Glock 23 or H&K USPc

PDA

jacklord
November 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
My local gun dealer gave me a quote of $440 for the Glock 23 and a price of $700 for the H&K USPc. The H&K comes with nights sites and 3 magazines whereas as the Glock is NIB 2 mags factory sites.

What is the better deal dollar for dollar?

Is the quality/reliability of the H&K for $260 more than the Glock?

I hear nothing but good things about both guns.
Thanks for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 23 or H&K USPc" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
November 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
Have both, like both, but really prefer the USPc ;) IMO, more versatile, more accurate, just more :D

miko
November 21, 2006, 07:24 PM
I have smallish hands, so I hated the Glock's feel and would have surely got a USPc if I did not find a P2000 - which is a further development of USPc and very similar to it in feel.

miko

kirkcdl
November 21, 2006, 07:54 PM
The USP can be carried cocked and locked or hammer down DA,and has second strike capability,if that matters to you.I have both and carry both depending on my mood.If you download the CDNN catalog you can do better on the USPc price...:D

Reyn
November 21, 2006, 07:57 PM
Id get the Glock. I like the Glocks better than HKs. At least the USPs. Never handled the 2000s. I still own a HK and its a great gun,no problems at all. I just dont like the feel as much as i do the Glocks.

Ares45
November 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
Anybody know if Glocks have a magazine disconnect? I know HK doesn't. The USP will fire without a magazine inserted. Another thing to consider if you're planning on carrying for personal defense.

Glocks unsupported chamber would steer me in another direction, especially in a high pressure round like the 40. Reloads or no.

MountainBear
November 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
Glock does not have a magazine disconnect and they are much easier to find accesories for. Holsters, magazines, etc. are easier to get and magazines are cheaper.

mete
November 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
For me the grip shape makes all the difference grips angled back like the Glock point far too high for me so I'd get the HK.

Grunt
November 21, 2006, 09:51 PM
I have both and while I like my Glock 23, I prefer the USP-40C a bit better.

Whatsit
November 21, 2006, 09:53 PM
USPC without a doubt!

Don Lu
November 21, 2006, 09:58 PM
I only have the GLOCK 23. It is my first gun and I love it... I shoot very accurate w/it and have never had a misfeed in over 2000k rounds. If you get accuracy and dependability from a gun, what else would you need..save a few dollars and get the GLOCK.

javacodeman
November 21, 2006, 10:17 PM
I can't give you an "I own both" opinion, but I can say that I own the very gun you are considering (H&K .40 USPc) and I love all parts of it. It is easy to feild strip and clean, accurate, never fails to feed, totally reliable. I personally like the grip, but that is for your hand to decide for you. I don't know what features the Glock has (maybe someone can comment), but the H&K has a side safety that also functions a decocker. This is key for me as I prefer to have one in the chamber, but in DA/SA mode. With the decocker, I can safely (and I always have muzzle control while doing this so no flaming) decock the gun after I chamber an administrative load.

Also, it has a safety that isn't deactivated when you put your finger on the trigger (:neener: for all the Glock fans out there).

java

edit: Okay, maybe yours isn't the 40 calibre--picked that up from somebody else's reply.

doubleg
November 21, 2006, 10:40 PM
I have shot a usp40 and a wide variety of glocks. So IMO usp hands down. Call me crazy but I just dont understand how someone can carry a pistol with out a saftey or hammer. Also, I have had several jams and misfires in glock pistols.

usp_fan
November 21, 2006, 11:59 PM
Started with a full sized USP, then Glock, and for many of the reasons already stated, I'm back to HK with a usp40c. Great gun, very accurate, accessories are easy to find--but do cost more. I actually believe the HK is a stronger and better made pistol as well.

--usp_fan

GunNut
November 22, 2006, 12:53 AM
I've had both and now only have Glock's.

The USPc is a great gun, just too expensive. Add to that super expensive magazines, and my money goes elsewhere.

Steve

BamBam-31
November 22, 2006, 02:40 AM
Well, I owned an HK USP .40 fullsize, plus various Glocks. The HK was one of the first guns I sold, more because of the snappy .40 recoil than anything with the gun itself. I found the HK to be very well-made, easy to clean, accurate and reliable (except for several stove pipes from bad reloads). Ergos were pretty good, but the grip was a bit too fat for my tastes. I do feel that HK's tend to be overpriced for what they are, but it's not like you're getting junk, either.

I'm a huge Glock fan, on the other hand. My Excaliber is my G17, and my first handgun ever was a G19 (which will never be sold). I cut my teeth on the Glock trigger, so I never knew it was a "bad" trigger. Well, I've got a competition trigger in my G17, plus Heinie/DP FO sights, and I can do some pretty amazing shooting with that setup, slow and fast. Like a previous poster said, it's reliable and accurate--what more do you want out of gun?

Then again, Glocks aren't for everybody. I'm just glad they fit me. ;)

md7
November 22, 2006, 03:56 PM
welcome to THR jack. you won't go wrong with either brand. both are reliable and solid. my preference though, goes to the glock.

bigsarg99
November 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Both are solid guns and have good reputations. It totally depends on what you plan to do with the weapon. Will it be for just home defense/ range gun or a ccw? I own a USP Tactical .45 that I bought in Germany when they first came out and I have had nothing but great service out of it. My wife has a Glock 32 that she has had almost as long as my HK and it has been a great gun as well. She carries it as her ccw but is in the process of selling it in favor of the S&W M&P .40. Nothing wrong with the glock but the resale value is not as great as my HK. I think that either choice you make will be one that you will be happy with. If possible i suggest that you try them out at a rental range or a friends house. Good luck!

