Mods, Closed threads

PDA

sefus
November 16, 2006, 05:07 PM
Can you please stop closing threads? I understand the need to not allow posts containg/advocating illegal activity, thread drift, slander, and maybe even heated debates but of the six threads I have opened so far today, five were closed. I see closed threads more often than open ones on the topics that might actually be interesting. Just a request to check yourselves on The High Road.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods, Closed threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeSpectre
November 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
It's generally good form to PM a mod and ask them WHY a thread was closed. Usually they have a pretty good reason, or else they might reconsider and re-open a thread.

real_name
November 16, 2006, 05:20 PM
...but of the six threads I have opened so far today, five were closed.

It's in a nutshell right there.
Nobody starts that many threads a day so you are without doubt rehashing previously covered topics, that would be why the threads are being terminated, not because anyone has anything against you personally.
Read more, post less, start threads rarely. The search function is a great thing.

And try to be nice with the mods, they are actually some of the best mods on the web.

sefus
November 16, 2006, 05:55 PM
I post little, I read lots. Its not a personal thing, I dont even post in most the threads I read, but think there is more to go in many. If they have been open and active for more than todya, then they are still active and I dont see the reason to close.

Here are the threads I can remember offhand, that werent duplicates (obviously ok to close), I opened today that were closed with no decent reason in my brain, at least none was given.:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=234782 - Defenetly lots of slander which is unfortunate by member os the High Road, but seeing as this is a primarily conservative website, it is expected. There were some interesting reviews of the proposed plan though.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=234780 - the 'off topic' commenents would still be helpful to a person doing research on teh subject, and it closes the topic for any further help to the poster.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=234753 - and actual discussion was still happening here too.

real_name
November 16, 2006, 06:23 PM
When you said threads you had opened I took that to mean threads you had instigated.
Not that any of this is my business anyway, I responded as I appreciate the good job the mods do on this site, especially given the level of argument sometimes.

Justin
November 16, 2006, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry but every one of those threads was closed for a legitimate reason.

THR, as a forum, exists for a fairly narrow purpose: the advancement and advocacy of responsible firearms ownership.

Threads that are divisive, off-topic, or have more noise than signal can and will be closed by moderators at their discretion.

gdvan01
November 17, 2006, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry but every one of those threads was closed for a legitimate reason.

THR, as a forum, exists for a fairly narrow purpose: the advancement and advocacy of responsible firearms ownership.

Threads that are divisive, off-topic, or have more noise than signal can and will be closed by moderators at their discretion.I'm one of the mods on a site of a completely different nature and much lower volume. You guys do a fantastic job of keeping up with the volume of posts and steering things straight.

hoghunting
November 17, 2006, 12:37 AM
I'm also in the large group that think the Mods are doing a great job. There are many threads and posts on this forum and my hat is off to those that are able to keep up with it all. Thanks to all the Mods.

sefus
November 17, 2006, 02:40 AM
Definetly want to add that I feel the mods on here do a great job too, just was kind of frustrating today I guess.

-Sefus

pedaldude
November 17, 2006, 03:21 AM
I thought the chinese dog thread was valid to show the mentality of people when things they own are banned and the results of those actions, especialy silly bans,

otherwise some threads pop up and I know they will be locked just by reading the thread title.

I don't respond all that much and have been reading this site for years, only signed up after moving from NY to AZ, where I can own handguns and "assault weapons" without being treated like a criminal or pervert and being ripped off by the local dealers who charge whatever they want.

all in all with a name like the high road the moderators do a good job on just that, moderating.

sometimes I feel some thread starters act just like the "sensational media" they despise, with misleading or provocative titles and sometimes minor incidents similar to controversial ones to seemingly illustrate a point or disturbing pattern that needs to be paid attention to, just like when there is a large airplane crash and the media then reports every general aviation accident for the next week or so despite the fact that small planes crash almost every day and even then more people are killed in car crashes anyway, it just aint dramatic enough.

I feel for the most part things work here pretty darn well.

thanks!

CTD99
November 17, 2006, 09:02 AM
While I agree the mods have a tough job, there have been threads closed too quickly, however, it's their sandbox and they get to make the rules.

I am amazed at the attitutes around here also. Try to ask a question and you get brow beat down like a red headed step child.

Art Eatman
November 17, 2006, 11:30 AM
This is a firearms website. The legal and political stuff really should be limited to issues that affect firearms owners, not every legal or political issue of any old sort whatsoever.

L&P isn't the Daily Blat, either. Too many dead horses get brought up, over and over. It's particularly annoying when there is little "hard" info, and the posts are merely speculation. Too much of the speculation is asinine, which does not reflect well on the website itself.

All in all, we're really pretty lenient, given the nature of the website and the mission statement...

Art

.38 Special
November 17, 2006, 02:05 PM
I second (third, forth, whatever) the sentiment that this is a great place with effective moderation.

It does seem to me, though, that closing a thread with an insult ("This has gotten really asinine") isn't very high road. Especially when you were one of the posters on the closed thread and get to wondering if the mod was talking about something that you'd written...

Bobhwry
November 17, 2006, 07:39 PM
Justin,
Relax your trigger finger and give it a rest!!!

Car Knocker
November 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
I think the mods are doing a pretty good job on keeping the forum focused.

TimboKhan
November 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
I have sent PM's to different mods a handful of times to alert them to spam posts or duplicates, and they have always acted, literally, within about a minute. There are times when I wish they would let the sillier threads stay open as long as they remain light-hearted, but on the whole, we have the easiest mods in the world to deal with. Frankly, if it were up to me, I think I would just flat shut down the L&P forum, but thats just my own issue.

KarlSG
November 22, 2006, 08:02 AM
Well could someone direct them to some duplicate posts of mine on the 4 guage for deer thread on shotgun forum. :) I managed to keep double posting or something, every time I tried to edit a particular post. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I got sick of doing it as I tried to fix it.

Karl.

RealGun
November 23, 2006, 05:07 AM
Frankly, if it were up to me, I think I would just flat shut down the L&P forum, but thats just my own issue.

The only reason to "shut it down" would be if it were allowed to be too off topic, "asinine", or generally little to be proud of hosting? The mods are more than lenient. The burden is on subscribers to post things that are worth reading.

bakert
November 23, 2006, 08:24 AM
Although I haven't been a member of THR all that long, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a thread closed by the Moderator that I didn't think should be closed myself. Some people just seem to either want to beat a dead horse, spew a little venom or stray and wander far from the original topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods, Closed threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!