Gun show today...no new gun but lookie what I got!

PDA

Frandy
November 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
Well, I knew I'd be getting 500 rounds each of Georgia Arms 230 grain FMJ .45 and Aguila 40 grain jacketed .22s.

But what else? The plan was to look for either a .22 conversion or a short-barreled Buckmark or Ruger MK. I found them and the prices were right, but it didn't happen. And am I glad!

Instead, I picked up another Dave Vail knife (see post: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2867505#post2867505) and a new holster and set of grips for my Smith 1911. I'm walking on air...

The grips are by Altamont. Black walnut. Exactly what I wanted. They look and feel great.

As for the elephant hide holster (!), it's by the man...the Beltman...Jim Speidel, whose belts I wear all the time. well, let me tell you...these elephant hide holsters are awesome! He still had a few when I left the show today...they are beautiful. ($200 for a holster and matching, single mag carrier)

http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm

My 1911 is now exactly the way I want it. A good day at the Raleigh gun show.

http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Handguns/Smith_1911_with_Speidel_elephant_and_Altamont_walnutgrips_800.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show today...no new gun but lookie what I got!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
November 18, 2006, 09:11 PM
That's one handsome firearm. I really like the grips and the holster. $200 for a holster and single mag carrier? That guy saw you coming it seems. The important thing is that you're happy but holy cow I've got some swamp land in Florida I'd like you to take a look at. :neener:

Frandy
November 18, 2006, 09:26 PM
You'll notice that I don't have the mag carrier. Another guy bought a holster and 2 carriers, giving me the opportunity to get just the holster. As for Jim's price of $200, given Jim's quality and the elephant hide, well...look around at the prices for shark or elephant hide holsters...

No one saw me comin'. Both the other guy and I made out just fine. Keep that swamp o' yours! :neener: :D

salvador31c
November 18, 2006, 10:40 PM
Mighty Fine Looking Combo You Got There.:) I'll Give you 20 Bucks For The Holster:neener: :neener: Na Just Playing

Eightball
November 19, 2006, 01:27 AM
My 1911 is now exactly the way I want it.Better to have one gun "absolutely perfect" than 2 or 3 that could use some tweakin'. Good find, good pictures :D

orionengnr
November 19, 2006, 01:32 AM
Elephant and shark skin are not cheap.

Anything other than cowhide and the price goes up...straight up.

Supply and demand.

daysleeprx
November 19, 2006, 01:37 AM
I really like those grips.

UglyGlock
November 19, 2006, 01:38 AM
those are some damn pretty grips on that 1911.

CountGlockula
November 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
OT: What camera did you use?

Sweet holster by the way.

270Win
November 19, 2006, 02:24 AM
Those grips are simply stunning.

ulflyer
November 19, 2006, 06:54 AM
But just think of that elephant running around out there with a chunk of hide missing off his butt! Shame on you feller; shame, shame, shame. :evil: :evil:

Just kiddin, Frandy is a friend; he stood in a line about 3 blocks long and bought tickets for me and another friend while we were still enroute. :D :D

Cromlech
November 19, 2006, 07:14 AM
Those are indeed gorgeous grips, I like this 'Black Walnut'. :)

Frandy
November 19, 2006, 07:45 AM
OT: What camera did you use?
I use a Canon G5 and light the scene with 2 Photogenic Powerlight studio flashes with the gun/holster inside a small light tent. Lots o' fun. :D

Hey, Ulfler... Congats on selling the Glock. Did ya' get the one you were talkin' about? Hope you didn't bring that money home and just get cat food or somethin'. :evil:

Dr. Dickie
November 19, 2006, 07:56 AM
Nice looking set of stocks, and great looking holster.
Ya do good.

ulflyer
November 19, 2006, 07:59 AM
Was about to go for it but the salesmen were tied up doing paperwork for others and we were ready to leave so I put it off. After reading comments on this forum about various niggling problems with Kahr's polymers, one of which is difficulty of some rounds to go into battery, and fact that I shoot reloads, makes me think its not a gun for me. Dang, still like the size of it though! :banghead:

bigsarg99
November 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
Geeze Frandy thats a good looking woman (The gun) you got there! I was at the Show too on Sat and I just couldn't find anything there much cheaper than I could get online or from fellow THR members at good deals. But i Must say I did look at the stuff he had at that table and it was very very good quality and durable. You should have put Pearl Grips on there with your INTs on them and you would have had a BBQ gun:). Nice Rig though!

DC3-CVN-72
November 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
What dose the skin feel like. is it tuff. I have some Kramer holsters for my 1911's and I would like to get a shark skin one from them. The holsters I have from Kramer are horse-hide and I realy like them because they are verry stiff, and don't collapse so reholstering is alot easer. I have never handeled either. Is shark skin tuffer or not.

BrainOnSigs
November 19, 2006, 09:31 PM
Holster material info:

Cowhide; Long the standard for gun leather. Sew it with nylon thread to build a holster that will last for years.

Horsehide: Horsehide is more difficult to get and work with than Cowhide. But has some extraordinary properties cowhide doesn't have. One of the more notable properties of horsehide is its natural ability to repel moisture. This is due to the dense cell structure of the hide.

Sharkskin; TOUGH is the best word to describe sharkskin. This is the best value in exotic skin. This holster is usually lined with smooth leather. It will remain attractive for years, as it is very resistant to scuffs.

Elephant; Another very tough and attractive hide. Elephant may be tougher than sharkskin. It has only been recently the elephant was available for commercial use. Lined with smooth leather.

Ostrich; This hide makes very attractive gun leather. It is not as tough as sharkskin or elephant. However it makes a very nice dress rig. It is lined with smooth leather.

Alligator; This material ranks between ostrich and shark/elephant for toughness. With all of the character on an alligator hide, it makes beautiful gun leather. It is lined with smooth leather.

Rafter S Gunleather makes a very nice elephant holster with sharkskin trim for $135. Rafter S Gunleather (http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Holsters.htm)

DC3-CVN-72
November 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
WOW! that about says it all. thanks for the info.

Frandy
February 28, 2007, 08:55 PM
Jim Speidel keeps telling me that he isn't in the business of making sheaths. I understand that because of his belt and budding holster business. He says there just aren't enough hours in the day to add sheaths as a regular line. He will do one for someone local who brings him the knife, however.

Anyway, when I bought yet another Vail knife at the most recent Raleigh show, I spoke to Jim about a sheath for it that matches the elephant holster I bought from him in November. As usual, he was busy with belt-making, but he did make time for me. Whew...I'm so pleased with both items. They'll last a lifetime!

http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Handguns/Speidel_elephant_1911_holster_Vail_sheath_1_640.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/franman/.Pictures/Knives/Vail_Slant_Guard_Micarta_Back_Canvas_w_1911_2_640.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show today...no new gun but lookie what I got!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!