Damn, now I'm rubbish picking and I'm not happy.

PDA

Luggernut
November 22, 2006, 01:30 AM
Well it's not like it sounds. But I did go to the range today and now that I've been reloading I'm always keeping an eye out for left over brass. Well in the trash was 3 or 4 empty boxes of commercial .45 ammo. The problem was some stiff put all their cases in the trash too instead of using the brass bucket! Damn I was pissed. I fished thru the trash for a bit as some cases were sitting on top. I was tempted to try to get more but I just couldn't get myself to trash pick that hard. Doesn't that piss you off though? :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Damn, now I'm rubbish picking and I'm not happy." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SpiderJohn
November 22, 2006, 02:18 AM
What part enraged you? That you left a job undone, that you have gotten as bad as me about brass and reloading, or that the guy who took the time to clean up his mess, didn't exaclty finish the job properly?

Just teasing. All reloaders go through this. You ought to see us go through dumspters at clay shoots, just to pick out the STS hulls.:neener:

270Win
November 22, 2006, 02:33 AM
Clay shooters and STS hulls DEFINITELY take the cake around here... :p

What I hate most is when I see some cartridge I need/want (what's the difference??)... only someone just let the brass sit in the cold, wet mud and now it's corroded to hell and beyond... totally unusable. ARGH!

Last range trip I found some Wolf Gold 7.5x55 brass... in the mud, at the farthest bench, totally caked and filled with mud and rainwater, and completely ruined.

...some people...

;)

Idano
November 22, 2006, 02:33 AM
We call that brass buzzarding

The Bushmaster
November 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hell Luggernut...I'da dove right in that trash can...:D I have no pride when it comes to useable brass (my precious)...

dragongoddess
November 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
So this is what awaits me if I take the reloading plunge.

benedict1
November 22, 2006, 10:41 AM
I haven't taken the plunge into the trash bins, yet. However, I do crawl around on the floor on my hands and knees for brass. You have to be real careful that the other shooters don't step on your gun hand though.:eek:

wolf_from_wv
November 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
You don't carry latex gloves? :eek:

What's worse, is when someone throws diapers away in the can... :fire:

:D

scout26
November 22, 2006, 11:15 AM
I have not put my five year old son in a dumpster to pick shotgun hulls, and he does not immediately knock over the trash barrels at the range when we first get there.

I don't care what my wife said she saw me/him doing.

And yes dragongoddess, it gets to the point where you spend more time looking at the hulls (or brass) on the ground then concentrating on your scores/targets. I've shot skeet where me and another shooter we're giving each other the hairy eyeball because another shooter was shooting paper hulls out of his A-5 and let them hit the ground.

Dr. Dickie
November 22, 2006, 11:34 AM
Dumpster diving for brass?
Yea, I would do that.
Not that proud, and I got a kitty litter bucket full of brass:neener:

Brian Williams
November 22, 2006, 11:43 AM
You know you have it real bad when you go to the range just to mine the brass....

bender
November 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
last time at the range, I went to Dietz Range between San Antonio & New Braunfels, TX. There were cow patties all over the place, even on the paved area where the shooters benches are.

A lot of my brass was landing in the middle of 3 large patties... but I picked it up anyway.... :)

JDGray
November 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
I been to the local police outdoor range, and it kills me to see all that once fired .40 cal brass on the ground, all bulged up from being Glocked:D I pick up all the 9mm I can find, usually piles of a hundred or more, from their MP5s.

RustyFN
November 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
So this is what awaits me if I take the reloading plunge.
Yes and once you get there you can't turn back. I find myself making excuses to go shoot so I can pick up brass. The worst part is I pick up brass in calibers that I don't own guns in.
Rusty

Firehand
November 22, 2006, 09:16 PM
Last time I went to the range for some rifle time, I found two bandoliers for M1 in the trash can, cardboards and all. Oh yeah, they came home with me.

I've found a lot of brass that'd been left out in the weather and rain and mud; if it's not actually corroded or damaged, it gets washed out and then tumbled.

Luggernut
November 22, 2006, 09:18 PM
I can understand leaving it on the range.. but if someone is taking the time to pick it up to throw it into a trash barrel... why not put it into the brass bucket!!! :cuss:

Declaration Day
November 22, 2006, 09:40 PM
At my local DNR operated range, people throw brass in the trash, and trash in the brass buckets.

Last week I went shooting there, then scrounged through the brass buckets for about 1/2 hour. I found 300+ .30-06 cases, 99% shiny factory brass (not Korean milsurp). That'll save me some $$ on Garand food.

redneck2
November 23, 2006, 05:11 PM
I have maybe 500 rounds of 10mm all loaded up. Hate to shoot it because I know those new Starline cases will be scattered all over the range.

