Cutting down revolvers

PDA

Bqnestle
November 19, 2006, 01:52 AM
I remember (sorta) a magazine article from years ago about a custom gunsmith chopping down S&W revolvers but can't remember the name. It showed a picture of an N frame that was tiny. The frame was near J frame size (or so the article said) and the barrel was about as short as you can go on one. The name Hardcastle sounds familiar. This ring any bells out there? I just want to see the pics again.

Thanks
Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "Cutting down revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Richard Simmons
November 19, 2006, 08:42 AM
You can't make a frame smaller. You can cut the barrel down and maybe the grip. S&W as well as others already make just about every size and shape in calibers large and small so this practice isn't as popular as it used to be. There is a company called Bowen I think that converts firearms to different calibers and probably some other modifications.

rbmcmjr
November 19, 2006, 01:11 PM
There is/was a smith named Curt Hardcastle who performed this type of alteration. I think you have your alphabet confused, though. The examples I have seen (in print) discuss an N-frame cut down to K-frame round butt dimensions.

Leroy Thompson has mentioned a Model 25 that he had chopped by Hardcastle for use as a counter-hijacker gun. He was a major inspiration for me to build my big bore snubbies.

FWIW, Magna-Port and Gemini Custom will do this for you too.

Bqnestle
November 19, 2006, 11:35 PM
Those are the ones I'm thinking about, the one Leroy Thompson talked about.

Thanks for the responses.
Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "Cutting down revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!