Is The Simpsons pro-gun, anti-gun, or whatever?

PDA

TheOtherOne
January 5, 2003, 05:59 PM
I can't decide but it's a good show either way.

There is the Halloween episode where Jesse James and all those old famous outlaws come out of their graves and convince Springfield to give up their guns and then when they finally do, they take over the city.

And then there is the episode where Homer buys a gun and uses it for everything (like turning the lights off, etc.) and hides it in the vegetable crisper because the boy would never look there! :) ... Marge finally takes the kids and leaves until he promises to get rid of the gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is The Simpsons pro-gun, anti-gun, or whatever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 5, 2003, 06:01 PM
They're pro commedy.

I don't think they're pro OR anti gun. They'll skewer anyone and anything equally.

South Park is another example of this.

Lone_Gunman
January 5, 2003, 06:13 PM
I think the Simpsons is pretty much anti everything.

Justin
January 5, 2003, 09:41 PM
I'm with Mike, 'The Simpsons' is happy to make fun of anyone or anything.

Though, from what I've heard and seen, creator Matt Groening (SP) is very much left-of-center.

Okiecruffler
January 5, 2003, 09:53 PM
Mainly I think it's just funny, but did you notice that at the end of "Homer gets his gun" Marge retrieved the gun. I think the message there (if the SImpsons has a message, and I think that's stretching it) was that gun owners had to be responsible. Honestly, if Homer was your neighbor would you want him to have a gun? Especially if you were Flanders?

Pointman
January 5, 2003, 10:17 PM
There was one episode many many years ago where in Bart's chalk board intro he was writing "Seven days is NOT too long to wait for a handgun" 100 times....

HABU
January 5, 2003, 10:23 PM
Didn't "1911" come up on the cash register in one episode?

enichols
January 5, 2003, 10:29 PM
My favorite part of that episode:
"I now declare this town... utterly defenseless!"
-Mayor Quimby after completing the disarmament of springfield.

10-Ring
January 5, 2003, 10:33 PM
In the opening credits and Maggy is scanned in the market, the readout is "NRA4EVR" I'd guess they SImpsons are pro-gun

JackShandy
January 6, 2003, 12:02 AM
...Gotta love Homer!

bbrins
January 6, 2003, 12:09 AM
I've got a VHS tape that someone recorded the Simpsons on, it reads $847.63 at least on the couple of episodes that I checked. Now I'm gonna have to check the whole tape, you've got me curious. :scrutiny:

556A2
January 6, 2003, 12:09 AM
Another Homer Sig, so true with the Antis its sad.

Gordon
January 6, 2003, 12:14 AM
Simpsons are cool, its good to laugh at ones self, its what separates the liberals from conservatives; the liberals never laugh at their stupidity.:D

bastiat
January 6, 2003, 12:20 AM
Since lisa seems to be the 'conscience' of the show, it leans left. However, they don't have any sacred cows, so they'll skewer whoever they can.

South Park has been doing a much sharper job at politcal satire for quite awhile now (and even thowing in poo jokes along the way). And more of their commentary really savages the wacky left.

twoblink
January 6, 2003, 03:00 AM
contraversy = ratings,
ratings = $$$

therefore; Simpsons are pro-contraversy. So they'll mix it up in whatever way will generate the most contraversy..

South Park? They are pro-stereotyping to the point of rediculousness.

I love both, the only time they are offensive is when you take them seriously..

Pendragon
January 6, 2003, 05:56 AM
In the hand gun episode, the NRA types are appalled at Homers unsafe actions and they promptly kick him out.

I found the quote on firearmnews.com/quote :

"There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face." - Krusty the Clown

bpisler
January 6, 2003, 06:26 AM
bbrins
In the early shows the cash register did show NRA4EVR but they changed it a few years ago.

Bahadur
January 6, 2003, 06:38 AM
The show hints at left-wing sentiments, but also demonstrates libertarian principles. I'd have to say that it is a creation of a snobby, possibly elitist, libertarian. :)

Kevlarman
January 6, 2003, 06:54 AM
Actually, the cash register never showed "NRA4EVER" on any normal episodes. The only time it showed up that way was on the "Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular."

Besides, that eipsode also showed Matt Groening as a blad, one-eyed redneck who shot the cameraman.

Sean Smith
January 6, 2003, 09:36 AM
Yeah, The Simpsons tries to bust anyone's balls it can, and often does so quite well. It mocks what the writers think is stupidity in general, or just good joke fodder. I haven't seen it lately, but it was good at it for a very long time.

South Park has always been kind of inconsistent in quality, but often very funny and has expressed open hatred for alot of liberal icons/sacred cows. At worst, they are still Anti-Political Correctness to the Nth degree. For instance, they really hate Barbara Streisand.

