Compact .45 help

PDA

JPipes
November 17, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ok guys, I am 6'3", 235 lbs, and looking for a compact .45 for CCW. I am a newlywed, and on a budget (who isn't?), so any suggestions would be great. I was looking at a Llama Mini-max on Auction Arms:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7646204&aa=%20Llama%20%20Mini%20Max%20%20Sub%20Compact,%20.45%20ACP,%20Hard%20Chrome%20Finish

Any tips for something in or around that price range?

By the way, I 'm an insurance broker, and I wear slacks, a dress shirt and a tie everyday. So I wanted an IWB holster that is tuckable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Compact .45 help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lou22
November 17, 2006, 09:31 PM
Taurus PT145 and PT745 Millennium Pros are among the most concealable .45 autos. Do a search here on either (I own the PT145) and I bet you'll find a lot of mostly positive comments. I understand Llama is out of business, so repairs down the road may be a problem. Also Llama isn't known for it's reliability. I think Taurus has a better reputation.

If you go for either Taurus, make sure it is the Pro model. The earlier non-Pros had frame cracking problems.

Lou

modifiedbrowning
November 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
Check out the Bersa Thunder Ultracompact.
www.bersafirearmsusa.com
I have two of the 9mm UCs and both have been excellent. I paid $350 OTD when my dealer ordered from Davidsons.
Here's a Bersa Forum. www.bersatalk.com

JoeK
November 17, 2006, 09:38 PM
Llama....YIKES! I reluctantly shoot a buddies 9mm Llama regularily (read: 1000+ rounds through it) and have been coercing him to get something different. We both agree that it is a POS. Are all Llamas garbage? Beats me, but the thing does not exude quality in both appearance and shooting. Other's experience may differ....

I would look at a XD Compact or similar.

.357 magnum
November 17, 2006, 09:45 PM
The Taurus Millennnium Pro PT145 .45 ACP is the way to go. I am sure you can get one at a dealer for around 300-325 new. Lou22 is right. This is an excellent gun. Very reliable and you get a lifetime Warranty. The weight and ease of concealment are great. If this gun would ever need repairs, it is easy to get parts etc. [Taurus makes a great gun it should function great right out of the box] I have thounsands of rounds through my 24/7 Pro's and have never had a jam or problem of any kind. Get the PT145 you will really enjoy it and it is a gun you can depend on.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=39&category=Pistol

The best to you and yours!

wally
November 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think you can get a better sub-compact .45 than the Taurus PT-145 Millenium-PRO until you are ready to spend at least 2X more money.

--wally.

GunNut
November 17, 2006, 11:36 PM
Keep your eye out for a used Glock 30, I've bought them for $300 in the past. Realistically, you'll be looking at around $400 for a really good deal on a 30.

Steve

jlh26oo
November 18, 2006, 12:25 AM
PT145 is a good suggestion, that's not too much more than the LLAMA(!?), but is good quality.

Not too much more you could go G36. Slightly more barrel (3 3/4" vs 3"), but smaller in other dimensions, sacrificing 3 rounds to the pt145.

B/t those two, depends on if you want a da/sa with manual safety and internal lock (taurus), or consistent "safe-action" of the glock with no manual safeties or internal lokc. G30, G36, pt145 all good moves. I personally can't recommend a Kahr (after pm9), but if you don't want to shoot it alot, you don't get any smaller/lighter than the P45; 6+1 .45acp ~1" thin. consistent trigger, no safeties.

If you enjoyed reading about "Compact .45 help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!