RCBS hand primer question- Large Primers

PDA

Luggernut
November 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
I've been using this for a while and the 9mms and .40s are easy to seat the primer- and there is plenty more motion of travel if I needed it on the hand pull. However- with my .45ACP (variety of cases) it seems like the primer doesn't seat fully until the very end of the pull of the hand primer. Although the primers are all seating deep enough, I'd like a little extra room for travel. Anyone else notice this?

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS hand primer question- Large Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sharps Shooter
November 16, 2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I've noticed differences in the about of travel when I squeeze the handle on my RCBS handpriming tool depending on which cartridge cases I'm priming. I've never run completely out of travel though. Then again, I've never reloaded .45 ACP. I think it probably has something to do with the way the cases are being held in the shell holder. Have you tried a different shell holder? I too would prefer a little more travel. But I guess if the primers are seating deep enough it doesn't matter.

Nhsport
November 16, 2006, 08:58 PM
I also would try a different shell holder . Another thought is what brand of primer you are useing? I have found that CCI primers are more difficult to seat , They are said to be harder ar slightly a different size,try winchester, I enjoy them for the simple fact that the large pistol primers only come one way as opposed to other mfgs haveing both regular and magnum types .

GRIZ22
November 16, 2006, 09:55 PM
Small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, and large rifle all come in standard and magnum. Thre are also some mil-spec primers like CCI #34 LR for loading semi-auto 7.62 NATO and 30-06 for M1 Garand.

Luggernut
November 17, 2006, 12:22 AM
I'm using Winchester primers. I acutally have used another shell holder as well.. no difference. RCBS is sending me another primer rod... maybe mine is to short.

Joelk
November 18, 2006, 04:44 PM
I made a new rod just a little longer for mine (out of a broken decapping pin, not sure which brand). Works great.

Ol` Joe
November 18, 2006, 05:12 PM
The case rim thickness and the size(depth) of the shellholder slot will affect the lenght the primer ram will have to travel to seat the primer. Different cases and shellholders will change the way the tool feels. As long as the primers are fully seating I wouldn`t worry about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS hand primer question- Large Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!