How To Use Mosin Stripper Clips--Mystery Revealed

PDA

Cosmoline
November 20, 2006, 10:06 PM
I believe I've solved the longstanding mystery of how to make these suckers work. I picked up these Finnish surplus clips at John Mason. Tapco also has some. They're not the best, but they're not the worst either. So long as the clip holds the cartridges tight enough to keep the rims secure in "wing" position but not so tight to keep them from moving when pushed out, any clip will work with this method. As you pick up the clip you can shape it into the wing position as well. The interruptor should help sort out any locked rims that get through.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/Stripper.jpg?t=1164074523

If you enjoyed reading about "How To Use Mosin Stripper Clips--Mystery Revealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dispatch55126
November 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
Tried it and got it to work only once.

dm1333
November 20, 2006, 10:17 PM
I just invited my downstairs neighbor(and co worker) to go shooting with me tomorrow. We were talking about guns at work, he has an M44 and stripper clips but no ammo. I have an M38, enough ammo to start and finish a war, but no stripper clips.

Cosmoline
November 20, 2006, 10:17 PM
Tried it and got it to work only once.

Well do whatever you did when it worked. Keep in mind that some strippers are so substandard they won't function with any method. They're just crude bits of sheet metal roughly folded into position. The copper ones are OK, as are these Tikka. The actual Russian military ones are probably the best.

Remember to follow through with your thumb all the way down, and place the cartridge down into place. Only then allow the top cartridge's nose to drop. This should ensure it doesn't rimlock.

dispatch55126
November 20, 2006, 10:20 PM
I can see how it would work though. It seems to me part of the problem is the rim wedges in the clip track and the harder you push the harder it would wedge in the clip. If the rims were lines up flat and gently pushed down, it might work. I'll try and get back.

Cosmoline
November 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
The trick there is to not push too hard on the clip itself. Otherwise you can wedge it in and the steel of the clip compresses and blocks the cartridge rims. Just seat it, and then shift the thumb over to the top cartridge, while pulling the tip up. It leverages down nicely and the first four should slide right down under the interruptor.

Jim K
November 20, 2006, 10:52 PM
I must be missing something. I have shot an M-N a fair amount using stripper clips and have never had any problems. That is the nice thing about that rifle, it doesn't matter how the rims stack up, the second through fifth cartridges are released to the bolt only when the bolt is turned down to lock on the previous round.

Cosmoline is right on the clip. You never push on the clip, only on the cartridges. On any clip loading rifle, if you have to hold the clip in place while loading, you are using the wrong clip. But the M-N is one of the few (maybe the only) clip loaded rifles where the clip doesn't pop out when the bolt is rammed forward to chamber the first round.

Jim

dispatch55126
November 20, 2006, 11:01 PM
I guess I'll have to go to the range and practice...too bad:rolleyes:

Hoppy590
November 20, 2006, 11:16 PM
anybody know were to get good strippers. i got a rifle. and i got the ammo. but i lack the clips :( i did tape 5 rounds together and load them like that once. :evil: just for practice

grimjaw
November 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
I have the crappy clips, from a guy on the forums called 97guns (beware), and the trick Cosmoline recommended does not work.

jm

dispatch55126
November 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
I picked up a 20 pack from e-bay. Their steel and came oil soaked and wrapped in thin plastic. Seemed MilSurp to me.

grimjaw
November 20, 2006, 11:32 PM
dispatch55126, you've got the same thing I've got. Most likely if they came in a box it said "compression tool" or the like on it. They're trash, but alot of people have been getting ripped off by unscrupulous vendors advertising them as having been pulled right off the Hungarian ammo in the tin. :scrutiny:

jm

Cosmoline
November 20, 2006, 11:58 PM
Here are some of the Finnish ones:

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=MN03&Category_Code=MP

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=7d2ed655-3c2d-48fc-9ee5-799ae8a719ef

sefus
November 21, 2006, 03:02 AM
The brass ones are pretty good, generally. I put just a LIGHT coat of motor oil on the clips themselves and they like to slide in with out me having to cuss them in... most the time.

kfranz
November 21, 2006, 06:50 AM
Here are some of the Finnish ones:

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=MP

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...5-799ae8a719ef

Those listed at TAPCO are NOT Finn stripper clips.

