SA vs DA (DAO?) ?

PDA

2ndAmendment
November 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
Please excuse the noobness, but I just need to ask. I am new to the whole gun world, and have yet to take any classes yet. I've heard many people speak of different attributes of handguns, and am just curious as to the difference between single action and double action? Any other input/general info you feel necessary to share with a noob would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "SA vs DA (DAO?) ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
November 21, 2006, 09:45 PM
Hopefully this will help, http://www.corneredcat.com/Words/Glossary.htm. The rest of the site is full of good info, and the author, THR Moderator Pax, says it better than I can. Take a look at it and hopefully it'll help answer alot of questions. If you need more info/clarification please keep asking here.

DRMMR02
November 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
I prefer DA/SA. DAO guns generally don't have a manual safety, and instead rely on the longer DA trigger pull to keep the weapon safe. SA only guns like the 1911 are generally carried "cocked and locked" where the hammer is cocked back while carrying. I am not a big fan of this. DA/SA allows you to carry with the safety on-hammer down, safety off-unchambered, safety on-hammer cocked, etc. You can draw and fire the first shot in DA if you wish, or you can draw and cocked the hammer with your thumb, or while chambering a round. Then if you prefer you can either already have the safety off, or you can flick it off with your thumb before you fire. DA/SA really gives you the most options depending on what you want.

Dienekes
November 21, 2006, 10:13 PM
The principal purpose of SA/DA and DAO guns is to make administrators less queasy reading the morning papers. Allegedly these systems are "safer" and will allow management to throw any and all blame on the working stiff if anything goes amiss. It also allows them to de-emphasize good hiring and training practices in lieu of buying the "safest" gun on the market.

Lost in all that is the idea that a SA gun (example, 1911) is often the best *weapon* in the hands of trained, competent people. Granted, they are often in short supply, but that doesn't change the premise.

Such semiautos as I have are all Browning patent SAs. Good triggers, good sights, reliable--all I need, nothing I don't.

Give them some thought but be prepared to work at it if you get one. Good luck.

ugaarguy
November 21, 2006, 10:18 PM
I'll follow up on what the previous poster said. DA/SA is something I don't care for - you must learn to fire the first round DA with a long and heavy pull, and transition to SA with a short and light pull for all subsequent shots.

I much prefer SA, DAO, or the new lightened DAO mechanisms where the trigger pull is the same everytime. Carrying "cocked and locked" is nothing to fear. Carrying a DA/SA or DAO gun with no safety is also nothing to fear - DA revolvers (with very few exceptions) do not have safeties and rely on the longer and heavier trigger pull. Keeping your finger off the trigger, and out of the trigger guard in conjunction with a quality holster that covers the trigger will eliminate accidental discharges. Use the safety between your ears.

As for versatility both HK and Taurus offer three position levers. Up for safety, center for fire, or down to decock (safely drop the hammer on a firing pin block). With these systems you can carry cocked & locked SA, or hammer down DA/SA with safety on or off.

Like I said, take a look at the link I provided. Hopefully the definitions there will help our gun jargon make sense.

10-Ring
November 21, 2006, 10:29 PM
With enough trigger time, all work well. It's about which mode you are willing to dedicate an appropriate amount of practice to master it...I look at it as another reason to go to the range :D

2ndAmendment
November 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
Thank you all for your input. And thanks ugaarguy for that site - it was a great crash course on gun terminology.

If you enjoyed reading about "SA vs DA (DAO?) ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!