XD-9 Subcompact finish wear

PDA

51Cards
November 16, 2006, 07:00 PM
Love this gun, but the finish on the slide (the corners) and the levers is wearing waaaay to fast.

Anyone else have this going on? Will Springfield re-finish em?

Also --- this may be a dumb question --- if the slide is stainless, can the finish be removed and the SS brushed out (like with ScotchBright)?

Since the last question is probably idiotic, what's the best homebrew for re-finish, if SA won't?

If you enjoyed reading about "XD-9 Subcompact finish wear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CPshooter
November 16, 2006, 10:37 PM
My friend actually got a used XD9 sub compact about a year ago off the wall of a local shop, and when he got the gun it already came with the worst finish wear ive ever seen. I have heard that some of the older XDs had a problem with the finish wearing, but I have owned two black XDs, a .40 service model and a .45 service as well and neither showed any signs of wear even after some heavy holster use. My guess is that you got one of the older ones w/ a finish problem. I would call Springfield and see if anything can be worked out for free, especially if you bought it new. If you really want to refinish it to a SS finish, Springfield could probably do that for you and make it look like one of the stainless finish XDs.

possum
November 17, 2006, 12:12 AM
i have a service model in .40 and though there is some wear on it, i wouldn't consider it abnormal.all guns are gonna wear, no matter what you coat them in. even glocks do and they have tennifer finishes! yes sa will refenish them, there was talk on THR not to long ago about that exact thing. i personally believe that the wear shows character but hey, that is my thoughts. but mine has good reason to have wear, with all the test, and over 3000rds through it which ain't much, not mention that I have carried it everyday for the last 2yrs!

noops
November 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
had the same gun. Rusted in about a month. Granted I'm in Oregon (wet), but that hasn't happened to my Ed Brown, Glocks, Sigs, H&K's. I heard they'd put a new finish on though???

Noops

51Cards
November 17, 2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks, guys. Guess I'll call SA. I agree with the "character" part, to a point --- but this thing is really buffed. Shame --- it's a great piece of equipment.

shadowalker
November 17, 2006, 12:53 AM
We have an XD 9mm sub compact with finish wear problems too, others have had Springfield refinish for free, we just have to set aside some time where we don't need it ;).

51Cards
November 17, 2006, 01:22 AM
BTW --- mine has not been carried that much, just getting back into it. It has been stored in a safe (never in a holster) with a brick of dessicant, and has always been kept fanatically clean and wiped down with a silicone cloth. I have guns that are older than I am, and nothing --- nothing --- has wear like this.

I have a pal in FL with the same gun in .40, and his is getting pretty worn, too. Granted, he carries more often (duh ... FL vs NY).

It peeves me that the thing can be so accurate and functionally flawless (2500+, no skips), but look so clapped out.

My 229 has been holstered and fired a LOT, and looks almost new.

I'm just afraid of what kind of condition the XD will be in in another year.:uhoh:

shadowalker
November 19, 2006, 12:03 PM
Ours hasn't been carried either, probably has about 1000 rounds through it. I'd call Springfield and see if they'll refinish it for free. Some people got goodies like free night sites too, never hurts to try.

I'll be sending ours off as soon as the second P229 comes in.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD-9 Subcompact finish wear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!