Third_Rail
November 21, 2006, 07:32 AM
What about the clips from Tickbite Supply? I've heard mixed things about them.

Langenator
November 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
Cosmo, are those some of your Woodleigh handloads in the pics?

Cosmoline
November 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
Those listed at TAPCO are NOT Finn stripper clips.

The most recent batch I got from them were indeed Tikka clips. Earlier Tapco clips were not. The ones pictured on their current webpage are Tikka:

http://www.tapco.com/show_image.aspx?id=bf1312ff-2038-41e6-8752-27f396198b82

You can see the triangle T on the back. I confirmed this with Ted "54R" himself. Though I have no idea how many they have in stock or when they're going to sell out of them. They appear to be divesting themselves of Mosin parts.

Cosmo, are those some of your Woodleigh handloads in the pics?

No, those are 180 SP's sold under the Winchester brand. I believe they're made by S&B for Winchester with boxer primed brass. They're a good all-around load.

kfranz
November 21, 2006, 04:30 PM
The most recent batch I got from them were indeed Tikka clips. Earlier Tapco clips were not. The ones pictured on their current webpage are Tikka:

Mmmm, crow tastes yummy.... :o

Cosmoline
November 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
Well there's no doubt earlier Tapco clips were horrible. Nobody seems to know how the Tikka clips suddenly started showing up, but I would grab them fast before they're gone. Those and the copper ones work well with the above method.

english kanigit
November 21, 2006, 04:40 PM
Here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=1747197&postcount=16) is the quickest and easiest way to tell if your strippers will work or jam up hopelessly. :o

You'll notice that turned on end, the John Masen clips will match the one on the left.

EK

Third_Rail
November 21, 2006, 07:13 PM
I just ordered a dozen packs of the clips, we'll see how they work in my Mosins. :)

Hopefully I get the Tikka clips! If I do, I may very well just take making a die to press them into my own hands, since that previous project fell through completely.

pbhome71
November 21, 2006, 07:25 PM
I also order a couple from Tapco.

I will report back when I get them.

-Pat.

Third_Rail
November 23, 2006, 03:12 AM
My order should be shipping Friday, so I may get it Monday. If I do, I'll be posting here with results.

If these clips are the good ones, I'll be basically buying them out at $3/5. :D

pbhome71
November 26, 2006, 06:41 PM
Here's the picture...

They look like they have Tikka marking on them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48504&stc=1&d=1164580723

Cosmoline
November 26, 2006, 07:34 PM
Looks like they're still in stock. Just remember don't try to push straight down, use the top round as a lever by lifting the tip and pusing on the base. They should then feed smoothly.

Third_Rail
November 27, 2006, 09:20 PM
Alright, I'll be getting my clips Thursday; I'll post when they arrive. What exactly am I looking for as a mark to tell they're the good type?

FWIW, they're still in stock.

Cosmoline
November 27, 2006, 09:41 PM
The T in a upside-down triangle in a circle, which is the Tikkakoski factory logo.

Third_Rail
November 27, 2006, 09:56 PM
Here's hoping, otherwise I just bought 50 useless clips. :D

If they work out well, I'll buy all I can afford.

cracked butt
November 28, 2006, 02:27 AM
Huh. I saw the top cartridge lifted up while loading a mosin in a video game awhile back and thought What the Heck? I guess even the game programming geeks get it right once in awhile too.:cool:

Cosmoline
November 28, 2006, 02:53 AM
Is that "Red Orchestra"? They even cycle the bolt correctly in that game. No more left handed Mosins.

cracked butt
November 28, 2006, 03:17 AM
Yes, believe so.

Hoppy590
November 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
ordered mine, heres to hoping!

