anybody CCW a 4 inch revolver?

PDA

Whirlwind06
November 16, 2006, 12:44 PM
Looking on the Auction sites I'm seeing a lot of 4 inch 357 revolvers, at a fairly good price. So my question is it possible to CCW a 4 inch revolver say a Ruger Security Six?

If you enjoyed reading about "anybody CCW a 4 inch revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PointOneSeven
November 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
Some like a bigger revolver as it stays put when walking the town, and won't fall out of your waistband like a snubby may. I've carried a 6 1/2" Taurus, but it was with an oversized flannel shirt. Yes, it can be done.

Old Fuff
November 16, 2006, 01:54 PM
If you want to carry a mid-frame/4" revolver the best answer I've found is an inside-waistband holster and top quality belt to help support the weight. But you may have to buy your pants one size larger to accommodate both you and the gun.

enfield
November 16, 2006, 03:47 PM
I plan to try it -- I have a 'new' used 4" Model 66 on the way.

go_bang
November 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
There's always the option of a vertical shoulder holster.

GRIZ22
November 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
I've carried a 4" often. I don't see any particular problem except it is comfortable in an appendix carry unless you are really a big (tall) person.

The hardest parts to hide in a revolver are the grips and the cylinder, a longer barrel doesn't make it that much harder to conceal. IWB holster and shoulder holster are two solutions that already have been mentioned.

Brian Williams
November 16, 2006, 04:56 PM
I carry my S&W 65 with a 4" barrel as much as I can.

Warren
November 16, 2006, 05:05 PM
I have an S&W 25-13 on the way so I will be soon.

357wheelgunner
November 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
I constantly carry a 4" model 65 or 66, no one knows the difference if you pack it in a quality leather IWB.

I don't know what the big deal is......

Reloader
November 16, 2006, 07:38 PM
4" 629 in a Kramer #3. I can hide it under a sport shirt. Never been "made" yet. 3 reloads and maion battery of .44 special silvertips.

Standing Wolf
November 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
I carry four-inch Pythons now and then.

bakert
November 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
Although not my everyday gun, I carry an old 4" model 10 "skinny barrel" S&W in an IWB holster at times. Very concealable and not too heavy.

VA27
November 16, 2006, 11:35 PM
When I was (much) younger, I carried a nickle plated 4" M29. It was the only gun I had, so I carried it on duty and off.

Arcticfox
November 17, 2006, 12:38 AM
Ditto on the 4 inch 629!

I was wearing a baggy sweat shirt and a long jacket. Perfect stealth!
Of course, this only works in the winter :)

Will5A1
November 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
I comfortably carry a 4" M64 IWB, and have 6 rounds on a speed strip in a dump pouch on my belt.

Bacchus
November 17, 2006, 10:40 AM
Definitely can be done and can be quite comfortable--especially with a quality IWB holster.

Johnny Guest
November 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
In the mid-1970s, as a young deputy sheriff, my service sidearm was a .357 - - First a Highway Patrolman, then a pre-27, and later a model 19. I also owned the obligatory .38 snub, of course. For special details in plainclothes or sporting purposes, I often concealed a .357, and believe me, the M19 was a LOT more comfortable than the N-frames. :p I really favored a .45 auto and that was my principal off duty carry.

When felling "retro," I used to carry a 1940's era S&W Military & Police in an old style FBI type holster. I fired it in qualifications a least once a year, and left some of the younger troops shaking their heads.
--You see that ol' *bleep* Guest with his wore-out wheel gun?
--Yeah, and the ol' *bleep* can SHOOT the dang thing, too.

Since retirement, I find myself carrying an alloy-framed .38 more and more. My best compromise between comfort, concealability, and efficiency is probably my Colt Cobra with the fairly unusual four-inch barrel. It only weighs about 16 ounces and packs nicely in an belt slide or in a lightweight shoulder holster. With the longer barrel, the sight radius makes it easy to shoot well, and there's significant added velocity over a two-inch Colt Agent or S&W M37.

Best
Johnny

RevolvingCylinder
November 17, 2006, 01:08 PM
Absolutely.
There's always the option of a vertical shoulder holster.
My favorite method.

rtl
November 17, 2006, 10:28 PM
I do sometimes carry a 4" GP100 in a Don Hume belt slide at 5:00 and occassionally IWB sans holster at 1:00.

MCgunner
November 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
It ain't the bulk/size of the medium frames that keeps me from totin' 'em, it's the weight. They're just too danged heavy. I tote my 33 ounce Ruger P90 on occasion, though, so I know it can be done. I just ain't that into it. I have a couple of medium frame 4" guns that could be candidates, my M66 Taurus which is a GREAT shooter or my M10 heavy barrel Smith and Wesson. But, I have J frames that are SO much easier to tote, I can't figure why I should bother with the big guns. The Taurus, well, .357 magnum is a reason I guess. I think an SP101 3" would be a lot easier to carry, though, and a more sane choice in a carry gun. I don't have one yet. But, I have a nice Milt Sparks rig for the P90 and .45ACP ain't exactly a mouse caliber. ;) It also seems to have less of a lump in my waste, but a good holster like the summer special for the Taurus would eliminate that "lump" feeling from the cylinder I bet.

