A photo of the Texas Ranger whose Colt Super .38

PDA

John Holbrook
November 21, 2006, 06:38 PM
I recently acquired. I received this photo from the Texas State Archives. I still have bio info coming from the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco...

http://www.fototime.com/%7B72126EA0-34D2-4A31-99BD-A92789EEAE20%7D/picture.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "A photo of the Texas Ranger whose Colt Super .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
November 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
He's no Chuck Norris.
:neener:

Car Knocker
November 21, 2006, 07:20 PM
He's no Chuck Norris.
No, Rohatch is the real deal.

Iceman711
November 21, 2006, 07:27 PM
We'll have to see how he round house kicks.

Nice buy! Do I DARE ask how much it was?

f4t9r
November 21, 2006, 07:50 PM
very nice , you will have to tell us more !!!!!

MICHAEL T
November 21, 2006, 11:08 PM
He could have never carried that weapon on duty.:uhoh: Doesn't have lowered ejection port, night sights, mag well funnel, or a rail to hang a flashlight. Let alone some lasor type grips.:eek: He wouldn't last 2 sec today against a real gunslinger. Bet he didn't have a trigger job or go to and uppity gunfighter school either. Used that over penteration ball ammo to. But the worst thing likely carried in a leather holster maybe loaded with hammer down:what:

Great looking pistol I like to have a 38 super my self.

panzermk2
November 22, 2006, 12:17 AM
He's no Chuck Norris.

Your right He’s a Ranger, “one riot, one Ranger”

very nice piece

grayelky
November 22, 2006, 12:39 AM
I'm with f4t9r. Please tell us more when you get the info on him. A number of the wimpy a## rookies we are getting lately need to read about real LEO's. I suspect he was one.

skipjack
November 22, 2006, 12:47 AM
Very cool! That is a great idea, looking up that info. Nice tribute to a former lawman. I really like that pistol, too. Post more info when you get it; I am interested in reading it.:)

raytracer
November 22, 2006, 12:51 AM
That is cool beyond words!

Joe

WESTTX357
November 22, 2006, 12:53 AM
Very very nice always cool to know some history behind a firearm .

Arkie
November 22, 2006, 12:57 AM
I think it's pretty neat to have some documented history and even a photo to go along with it.
Congrats on the newly acquired gun...

I think everyone would love to read it too. :)

John Holbrook
November 22, 2006, 02:11 AM
Here is the letter from Colt, verifying the shipment to El Paso for Ranger Rohatch.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3AC4FAA1-CDFE-4E46-AA3B-9BA6401278E3%7D/picture.JPG

PO2Hammer
November 22, 2006, 02:56 AM
Pretty darn cool.
Is it a shooter or a collectable?
Collectable I would guess, nice documentation.
Just bought a Colt .38 Super myself (Mk-IV series 80).

LeonCarr
November 22, 2006, 04:14 AM
Most people see pictures of lawmen back in the 30s and 40s carrying 1911s, and assume they were using .45s. A big chunk of them were .38 Supers, which had a reputation for penetrating the automobile bodies of the time and also the primitive body armor some crooks were wearing.

A trip to the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco is a must for any gun enthusiast. Lots of nice stuff.

Ranger Rohatch could smoke Chuck Norris like a Cuban Cigar :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Cowboybootnut
November 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
Ditto on a trip to the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. A great place and tribute to the real deal. Plan on spending most of the day. :)

dracphelan
November 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
1. It must be great to have a firearm with that kind of history.
2. You might want to do something in a graphics editing program to take out your address in the letter from Colt.

cookekdjr
November 22, 2006, 10:01 AM
John,
This is one of the coolest threads. Ever.
How does the gun shoot?
-David

33-805
November 22, 2006, 10:06 AM
That is really a great thing to do. You are keeping alive the memory of a man through his personal weapon. Pure history. Nicely done. Thank you.

Arkady
November 22, 2006, 01:26 PM
You might want to black out your address and the serial number on that letter.

Nice pistol, it's good to know the history that comes with them.

John Holbrook
November 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
Here is the placard I will use in my gun show display...

