What do you do when the gun you want doesn't exist?

PDA

Sry0fcr
November 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
I really, really, really want a 1911. Not just any 1911, but a 1911 that I'd be happy to have as my one and only pistol. Something that I can hand down to my son and him to his. I realize that will probably be a long and expensive undertaking but it'll be a lot easier to spend $100 bucks here and there then to spend $3000 all at once. I just don't know where to begin. Do I just start calling vendors and see if they'll make me stuff? I'd like something like STI's Duty frame except in OM length to start things off but it's not a commercial item. Matter of fact I haven't seen any OM frames with an integrated rail...

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do when the gun you want doesn't exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sry0fcr
November 20, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2nd thought maybe this should go into gunsmithing? Moderators it's up to you, if you want to move it.

OH25shooter
November 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
I really wanted a Performance Center 952. It cost $1500.00. I traded in some guns and added the cash difference. After a long wait it arrived. Very nice, but it didn't live up to my expectations. Prior to my purchase I tossed around that question. Do I simply order from a custom brand name manufacturer, or do I research and ask other members where is the best place to order a "personalized" custom handgun. I think my answer now is to save more money and have a custom gun maker make the handgun to your specifications.

Brian Williams
November 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
Save your pennies and everythng else, start by eating Ramen noodles, Caspian Arms has a frame called the Recon

After 9/11 there was a strong demand for a 1911 pistol that relates well to today's tactics and equipment. Designed to be strong and compact while being able to accept today's popular flashlights and lasers makes out integral rail frame the choice of manufacturers, custom builders and agencies alike.
Specify Caliber: 45acp, 38s/9mm
Recon Carbon
Available in Government, Commander, and Officer Models
Retail: $260.00

Recon Stainless
Retail: $270.00

Recon Titanium
Retail: $400.00

That will be a start, then it will be which slide?
Carbon, SS,

Then which sights, and down to the firing pin....

Good luck and have fun...

Don't ya luv 1911s:evil: :evil: :evil:

ugaarguy
November 20, 2006, 04:24 PM
Sry, are you wanting an Officer or Commander size 1911? I know in the other thread you said you're wanting a 9mm. Taurus' new 1911s are getting a good bit of buzz here. They're supposed to be importing a Commander size gun with or without rail, blued or stainless, in both 40 S&W and 9mm. The 45s had a huge delay getting into the country while things were worked out in the gov't red tape - you know how that is. The other option would be to get an OM 1911 of your choice and have a rail mounted to the dustcover.

Outside of those options I think you're looking at an STI or Caspian Gov't or CM frame with integral rail and having it cut to OM size. You may want to send a PM to 1911 Tuner. Talk to him about what you want and he'll know more about getting it done and who can do it. I wish I could be of more help.

Edit:Or just listen to Mr. Williams. He has knowledge - I just try to help on cool gun projects with my limited ideas.

Sry0fcr
November 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
Brian, I totally missed that, I remembered that Caspian used to have one listed but they changed the website and I overlooked it. D'oh.

uaarguy, I'm actually wanting a CCO style setup. OM frame with a Commander slide in 9mm (possibly .40 cal), no grip safety and a few other knick-knacks.

ugaarguy
November 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
Sry, on the no grip safety part, there is a solution. It's called "The Solution" if I remember right, and is offered by Novak. The CCO size should be easier for the rail with the longer dustcover. It sounds like you really know what you want, and it's very interesting to boot. Please keep us updated on the project.

Sry0fcr
November 20, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the tip! My biggest problem with buying a new gun is that I know what I want but I was trying to find something that came as close as possible. I figured I might as well not settle and get what I want the first time around.

BullfrogKen
November 20, 2006, 07:39 PM
Having built guns that I wanted and didn't exist, bite the bullet and have a smith make it. You're going to spend more time, money, and grief trying to make something not quite what you want work. Parts won't mate right, gunsmithing things that coulda been made that way originally.

Jim Garthwaite really pioneered the Officer's Frame and Commander slide package. I was present during a gun build in his shop for a guy that wanted a rail on a Commander frame. They used an aftermarket rail that bolted on with allen screws. I don't think it did much to enhance the gun, but he got what he wanted.

10-Ring
November 20, 2006, 10:11 PM
Being in CA, we have a limit in what we can have...the state first has to determine which handguns are "safe" for its society to own :rolleyes: :scrutiny: Anyway, as a result, customizing after purchase is the route I chose...I started w/ a Colt and built it up to the gun I wanted and couldn't be happier w/ it. Plus, I was able to build it up as I could afford the next mod :D
Enjoy your quest :D

Sry0fcr
November 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
Having built guns that I wanted and didn't exist, bite the bullet and have a smith make it. You're going to spend more time, money, and grief trying to make something not quite what you want work. Parts won't mate right, gunsmithing things that coulda been made that way originally.

I'm planning on having a gunsmith assemble and fit the whole thing, I'll just be buying parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do when the gun you want doesn't exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!