Still 2 Many Choices!?
November 22, 2006, 11:05 PM
I am a frugal buyer and the H&K, as good as it is, is inflated for the name... To be fair, the Glock is also, but it will do all the USP will at a cheaper price. If the manual safety bothers you then get the USP. I am a little biased though, the only H&K products I would like to buy now I am too poor to afford, or simply not allowed to own (MP5, UMP, 416, etc, etc:o ). My Glock goes bang when I want it to, and I clean it when I feel like it, and still expect it to go bang if needed:) . The trigger is an aquired taste but works for a combat pistol.

Still 2 Many Choices!?

never_retreat
November 23, 2006, 08:48 PM
I have a usp compact 9mm and hands down a better product than my glock.
It gives you all the options for carry. cocked and locked, sa or da.
Plus HK came out with the polymer frame 15 years before the glock. Everyone else is just a nock off.:D Honstly no problems ever except for underpowered reloads.

Autolycus
November 24, 2006, 07:08 AM
HK all the way.

michiganfan
November 24, 2006, 03:39 PM
I had both and liked the G23 better. For me the HK was a little thick.

Mike_in_OC
November 24, 2006, 05:30 PM
I had the same debate. Shot both guns and picked the Glock 23. I prefer the glock trigger pull and reset better than the HK. I dont think reliablity will be an issue with the HK or G23.

CB900F
November 24, 2006, 10:47 PM
Jack;

I don't know you, but here goes anyway. :D H&K catalog 702509, page 5, where I quote: (picture above) "(Above) During testing, a bullet was deliberately lodged in a USP barrel. Another cartridge was then fired into the obstructing bullet. The pistol was then fired for accuracy and the resulting group measured less than 2.5 inches at 25 meters (right)." Picture to right shows the group.

Not only was the pistol able to fire, but it was able to do so accurately according to the H&K source. Now, I wasn't there & obviously don't know all the test conditions, but nonetheless, that's impressive as hell to me.

900F

1man
November 25, 2006, 03:32 PM
I have both. My Glock is my home gun and my USPc is my carry!
If you have to pick one, I'd go with HK!

HGUNHNTR
November 25, 2006, 04:29 PM
Have owned both, both are great. I vote for the HK. Better trigger, and potentially better accuracy.

aryfrosty
November 25, 2006, 09:48 PM
I don't have an HK at the moment, other than a G-3, so can't say much about them. I settled on the .40 Short & Weak because I can do fairly well with it. Never owned Glocks when they first came out, but picked up one at a gun show one day and never put it down. At the moment I have an M-27 for CC and an M-22 for the holster. I have approached the idea of modifying Glocks slowly and have mine the way I want them. They are quick and easy to shoot properly and if you get a pocket tool and certain parts you can be ready for most things which can happen to your weapon at the wrong time short of a major failure. By the by...I bought a rear sight tool and have ordered Trijicons for both of mine and installed them in less time than it takes to field strip and clean them. One thing I found out the hard way: Trijicon only warrants their yellow rear sights for 5 years. Guess the yellow gas pellet doesn't last as long as the green ones. Don't know about the red rear sights.:cool:

Edmond
November 25, 2006, 11:08 PM
They're both good guns. Out of the box, I would go with the USPc. The SA trigger on the USPc is superb but the DA has a lot to be desired for. The factory Glock trigger has a lot to be desired for as well. Then again, I'm probably spoiled by the P2K and Sig triggers.

The Glock will not only be cheaper for you initially but in the long run as well. The accessories will be easier to track down and usually lower in price. Everything is expensive with H&K. Mags are $40, twice that of the Glock mags and you get less capacity with the H&K.

Personally, I would go with the P2K. I know it's a little higher in price but it's worth the extra, IMO.

noops
November 25, 2006, 11:09 PM
I do the same as 1man, Glock for home, USPc for carry. If I had to pick one, it'd be the USPc.

N

Dollar An Hour
November 25, 2006, 11:19 PM
I prefer the feel of the G23. A buddy has one that is a real workhorse, just goes and goes... Fun to shoot too.

I don't care for USP's feel in hand, and HK triggers leave something to be desired, especially considering their (high) prices.

Also, Glock customer service is a cut above HK should you need them.

I don't see the HK being worth the price difference, no way.

LAK Supply
November 26, 2006, 12:23 AM
Both of these guns are great! It is difficult to beat the USP, but it does carry a more significant price tag. On the other hand, the Glock is VERY proven as well. My only problem with the HK is the safety/decocker. I like the fact that if my weapon is loaded and I pull the trigger, it shoots. Too many features can be a bad thing in a tight spot.
The HK will tend to be more accurate than the Glock, but you can take care of that for less than what the difference will be between the two guns.
My Glock 20 is one of the best-shooting guns I have owned. The first thing I did was install a 3.5 Ghost disconnect. The reset is about 1/8" - makes for great follow-ups.
If you install a mag well on the Glock grip, you will find that it makes a HUGE difference. It helps your hand suck right up on the grip. I had one on my Glock 31 and I will now put one on every Glock I ever own!
Overall, you are looking at a difference in price and preference. You may be talking about a 1-2" difference in groups at 25 yards; if this accuracy difference is a problem, you should be shooting at your target with a long gun anyway. So, it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. Handle both guns a bit, and if at all possible, shoot them at a range. You will find out which one is for you when you actually shoot both of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 23 or H&K USPc" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!