Adjustable M1 gas cylinder plug

PDA

Khornet
May 21, 2003, 07:41 AM
anybody try one of these? Apparently the idea is to regulate pressure/volume/timing of gas flow to find the right combination for a given load and rifle. Is it worth trying on an otherwise unmodified rifle, like my baby, a 1954 H&R?

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable M1 gas cylinder plug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dickwholliday
May 21, 2003, 05:46 PM
This has come up a time or two over on Battlerifles.com and i think they were pretty much of the opinion that they are something that you really don't need....the factory part works fine....DICK

hps1
May 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
Have never used one because I specifically load proper weight bullets and correct powders. (150,168 & 175 gr bullets and IMR or H 4895 powder). The garand can be damaged by slower burning powders not due to breech pressure, but due to high port pressure which operates the action too vigorously and can bend op-rod.

I think the intended purpose of the (adjustable) vented gas plug is to relieve the excess pressure if one chooses to use powders slower than 4895 and suspect that, if adjusted properly, would do that job.

Regards,
hps

Swampy
May 22, 2003, 08:06 AM
Guys,

The adjustable plugs are also supposed to slow down the initiation of op-rod movement until after the bullet has exited the muzzle, thereby enhancing accuracy potential.

I use the McCann plug on my IHC Match Grade in .308. It seems to work as advertised.

Swampy

Khornet
May 22, 2003, 09:20 AM
That's what I was looking for. Ordered a McCann unit. We'll see.

If you enjoyed reading about "Adjustable M1 gas cylinder plug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!