1911 9mm aftermarket mags

PDA

Lobotomy Boy
November 18, 2006, 01:56 PM
I've held off on buying a 9mm 1911 because very few aftermarket makers seem to offer 9mm magazines for 1911s. My worry was that if a magazine should become problematic, or just suck from the get go, I'd end up spending too much money trying to get different mags, or worse yet, I'd be stuck buying the same crappy mags that didn't work in the first place. But now that more 1911 makers are jumping on the 9mm bandwagon, I wondered if the availability of aftermarket magazines was keeping pace? Anyone had any experience with this?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 9mm aftermarket mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Logan5
November 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
Wilson and CMC are supposedly coming out with them, but they're not out yet. At the moment, that leaves Colt, Metalform, Kimber, or CMC .38 Super mags.

rbernie
November 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
I used stainless steel Kimbers and was happy with 'em. MidwayUSA sells 'em for about $25/ea.

1911austin
November 18, 2006, 02:42 PM
Tripp (http://www.trippresearch.com/products/products.htm) makes excellent magazines. I have some in .45 and 10mm and have never had problems. They also make 9mm mags.

10-Ring
November 18, 2006, 02:56 PM
I've seen Mecgar 9mm, 1911 mags at a reasonable price...good alternative since Mecgar makes some quality stuff for several quality manufacturers.

gc70
November 18, 2006, 03:13 PM
Metalform was/is Colt's OEM supplier and makes great 9mm 1911 magazines. Bullseye Sports (http://www.bullseyesport.com/sunshop/index.php/action/item/id/141/prevaction/category/previd/2/prevstart/0/) has 9-round, blued Metalform 9mm magazines for $13 and stainless magazines for $19.

SIRVEYR666
November 18, 2006, 03:45 PM
Not a hijack, just a variation of the question.

I need to find additional mags for a Para Hi-Cap 9 (18 rounds). The Para website has them for $49.00! :what:

Any suggestions? Thanks.:D

Lobotomy Boy
November 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the good info. This saved me hours of research.

Good luck finding double-stack 9mm mags. If you find a source, please let us know.

benedict1
November 18, 2006, 11:10 PM
We had trouble with Kimber mag in a new Custom II Stainless Target 9mm. We bought a new Kimber mag and it worked; then tried a Springfield 9mm mag and it is the better of the two! The factory mag never did work right and was sent back to Kimber.

We also wish Wilson would get on with it--we use only Wilson in our Kimber Custom II Stainless Target 45 ACP. They never miss a beat.

BullfrogKen
November 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
benedict1 said: We also wish Wilson would get on with it--

Logan5 said: Wilson and CMC are supposedly coming out with them, but they're not out yet. At the moment, that leaves Colt, Metalform, Kimber, or CMC .38 Super mags.

Check out Brownell's fella's. Wilson's made 1911 mags in 38 Super for a quite a while. But, they only distribute them through Brownell's.

Any 38 Super mag will work in a 1911 9mm. I do it, Jim Garthwaite does it, lots of us who shoot 9x23's convertible to 9mm do it.

I like Metalforms. Jim builds mags from Metalform bodies, and puts Wilson 38 Super guts in 'em. I've used Springfield "front ramp config" 9mm mags, and Metalform's with the spacer in the rear. They all will work.

Of the ones I've used, I like the Metalforms the best. I've used all the ramps they have - metal flat, metal round, orange "high cap", and Jim's "Wilson internal" mags. I like the ones Jim built the most.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 9mm aftermarket mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!