Value of Redhawk in .45 colt?

PDA

usp_fan
November 20, 2006, 05:49 PM
I've always wanted a Redhawk to go with my .45 Bisley. I just found a used Stainless 5.5" barreled Redhawk in .45 colt at a local store. It's priced at $459.00. It appears to be in very good shape, and has a better DA pull than most redhawks I've tried. Ideally, whatever redhawk I get will become the foundation for a Mountain Pistol type conversion to a 4" barrel and round butt frame.

Is this a good price or should I keep looking?

--usp_fan

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of Redhawk in .45 colt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ben Shepherd
November 20, 2006, 05:52 PM
A couple things:

1. They are discontinued. You knew that, right? Makes chopping on one a personal choice for sure.
2. I just paid 500.00 out the door for a 7.5" NIB. So 459.00 isn't a deal, but you're not getting ripped either.

GunNut
November 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
Not too bad on the price, you might see if you can get them to go a little lower.

I wouldn't worry to much about ruining the collectors value, do to it as you please and enjoy it.

It will be a lot cheaper than sending a Redhawk off to Bowen for the same exact conversion.

Steve

Ben Shepherd
November 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, If you do go forward with this(fine by me, considering the same treatment for a 41 redhawk myself) Mr. Bowen is a the top of a short list as far as quality goes for this kind of work.

I only posted about it being discontinued so you would be aware of that fact. Not to discourage you from a wonderfull custom piece.

usp_fan
November 20, 2006, 07:05 PM
I understand your concern that I be informed about the production status of the .45 Redhawk. I don't like it when people do potenially stupid things with neat guns. I was aware it was discontinued, and I am in awe of Mr. Bowen's work. His conversion is the inspiration for my plans. I had a Smith Mountain gun, but it wasn't built to take my ruger loads. I saw some of Hamilton's conversions in Taffin's Big Bore Handguns book and fell in love. N frame size, and Ruger strength.

I'm aware that Ruger intends to release a .44 mag Redhawk with 4" barrel this next year, I keep wondering if they'll do a special run in .45--sort of like the 5.5 stainless bisleys?

Either way, this is my idea of the perfect mountain gun--Stainless, 4", lanyard, Gold Bead Front, Moon Clip converted, Round butted, Black Powder Chamfered cylinder, anything I'm missing?

My intent is to create a family hand me down that will get lots of use and memories before becoming a hand me down for my son.

Do you know of any sources that currently have one of these? I'd love to have a choice.

--usp_fan

Ben Shepherd
November 20, 2006, 07:13 PM
Nothing missing that I can see. Maybe a little engraving, or scrimshaw on the grips? Not guady, just a little touch of class, ya know?

I had a redhawk turned down to 4 inches last year by a local guy. Good work. He had to do a double angle mill cut on the barrel rib. But it looks factory. Doing all that work to move the tapered rib back 3 1/2 inches while keeping the factory front sight with interchangable blades was a good idea. Also the whole barrel is tapered, so now the end of that barrel looks positively huge!

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of Redhawk in .45 colt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!