Wheeler Engineering or Brownell's screwdriver set

PDA

Sparky
November 20, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'm about to upgrade my tools for gun tinkering.
I've noticed the Wheeler Engineering screwdriver sets advertised recently and was wondering how they stack up against the Brownell's Magna driver.
If anybody has experience with the Wheeler set I'd appreciate an opinion.
I should note I've used a basic Brownell's set for a good while without any issues.
Couldn't say the same about a Chinese made Pachmayr set though. BAD BAD BAD!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Wheeler Engineering or Brownell's screwdriver set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kart racer
November 20, 2006, 05:40 PM
I've got the wheeler set and really like it.I can't compare it to Brownell's,cause I've never used theirs.

Ohen Cepel
November 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'm looking into the same deal.

Asked the smith at Gander MTN the other day about the Wheeler set. He spoke well of it. I asked how it compared to the Brownells stuff he had on the bench and he said it was a real close call.

I'm leaning towards the Wheeler set now just since it comes in a package. However, would like other input.

Bump for you (us :D )

michael_aos
November 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
I've got the 080-101-804 (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=501&s=1870) set. Cost $47.23.

Doesn't really seem like anything special...

Mike

RonJon
November 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
I have the 89 piece Wheeler set.

I don't have the Brownell's set, but after comparison shopping I chose the Wheeler and never looked back. It has been everything I expected it to be and more.

I especially like the 15 specialty bits and use some of them regularly (especially the rebound spring tool bit for S&Ws).

Ron:)

dfariswheel
November 20, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure about Wheeler, but if you break a Brownell's screwdriver bit, they replace it FREE.
You don't even have to send the old one in. Just email them, and they'll send you a new bit.

Another advantage of Brownell's bits is, they are HARD. So hard that if you over stress things, the BIT snaps instead of an expensive and hard to replace gun screw.

MountainBear
November 20, 2006, 11:07 PM
I use the Brownell's kit everyday. I'm happy, plus its upgradable. You can get specialty kits for different firearms. I just like the adaptability.

Mr. Tettnanger
November 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
I got the small Wheeler kit. I think it will serve most of my needs. It seems well built and well worth the $15 from Cabelas. I may invest in the larger kit...just in case ;)

Mr. Tettnanger

If you enjoyed reading about "Wheeler Engineering or Brownell's screwdriver set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!