Walnut media question

PDA

Byron Quick
November 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
I searched here for media. Found the threads about walnut media from pet stores and such. People were posting prices such as 8 bucks for 25 pounds from pet stores. Local Pet Smart had it for $18.95. Searching the internet found about the same prices.

Anyone know of any national outlets that have it for less?

Or has the price recently skyrocketed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walnut media question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
November 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
Don't go to Pet Smart or Pet Co. Too commercial. Try your local bird supply stores. There's one in my city that serves out walnut at 25 for $8.08.

Luggernut
November 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
Good ol Walmart has it nice and cheap too.

Ben Shepherd
November 20, 2006, 07:55 PM
Find a little mom 'n pop pet store locally. Should be much better prices. The only reason I use the local petsmart is for the on-site vet. She's very good. All thier food, supplies, toys etc. are really expensive.

They figure you're there, and you won't save enough to make it worth the drive anywhere else.

lamazza
November 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
I was just about to start a thread related to this...
I just bought walnut media-treated i guess-that has left alot of brown dust on my cases, inside and out. Should I wash my brass now? If so, in what?

RustyFN
November 20, 2006, 09:38 PM
Add two cap fulls of Nu-finish car polish and add a dryer sheet ( bounce ) cut into about 10 or 12 pieces and your brass will come out shiny and clean. The dryer sheet will collect the junk and also keep your walnut media clean.
Rusty

Ben Shepherd
November 21, 2006, 10:48 AM
Make sure that dryer sheet is used. You don't want all the fabric softener floating around in your tumbler.

MeanStreaker
November 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, this is an option (but not any cheaper than what you're finding):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92155

$9.99 for 25 lbs.

I just got some last night. They still had the old price at the store, so be sure to print this out so they can match it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walnut media question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!