GunnyBob
November 19, 2006, 12:40 AM
4" GP-100 on a regular basis when dressing casually.

Eightball
November 19, 2006, 01:04 AM
Not yet, but when I get that license, I plan on packing my 620 around whenever dress allows it.

enfield
November 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
So who's got a recommendation for a belt holster for a 4" K-frame?

johndoe1027
November 29, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have a spandex/velcro holster made by Bushwhacker that goes around my torso that can hold any gun and I've been carrying my 3" barrel (and 3" cylinder) Taurus 4410 since I got it and it is quite confortable. The cylinder is about the same diameter as the speed-six I carried before the Taurus, and the overall length is comprable to a 4" 357. The longer gun almost pokes the top of my newly aquired love handles but NO ONE notices the 5 heavy rounds under my polo or button up shirt.
I'll have to try the IWB when I can find one.

B36
November 29, 2006, 08:20 PM
N frame 44s often carried on the belt. Either IWB or OWB. Ti 329PD is my lightweight carry gun:D

jlundy46
November 29, 2006, 09:04 PM
I regularly carry a S&W Model 586 four inch in a Galco Fletch or Don Hume pancake holster. I have a Colt four inch Trooper MK III on the way which I plan to carry as well. The Trooper MK III was my first duty weapon in the early 70s and I sometimes carried a six inch in a vertical shoulder holster.

John

jonsidneyb
November 30, 2006, 02:15 AM
I CCW a 4 inch at times.

Nothing wrong with them at all. They work as good as they ever did.

ArchAngelCD
November 30, 2006, 02:51 AM
I too have CCW's my S&W 4" Mag. at times. I use a leather pancake holster. I do switch out the grips since the Mike's combat grips that are stock on the gun are very large and are the noticeable part. I bought grips from Pachmayr that are much thinner but still support my hand well. I like the originals for the range and at home but the Pachmayr Compac grips are great for CCW applications.

Glamdring
November 30, 2006, 03:05 AM
I have CCW 4" security Six & 4" 629 at the same time using a 5.11 Vest (carried them in the hidden shoulder holster pockets), with Kel Tec P11 & P32 in pants pockets.

Was proving to a friend that real guns could be CCW. He had complained about trying to CCW a G27, and got a P32 (he upgraded to P3at when they came out) for CCW and leaves the G27 in the car.

jlundy46
November 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
Every now and then, when I feel particularly pesky, I carry this in a shoulder holster. :what:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/jlundy46/DirtyHarry3small.jpg

bigmike45
November 30, 2006, 03:53 PM
Since shortening my Ruger Redhawk from 5.5" to 4" I have carried it several times. I bought a DeSantis OWB Pancake that is very comfortable for carry.I might order an IWB for it in the near future. Here she is:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/4inchRedhawkRight.jpg

and in the holster
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/NewHolster1s.jpg

White Horseradish
November 30, 2006, 04:02 PM
I have a very nice open-top pancake holster that I use for my Model 10 on and off. Even with a larger than stock grips it does not stick out any more than a 1911.

I don't know who made it, though. I got it off eBay for $10.

johndoe1027
November 30, 2006, 09:24 PM
Big Mike, some pretty erotic stuff there. You might get censored or something.

denfoote
November 30, 2006, 09:37 PM
I sometimes hoof around my 28-2, but not very often. When I do, it's in a DeSantis #2 Belt scabbard.

Rob1035
November 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
I stick a 4" HB M10 in the belt on a pretty regular basic. It doesn't hide as well as my Glock 26 or a snub, but the barrel sort of acts like an anchor and it rides pretty well. One thing I've found as simply a concerned-for-his-safety citizen is that concealing a full sized pistol, while difficult, is very comforting. Not necessarily comfortable, like the Man said, comforting.

jonsidneyb
November 30, 2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe it is just the way I dress, but I have found for me, if I can carry concealed something like a Colt Commander I can carry a 4-inch N-frame. Once I have enough material to cover the grip it seems like the sky is the limit so long as the barrel is not too long. I can hide a full sized service pistol or 4 inch revolver about equally. It is those times that I am wearling less that I have a problem. If the only thing I have on is a TShirt just about the only think I can carry is a J-frame using a Bahrami Hip-grip. I jump from Giant to small real fast. In T-Shirt weather I carry a 3 inch J-frame tucked using the hip-grip and a backup revolver in the front pocket. All other times I can carry just about anything I want.

For me a 4 inch revolver is just as concealable as any service sized Auto.

RustyShackelford
December 1, 2006, 02:18 AM
I have a Bladetech paddle holster that I use in cross draw or FBI high ride. It's a MFer to hide but you can do it.

You'd be better off with a high quality J frame S&W or Taurus .38/.357 DA only revolver for CCW.

Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "anybody CCW a 4 inch revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!