Front sides are serrated for press check capability.

PDA

Mad Magyar
November 21, 2006, 03:20 PM
That caption came from a quote describing a customized feature on their pistol.
Even M. Ayoob in LFI-1 doesn't recommend a press check (manifestly unsafe, don't do it). Recently, I read where gun writers were gushing over two recent pistols that had the front slide serrated, not bothering to say why...Even had blown up pictures to illustrate. Heck, Kimber's high priced pistols don't have any, why the fuss?
I say, not needed, especially if it increases the price....What say you?:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Front sides are serrated for press check capability." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
November 21, 2006, 03:29 PM
When I took LFI classes, I recall Mas being very critical of the "pinching" method of press checking. However, coming up under or over the pistol was permissible.

No real fuss. I prefer them as your hands will be covered in sweat, blood or other fluids in a fight. Some like them, some do not. IME, the more hours you have, the more you prefer them. However, in the gun culture, the subjective is objective.:D

Black Majik
November 21, 2006, 03:39 PM
I actually like FCS. Can't say I like the looks, but it is useful. I presscheck from underneath to peak in the chamber and it definitely helps. Trying to press-check my Colt is night and day difference vs. my Baer.

Desertscout
November 21, 2006, 08:54 PM
Yes, Kimber does put forward cocking grooves on several of their high-dollar models. The XD's and others come with them.
We teach, and highly recommend, doing the chamber-check by coming from beneath the gun. We have chamber-check grooves on all of our Glocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/IMG_G26fgrgrv.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/IMG_G26-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/IMG_LSgrooves.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/IMG_monyhunter.jpg

Dienekes
November 21, 2006, 10:18 PM
Never understood the mystique of the "press check". Maybe it's tactical or something, but why not just pull the slide back slingshot mode enough to see brass and let it go at that?

Too many digits getting close to muzzles and triggers to suit me.

MICHAEL T
November 21, 2006, 10:27 PM
I would think you should know if your pistol is loaded or not. Mine is loaded at all times except when cleaning or I have just shot to slide lock. Since no one except me touches my pistols. I know their loaded. Ialso think Hammer back and safety on is a clue To me the press test is like the guy in movies flipping cyl. out spining and wrist snaping back waste of time. Mabe gamers need but a SD carry gun I don't think so. I will not buy a new pistol with them

JoeHatley
November 22, 2006, 10:37 AM
What say you?

I don't do "press checks", but for some of my handguns with mounted optics, the front slide serrations are needed.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/sw1911_l_ud.jpg

If the factory didn't put them on, I'd just have to pay a smith to add them.

Joe

BigG
November 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
If the factory didn't put them on, I'd just have to pay a smith to add them.

Either that, or get an old bolt handle welded onto the slide. I've seen that, too. :what:

Mad Magyar
November 22, 2006, 12:07 PM
"but for some of my handguns with mounted optics, the front slide serrations are needed."

Joe, I can see you really need it....Nice pistol.....I'm kind a like Dienekes on this.....Anyway, thanks for the input & opinions....:)
Desertscout, thanks for the correction....Some of the Kimbers I looked at didn't have them, but you are right....

gc70
November 22, 2006, 01:41 PM
Would someone explain the purpose(s) of press checking.

Mad Magyar
November 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
GC70:
"I would think you should know if your pistol is loaded or not."
From Michael's post:

Coyote3855
November 22, 2006, 06:06 PM
I don't want to take sides in this argument, if this is an argument, and if there are sides, so if gc70's question is rhetorical, I apologize in advance. I am not trying to be a smartass. You press check to determine if there is a round in the chamber. I first saw a lot of press checking on Open pistols in IPSC competition. Joe Hatley's picture explains why: the optics are in the way of a "slingshot" check.

In response to MichaelT, yup, you ought to know if your gun is loaded and this is one way to be sure. In competition, you start with an empty gun and load at the line. I shot Limited and prefered the slingshot check (ditto on digits at the muzzle end), but I did it every time to be sure I had one in the pipe before the buzzer went off. Someone whose opinion I respected but whose name I don't remember said to check your load when you take the gun off, and when you put it back on. I'm a fallible human being, so yeah, I check to be sure there's fire in hole at least twice a day. Never wasn't when there should have been, but I like to be sure. Like some other wit said, "the loudest sound in the world is a click when you are expecting a bang.'

Coyote3855
Belt and Suspenders

If you enjoyed reading about "Front sides are serrated for press check capability." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!