Could a TT-33 shoot 9mm Largo?

PDA

Mike_In_BC
November 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
I just got a norinco (I live in Canada) type 54-1, it is a copy of a tt-33 with a safety on it. I got the 7.62 x 25mm barrel, two mags for 7.62, a 9mm barrel, and two mags with a spacer for the 9mm. Looking on the net I found some info that the pistol would shoot the 9mm with a regular (no spacer mag) regardless of the difference in length. That got me thinking about what it would take to convert a 9mm barrel to take 9mm largo.

Could the frame handle such a load?

Could a 9mm barrel be altered to take the longer 9mm Largo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Could a TT-33 shoot 9mm Largo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
November 18, 2006, 03:54 AM
You would have to rechamber the barrel. What would you gain? The 9x19 is cheaper and equal to or better ballistically than the 9mm Largo.

Manedwolf
November 18, 2006, 07:15 AM
Personally, I'm even wondering why you'd want to be shooting 9mm in a Tok. I thought the whole point was that you could shoot 7.62x25, (I love my Radom), so instead of a generic yawn-worthy 9mm "pop", you get the Tok "BLAM!", fireball, and people down the range wandering over wide-eyed to see what it is? :D

As for the frame strength, the originals were solid hunks of Eastern Bloc steel, but I have no idea about the Chinese-Commie clones.

Ash
November 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
They should be able to shoot 9mm Largo no problem if you rechambered the barrel.

Ash

Mike_In_BC
November 18, 2006, 09:02 PM
I was just wondering. As for the 9mm barrel I think I shot a couple dozen, then went back to the 7.62 tok. I mainly got the 9mm kit in case the tokarev ammo drys up here.

Grayrider
November 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
It can be done and as I recall has been. If memory serves there was a fellow on the forums a while back (may have been TFL) that had done conversions of Tokarevs to various 9mm flavors. I seem to recall Largo, and also know that the Norincos could be had back in the day with dual .38 Super/7.62 barrels from the importer. Should be no problem given they are built for shooting hot ammo. I don't have any links to throw at you, but perhaps searching a bit on either forum might turn up the threads. It would have been a few years back as I recall.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Could a TT-33 shoot 9mm Largo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!