As far as hiding my address, I am a very well known collector and thousands of folks know where I live, also I don't hide serial numbers, as all my firearms are legally obtained. If I were to display a gun that someone claimed to be stolen, they would have to PROVE it, and I would return it to the rightfully owner!!!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BA540DDFC-BFCF-47EE-982A-65112A37A8B4%7D/picture.JPG

panzermk2
November 23, 2006, 02:20 AM
thats just to fricken cool

Grayrider
November 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
It certainly is. Great gun with a great history lesson attached. Thank you for posting it!

John

Sistema1927
November 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
John,

I wish that you would adopt me!

You have just about the coolest Colts on the planet.

Reloader
November 23, 2006, 02:13 PM
Just a comment on the caliber choice;
1. The .38 Super is highly prized in Mexico, since .45's were (are) forbidden to everyone in the country except the military.

2. If the Rangers had gone into old Mexico, I was told by several rangers I happen to know, and some did in the line of duty, the reason was availability of ammo if needed. They were usually on speaking terms with some of the officials and could be re-supplied there. And they prevented the Rurales from arresting them for illegal firearm calibers.

3. Please let us know also, if Mr. Rohatch was a Special Ranger with commission or a regular commissioned Ranger. See the Texas Ranger website for the detailed difference.

My additional source is the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, with various sources.

John Holbrook
November 23, 2006, 03:33 PM
There is a great lesson in this thread! I bought this historically important Colt off a table at a small gun show in Custer, WA. Many people walked right by it before I got to it. I heard one "expert" say that it had to much "wear".. He was looking for pristine examples.

I want the ones that show honest usage because they have a story to tell. Many pre-war Colt Super .38s were carried by LEOs of various federal, state and local agencys. So, every example I acquire, deserves a letter from Colts.

As an example, I bought #533 years ago, and got a letter. It was shipped to the Los Angeles Hardware Co. in 1929 for a gentleman from Butte, Montana. I contacted the Montana Historical Society and lo and behold the owner was notorious as the owner of the largest brothel and bar in Butte during the 1920s and 30s. The Colt had been carried and probably used, as Butte was a wild and wooley frontier mining town during the 20s and 30s.

BOY, IF IT COULD JUST TALK!!!!! My kinda pistola!!!!!!!

This is the right stock of Rohatch's Colt. It has the wear pattern of a pistol that has been carried. Note the small scratches on the front grip, again sure signs of a gun that has been carried by a right handed person in a holster. So who would be carrying a Colt Super .38. a law enforcement officer!!!!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD414EE42-BE36-4FB4-85BE-689F3CE36BDD%7D/picture.JPG

Leadbutt
November 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.texasranger.org/index.htm

GunNut
November 25, 2006, 06:11 PM
Great find, it's great that someone who cares about the history of guns owns it.

Where are your guns on display?

Steve

John Holbrook
November 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
I am always at the WAC show in Puyallup, and sometimes in Spokane and Reno..

Here is the top of Rohatch display..

http://www.fototime.com/%7B89678B34-45A0-46FD-8725-314EEEEAE393%7D/picture.JPG

GunNut
November 26, 2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks, I'm going to have to get to the WAC show in Puyallup one of these days.

Steve

John Holbrook
November 26, 2006, 01:48 PM
Here is another example of my displays. I collect documented guns, as I fancy myself as an amateur historian.. I like guns with a story to tell!!!

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8C8D8529-DA66-4D76-91F3-E7FDB09E5E13%7D/picture.JPG

gunny1022
November 26, 2006, 02:25 PM
My dad grew up near a retired Texas Ranger. He was assigned to the East Texas oil field towns in the 1920s. He said Dodge City was like Disneyland compared to those. Many used the .38 Super with armor piercing special bullets to shoot at cars. He said a pistol, however was a last resort weapon. His favorites were a Winchester Model 97, and a short barrel BAR full auto specially made for the Rangers. He said one night in Burk Burnet, Texas eight people were killed in separate gunfights. I'm sure your 1911 could tell some stories. He said water wagons would go out to the drilling rigs and charge $1.00 a glass for water.

Cocked & Locked
November 26, 2006, 08:31 PM
That's a very nice Colt with a documented history that would be hard to top. Colts and S&W Registered Magnums with either Texas Ranger or FBI provenance are as good as it gets.

Chuck Norris has nothing to do with it...besides, he's just the Ab-Flex infommercial guy or something like that ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "A photo of the Texas Ranger whose Colt Super .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!