:evil:

I don't look for shows that are ideologically consistent at all times. I look for shows that are GOOD, and don't try to insult your intelligence by brainwashing you with daft ideology.

mjustice
January 6, 2003, 10:03 AM
Kevlarman has it right. The only time NRA4EVR showed up on the register was the Episode spectacular.

One interview of Matt Groening I read made it seem like he was an ACLU type, but was, in fact, pro-gun. I'll see if I can dig it up.

MJ

Mark Tyson
January 6, 2003, 10:21 AM
I LOVE the Simpsons! The Simpsons series is the zenith of Western civilization. All other works of art and literature pale in comparison.

Seriously, I think they are libertarian on social issues and I think the writers have no problem with responsible gun ownership.

Remember, in the episode where Homer gets the gun, in the end they are saved from Snake(the hardened criminal type) by the local NRA group?

Remember how the gun club is aghast at Homer's reckless use of his gun?

Remember in the Halloween episode, when Springfield bans all guns, the mayor says (paraphrasing here):
"I now declare our town completely defenseless!"

Bottom line: the show makes me laugh, and we could all use a little of that.

Don Gwinn
January 6, 2003, 10:31 AM
Sometimes it's enough that a show is funny and well-done.

"You told me that gun was gone! You lied to me, Homer. . . "
"But Marge! I honestly thought you wouldn't find out!"

mjustice
January 6, 2003, 11:16 AM
[whoops... double post.. sorry]

TheOtherOne
January 6, 2003, 11:26 AM
All these Simpsons quotes always get me rolling! :D

South Park has always been kind of inconsistent in quality, but often very funny and has expressed open hatred for alot of liberal icons/sacred cows. At worst, they are still Anti-Political Correctness to the Nth degree. For instance, they really hate Barbara Streisand. South Park is usually great! I love the episode where they go on a field trip to see the cows that will eventually be used for veal. Most of the kids are upset that the little calves are going to be slaughtered but Cartman is hilarious: Oooh... I want that one, he looks delicious. Then the kids decide to go back that night and rescue the calves and hide them in Stan's bedroom. Stan becomes a vegeterian... but it turns out great because at the end we find out what not eating meat does to you! :eek:

Okiecruffler
January 6, 2003, 03:01 PM
"Stan becomes a vegeterian... but it turns out great because at the end we find out what not eating meat does to you!"

Like what, protect you from things like colon cancer and heart disease?:neener:

(Ducking behind soapbox to dodge lumps of dead cow soon to be thrown):what:

spacemanspiff
January 6, 2003, 03:25 PM
bring back family guy!!! :mad:

Sean Smith
January 6, 2003, 03:26 PM
I dunno, the "South Park" episode where Lemmiwinks the gerbil goes on his "journey" through Mr. Garrison's "special friend" would be pretty tough to beat. :what: :evil:

WyldOne
January 6, 2003, 03:41 PM
I like the Simpsons, but I didn't really like the one where Homer got a gun. He just sucked with it, man.

Then again, I probably take it too seriously. I can't help it. :)

sleepyhead
January 6, 2003, 07:43 PM
Wasn't there a Halloween episode where Lisa wishes for world peace, her wish is granted and all of the world's weapons are destroyed, and the result is an invasion by aliens armed with wooden clubs? I thought it was pretty pro-gun.

answerguy
January 6, 2003, 08:01 PM
Love the Simpsons, too. But one of my all-time favorite gun segments is from 'King of the Hill'. The one where Hank goes to a department store and says "Can you tell me where your children's gun department is?". That cracked me up!

Yohan
January 6, 2003, 08:03 PM
http://www.duffzone.co.uk/grabpics/thumbs/homer_gun_thumb.gif

Deadman
January 6, 2003, 10:08 PM
(Homer shaving shoulders)

Homer (singing) - "Shavin' my shoulderzz."

Marge - " Homer there's a woman at the door and she want's to talk to you about some car accident?! "

Homer (taking double barreled pump action shotgun (?) from behind the toilet) - " Marge take the kids out back...!"

---

Homer opens door to talk to female art gallery director, who congratulates Homer for his 'outsider art' that hit her car, during which Homer places the shotgun into Maggie's crib.

Marge - " What's going on I got worried when I didn't hear any shots? "

-----

Me - BWAHAHAHAHA http://phatcat.animedominion.com/emoticon/laugh.gif

Peter Gun
January 6, 2003, 11:02 PM
I think the simpsons are pro-gun, but not strict second amendment beleivers. The show about disarming the town was unquestionably showing how dumb absolute gun control is, but quite often the show seems to suggest that guns should be more restricted. But it is just a cartoon. A very funny cartoon. On second thought their main point seems to be that absolute anything is a bad idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is The Simpsons pro-gun, anti-gun, or whatever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!