Extremely rare S&W Model 10-9

PDA

Shear_stress
November 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
Yup, that's right. A limited edition: one of only five to seven million. Only made since 1899.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/450684.jpg

(Obviously, I'm just borrowing a camera and trying to get some use out of it before I have to return it.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Extremely rare S&W Model 10-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
November 18, 2006, 07:09 PM
I recognize its uniqueness, but go outside on a gray day, or find someplace where there is shade on a bright one, and take another picture... :neener:

Shear_stress
November 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
Go outside? But the UV rays will damage the priceless color case-hardening!

Old Fuff
November 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
In the shade boy... You take the picture in the SHADE if the sun is out... :)

Trust me... :cool:

Shear_stress
November 18, 2006, 08:03 PM
Sheesh, I suppose, but don't you think I'd be taking a risk by exposing such a rare gun to all that moist outside air??!

Old Fuff
November 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
Of course you would. I thought you knew enough to not go outside unless it was wrapped in VIP and sealed in a plastic bag. Do I have to explain everything...! :neener: :D

hexidismal
November 19, 2006, 12:17 AM
Shear, I'm rather shocked that you cocked back the hammer to take this picture. How could you ? Surely you know that kind of wear and tear devalues such a unique and invaluable collector's piece.

Eightball
November 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
Shear, I'm rather shocked that you cocked back the hammer to take this picture. How could you ? Surely you know that kind of wear and tear devalues such a unique and invaluable collector's piece.Maybe it came that way, and he hasn't wanted to devalue it more by decocking it? :p

earthworm
November 19, 2006, 04:00 AM
What's the difference between a Model 9 & a Model 10 & why is it so valuable besides scarcity?

Old Fuff
November 19, 2006, 09:35 AM
Earthworm:

That's a model 10-9, not a model 9...

We are having a little fun at Shear_stress' expense. He is trying to learn how to take pictures with a borrowed camera, and the subject is just about the most common revolver there is. While it is an excellent handgun it is not particularly valuable or rare.

Sometimes a few members on this forum get carried away. :D :D

Preacherman
November 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
To be serious for a moment, if you want to set yourself up to take really good pictures of handguns (or any other small item), consider the SAKAR Portable Lighting Studio (http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAKPS101). It gives you two small lights, two different backdrops, and sets you up to take really good pictures at home in even the most confined spaces. Highly recommended.

Shear_stress
November 19, 2006, 10:45 AM
Shear, I'm rather shocked that you cocked back the hammer to take this picture. How could you ? Surely you know that kind of wear and tear devalues such a unique and invaluable collector's piece.

That's an easy one. I packed the piece in a velvet-lined case and sent it to Doug Turnbull. While a notary public looked on, Doug carefully removed the cylinder, cocked the hammer by first pushing the cylinder release, and replaced the cylinder. The work cost me a mere $1200 and took six months. However, you'll understand the lengths to which one is forced to go to avoid turn lines on a rare gun like this.

420Stainless
November 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
Is that a pre-lock? You ought to have a smith add on an aftermarket to bring it up to current standards.;)

I'm glad to read the photog. tips. I have a decent camera, but am a bad photographer.

Old Fuff
November 19, 2006, 12:47 PM
I'm going to look into Preacherman's set-up. It looks like an excellent solution that's relatively inexpensive and would work with any camera.

Marko Kloos
November 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
There's something very comforting about carrying a gun that has had its bugs worked out when Roosevelt was in the White House...Theodore Roosevelt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extremely rare S&W Model 10-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!