what to do in case of malfunctions in a bolt .270 and semi .22?

PDA

rebbryan
May 21, 2003, 02:35 AM
i got a savage bolt in .270 and rem 597 semi .22 and was wondering what's the best thing to do if i pull the trigger and the round doesn't fire. they didn't really cover it that much in the manuals :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "what to do in case of malfunctions in a bolt .270 and semi .22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
May 21, 2003, 05:26 AM
Typically, you keep it pointed in a safe direction for at least 10 seconds then cycle the action... hopefully in such a manner that allows a repeat attempt on the round in question. That's what I was taught anyway. Truthfully, I'm the curious type and after two or three seconds, want to get a look at the round to try and see what might have happened.

But safety first. ALWAYS! :)

blue86buick
May 25, 2003, 03:49 PM
I've noticed with my 597 that if you slowly pull the bolt back, at about the halfway point, you'll hear or feel a "click". The round is still being held on the bolt, and you can then move the bolt back foward to re-chamber the round. You might have to use your finger to align it though. At this point, the hammer is recocked, and you can try firing the round again.

Andrew Wyatt
May 25, 2003, 03:59 PM
I just eject the round and carry on about my business.

if it's a hang fire, and makes it to the ground before it goes off, then you're good.

blue86buick
May 26, 2003, 12:14 AM
yeah, that's probably a better idea. With the price per round of .22LR ammo, it's not worth the time to fret over a round not going off. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "what to do in case of malfunctions in a bolt .270 and semi .22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!