>45 auto hold open

PDA

nelson133
November 17, 2006, 08:17 AM
The last time I disassembled and cleaned my RI Govt .45, i apparently did something wrong, as it operates just fine but the slide doesn't stay back on an empty magazine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about ">45 auto hold open" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
halfacop
November 17, 2006, 08:22 AM
you broke it - better give it to me and buy something else.

Dr. Dickie
November 17, 2006, 08:29 AM
Assuming that you have triple checked all the complete brain stop problems (slide stop not fully seated, magazine not fully seated. Does it do it with mutilple magazines?
If so, I would check to see if the slide stop is broken--the liitle tang that the magazine engages. There really is not a lot that can go wrong. The top of the magazine follower pushes up on the bottom of the slide stop to engage the into the notch of the slide.
Pull the slide back, and make sure the magazine follower is pushing up on the piece of the slide stop.

JJ Hiryuu
November 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
I have the same problem with my RIA, with certain magazines.

I bought some "shooting star" magazines, which worked for awhile, then stopped. However, my colt and my original novak magazine still worked.

I replaced the slide stop with a new one, now they just don't work intermittantly.

Solution? I use the colt magazines and novak magazines. I'll use other for blasting at the range, because they do feed fine, just have that annoying habit of not locking the slide back.

nelson133
November 17, 2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the responses, I'll take it to the range tomorrow.

soul_rapier
November 18, 2006, 01:43 AM
did ya check the feed lips on the mag if they bend just a little it want let it lock back and sometimes it want feed them

bigsarg99
November 18, 2006, 09:55 AM
I purchased a RIA officers model last year and had those same issues right of the box. I did it with the Novack mag and with Wilson mags. I safed it for a while and decided to play with it later. i pulled it out one day to field strip it and the MSH pin broke (NO, its not my first 1911). Upon further inspection All the pins, to include the slide stop and safety where made of low quality material. I replaced the the MSH pin and took a good Wilson slide stop out of another 1911 in the collection to see if that was the problem and sure enough slide stayed back upon last round or just on an empty mag. I Suggest replacing all the small internals and all the springs to make it a more reliable shooter. I dont still have mine any more (sold it for a Colt LW Cdr.) but I think I might get another someday for a project gun, they seem to be a decent build up platform.

If you enjoyed reading about ">45 auto hold open" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!