Lazy cycling of action?

PDA

pedaldude
November 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
I just started shooting pistols a year ago and in just about most if not all makes, primarily full size 45s, I notice every once in a while the action will cycle for a longer time than usual, it seems like it takes forever for the slide to come back and then reverse and strip the next cartridge and return to battery and it almost seems like the slide goes back farther than normal too but I know it hasn't, the point of impact doesn't change at all neither does the report and recoil seems normal as well. I don't change my grip, the gun functions normaly ejecting in the same place unless it's one that ejects all over regardless.

When this happens it is very distracting and I look around to see if anyone else noticed, but I don't think the difference is that much at all and it's just relative. Am I crazy or is this a common thing, is there a name for it and what is the cause?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lazy cycling of action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sylvan-Forge
November 20, 2006, 08:59 AM
pedaldude,

You say your grip is steady, no thumbs a'scrapin'..
Sounds to me like ya got good perceptive abilities.
You just happen to notice very small changes of state.

Factory ammo?

Some rambling thoughts ...
Tau and Kappa Effects .. Pschophysics
Note - Auditory exclusion
Hmm.. heavy .45 cal bullets in full frames .. relatively slow cycle times ..
coefficient of friction, thermal expansion

Owen
November 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
That is called Chugging.

It's usually a magazine/feedramp/tight extractor/weak recoil spring/ very light ammo related.

What you are feeling is the the slide almost coming to a stop trying to get the next round into the chamber.

So, if your ammo is consistant, the first thing to do is replace your recoil spring (they are inexpensive).

The next thing is to mark your magazines, and see if the issue always occurs with the same magazine. If it is always the same magazine, toss it or learn how to tune it.

Next up is polishing the feed ramp, or polishing the extractor to make it easier for the cartridge that is being loaded to go around the corner into the chamber. Be gentle, it won't take much to make a big difference.

Desertscout
November 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
Many times, it can be nothing more than a lack of proper lubrication.

Majic
November 20, 2006, 01:46 PM
Unless you have exceptional eyesight I would say it's your imagination. Slide movement is generally just a blur if seen at all. Most never see it as they are looking at the sights. How can you watch the slide and still get the same POI? I too would recommend a new recoil spring or check the top of the mag for drag marks, but you say this happens to "most if not all makes". If you can see the slide reciprocate can you also see the case roll out the ejection port?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lazy cycling of action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!