pax - - source/exact wording of a quote?

PDA

Hal
May 21, 2003, 06:35 AM
Semi gun related. I was in a discussion abut the chnages in society and how it related to firearm ownership. The subject of music (rap - gansta rap in particular) came up. For the life of me, I couldn't remember a quote I heard a long time ago that went something like:

"As the music changes, so changes society"

or something along those lines.

Any ideas?
(anyone else also)

If you enjoyed reading about "pax - - source/exact wording of a quote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper
May 21, 2003, 06:46 AM
"True music must repeat the thought and inspirations of the people and the time."-George Gershwin

Is that it?

sm
May 21, 2003, 09:04 AM
QUOTATION: Yes; as the music changes,
Like a prismatic glass,
It takes the light and ranges
Through all the moods that pass;
ATTRIBUTION: Alfred Noyes (1880–1958), British poet. The Barrel-Organ (l. 17–20). . .

----
Though I didn't take Music Appreciation, Check under [ Minsky (sp?) Minskey 1974] IIRC music research dealing with societal and psych . ( oo, psych that's been a looong time ago)

pax
May 21, 2003, 11:04 AM
Hal,

I'm sorry -- I really have no idea.

Re1973 has obviously already searched Bartleby.com, so you might start looking at www.quoteland.com -- first search their site, then ask on their bulletin board. Someone there will probably have it.

HTH

pax

People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first. -- David H. Comins

Hal
May 21, 2003, 06:35 PM
Bingo!

Thanks for the help. I finally found the exact quote. From what little I remembered, the quote was quite old. Appears it was more than old. Here it is FWIW.

"So Damon tells me, and I can quite believe him; he says that when modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them..."

Plato - The Republic Part 4

http://www.piney.com/ClasPlatoRepub4.html#Then

Hard to imagine that so little has changed in the last 2000 plus years....

If you enjoyed reading about "pax - - source/exact wording of a quote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!