Third_Rail
November 29, 2006, 02:29 PM
The suspense is killing me - they'll be here tomorrow most likely. :D

Third_Rail
November 30, 2006, 06:42 PM
Alright, all 50 clips are marked with the Tikka logo, and all except one arrived in perfect condition - one was partially flattened, but I fixed it.

I tried them in all of my Mosins, and they all work perfectly with Cosmoline's method of the "wing" formation and using the top cartridge as a lever.

Anyone who wants some - order them before I order them all..... I just ordered another 100 clips and 10 ammo pouches with tools - those are nice too.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way..... THANK YOU, COSMOLINE!

MSGT9410
November 30, 2006, 07:25 PM
Is that "Red Orchestra"? They even cycle the bolt correctly in that game. No more left handed Mosins.

Neato, I play that all the time.

They do this on the Mausers too... I can't say I've ever had a problem just pushing straight down on those (not to mention, it feeds much faster)?

Well, on my M48, anyways...

rugbyer81
November 30, 2006, 08:57 PM
Cosmoline thanks for posting how to do this. I bought a stripper clip for mine awhile back and havent been able to get it to work, but it turns out all I needed to do was pull up on that top one.

LeafsFan
December 18, 2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the info! I bought a couple of cheap-0 replica clips when I got my Mosin last summer and couldn't get them to work even once.

I just tried this loading method at the range yesterday and they worked like a charm, every time I used them.

Cheers!:D

Cosmoline
December 18, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm glad this is working out. Now we just need to find some small province to invade.

Hoppy590
December 19, 2006, 11:36 PM
rhode island is small. and has Providence as a city... hows that?

Cosmoline
December 20, 2006, 12:40 AM
Onward!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/HPL.jpg

Hoppy590
December 20, 2006, 12:57 AM
i can imagine now

" Breaking news, the state of rhode island has been invaded by an unknown armed force. the invaders are armed with 100 year old soviet rifles. state police poodle shooter 223's are outclassed, stay tuned for more updates"

Nekron
December 20, 2006, 03:59 PM
Has anyone tried the clips from Johnmasen.com? They look like the real deal but I can't tell if they're original or recent manufacture.

Cosmoline
December 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
Yes, that's where I got mine. See the first post.

dispatch55126
December 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have a joke for you...what do you call someone who walks by a display at a gun show several times, continously picks up the "good" stripper clips then walks away thinking they're the bad ones..............................................................................wait for it........................................................ME!!!!!!:cuss:

U.S.SFC_RET
December 21, 2006, 12:08 AM
Cosmo You are pretty close to Russia and Alaska used to be Russia.So What's a good and decent M39 going for nowadays? I am lookin for one and howabout the Russian snipers M31 I think? the one with the scope? They any good. From what I am hearing you are turning into a Moseen go to guy. What is a good www site to buy them out of?

Cosmoline
December 21, 2006, 12:22 AM
Sadly there are no import/export systems set up between us and the RFE for firearms. Even getting their superlative Magadanskya vodka over here has been difficult. The corruption levels are out of control, and Moscow still has a way of quashing any good ideas. I would dearly love to scrounge around their arsenals, as I'm quite sure a lot of weird old stuff ended up washing up in the gulags and provincial towns.

The M39's are Finnish anyway. They run about $200 to $300 locally, which is only a bit more than the national market on them. I've bought a few from WGA. The Soviet snipers are M-91/30's, usually with a PU scope on them. The repros run for $300 to $500. I've only seen one real one.

Hoppy590
December 21, 2006, 12:48 AM
imagine how cool it would be to get a pass to scrounge around the arsenals

Sabah Alev
June 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
aren't these made for russian farmers with little to no education?

Rubber_Duck
June 22, 2008, 01:49 AM
aren't these made for russian farmers with little to no education?

:confused:

This thread was a year and a half old.

If you enjoyed reading about "How To Use Mosin Stripper Clips--Mystery Revealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!