, but I'd prefer something with finger grooves.

Hammerxc
November 18, 2006, 08:42 AM
The Redhawk is a fine handgun, and it sounds like it was a great find for you. Congrats!

Kor
November 20, 2006, 02:12 AM
They may be out of production now, but the best-feeling grips I've had so far on my own Redhawk are the Uncle Mike's Craig Spegel-designed Santoprene grips. They're slightly firmer and less sticky than Pachmayrs or Hogues - I hate Hogue Monogrips and Pachmayr Grippers, they always feel awkward and horrible to me. If you can live without the finger grooves, the Pachmayr Presentation grips are pretty good, although they are significantly fatter in the hand than the Uncle Mike's grips. Butler Creek bought the production rights to Uncle Mike's grips some time back, but I'm not sure if they kept the Redhawk grips in production.

GunNut
November 20, 2006, 07:38 PM
Congrats, seem like Christmas is coming early for a lot of you guys around here.

Steve

usmccpl
November 20, 2006, 10:53 PM
A feller I was hunting with this weekend tried to buy my Redhawk after watching me drop a large buck at 100 yards. I told him my fingers would be sold first.The only problem I can for see with it is that it really likes Garrett 330 hammerheads and I cant afford more than one box of them a year.

one shot one kill

GunNut
November 20, 2006, 10:58 PM
usmccpl,

Congrats on the great shot. Open sights or does your gun have a scope?

You should try reloading for it. You could probably damn near duplicate that 330gr Hammerhead load yourself for much less money.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!