installing baseplates

PDA

DragonFire
November 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
I got a pack of Pachmayr baseplates to install on my 1911 magazines.

I thought I knew how to disassemble the mags to get the baseplate off, so I could drill them, but obviously I don't since I can't get them off.

So how are they disassembled?

Also, the baseplates came with self-taping screws, but the instructions say to tap the holes in stainless steel mags. I have McGar magazines. How do I know if they're stainless steel or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "installing baseplates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
November 16, 2006, 10:41 PM
Not all mags have removeable baseplates. A good many are welded on. If they're removeable, you'll usually find a single hole in the baseplate with a little dimple from an interior floorplate poking through it. Push in the dimple, and the baseplate slides off.

Most of Mec-Gar's mags are either blued or nickel. They do make a stainless 8-rounder. It is distinguished by the straight row of holes in the side of the body rather than the usual zig-zag.

I would guess that they say to use stainless magazines since the drilling removes some finish and leaves a bare metal surface along the threads. Somebody wiser than me may well know a trick or two for dealing with that.

If you enjoyed reading about "installing baseplates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!