I actually prefer shooting my 45 LC since I don't have to scrounge the brass

And they're call "brass rats" around here because they scrounge thru the trash (not that I'd ever do that:rolleyes: )

MNgoldenbear
November 23, 2006, 05:23 PM
The worst part is I pick up brass in calibers that I don't own guns in.
Well now, Rusty, you can't just pick up that brass and let it SIT there 'cause you don't have a gun for it. Get moving and finish the job -- you need to go gun shopping! :D That was an excuse that I'd heard several times for getting new guns. ("Gee, I have all this nice brass in (insert caliber) and nothing to shoot it out of. Honey, you wouldn't want me to be WASTEFUL, would you? ;) )

Smokey Joe
November 24, 2006, 01:46 PM
Any brass that comes my way, for which I don't have a gun, goes into the scrap brass bucket, along with cases bent by the reloading press, cases so old they cracked, etc.

(Except belted magnum brass, which I take to a gun show and sell to one of the dealers in reloadable brass. Usable brass always fetches better than the scrap price!) :)

When the time comes for the trip to the scrap dealer, the brass bucket goes there, along with all the misc. copper wire that's been found, auto batteries that've died, and of course the collection of aluminum beverage cans.

This is called recycling, and it's been politically correct since the '70's or so. Of course, thrifty folks have been doing it a lot longer than that.

The market for just about all metals is up. The scrap-metal money helps defray shooting/reloading costs.

At the range sometimes I ask shooters if they're reloaders, if they're shooting an interesting cartridge. Sometimes the answer is "no." Sometimes the non-reloaders will collect their brass and hand it to me--I don't even have to dive into the scrap bucket for it. :)

Sisco
November 24, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'll even pick up stuff I have no use for! Once thought I was in Heaven when I found a pile of 45LC brass, couple of boxes worth. Don't even own a 45, maybe someday though.
Then there was the time I spent about 20 minutes picking up .308 brass, nice shiny stuff I thought a friend could use. Didn't notice until I got home that it was all Berdan primed. :uhoh:
When my son was about 14 he loaded up a 30 round mag and ran it through my M1 carbine as fast as he could pull the trigger. I asked him if he had fun. Big 'ole grin on his face as he said "Yeah!". The grin disappeared when I told him I expected all thirty empty cases to be recovered. From the weeds and sandburs.:evil:

donttellthewife
November 24, 2006, 03:49 PM
Just a little soap and water will clean you up once you climb out of the garbage bin. And if the guys who chew tabbaco think that slows me down they're wrong. Once a range rat aways a range rat, relaoding tuned me into a brass junkie, trips to the range just for brass you bet. the worst thing I ever did was to take in a 5 gallon bucket of 40 s+w brass to the scrap yard just because my loading room was a cluster and I don't have a gun in that caliber. After doing the deed I felt terrible, having denied that brass the chance to be come a whole round again, never again. Now if I have brass that I don't want, I make sure it gets a good home, a little chew, a garbage bin and some deserving range rat who shows dedication.:neener:

GaryL
November 26, 2006, 01:10 AM
I like to be the first out after a big spring thaw. All that nice shiney brass sunning itself after being buried in the snow and ice is fun to find. Hardly needs tumbling... :)

dave5339
November 28, 2006, 01:30 PM
My wife and I took our 3 small children with us to a semi private range in the area. One of us stayed with them at all times and kept them well away from the active firing line.

We made a game for them called "Pick up the Brass"! They all had fun picking up the spent cases. They also earned themselves each $1. I now have a bunch more 223 cases, 9 mm cases, 45 cases, a coffee can full of steel cases, a jug of blazer, and a 5 gallon bucket of scrap brass.

Semper Fi

The Bushmaster
November 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
Luggernut...Are you happy now.:) You got all of us confessing that we all Dipsty-Dumster Dive.:eek: Or are you still "not happy".:D

highlander 5
November 28, 2006, 02:18 PM
we used to let the Coast Guard use our outdoor range they left 9mm and 223 brass behind And I admit I'm a cheap sob so i would pick it up and at one point had 25k 9mm cases.
Had to stop I was running out of room for the stuff,even now I bite my lip when I see brass lying on the ground.

Smokey Joe
November 28, 2006, 03:11 PM
Highlander 5--I hear ya! We all have our limits. I'm to the point in .45ACP where it goes to the recycle bucket unless it is really primo (Starline, Fed, or Win,) and then I pull some out of my stock cases and recycle that instead, to make room.

Dave5339--Whaddya do with the steel cases? I can't find a buyer at all (though a local co. will take 'em off my hands for a favor) and of course don't reload the darn things!

The Bushmaster
November 28, 2006, 03:47 PM
I had that problem at one time, Smokey Joe. Then I moved to Missouri into a larger house with a basement. Got lots of room now...:evil:

Luggernut
November 28, 2006, 06:18 PM
The Bushmaster:
"Luggernut...Are you happy now. You got all of us confessing that we all Dipsty-Dumster Dive. Or are you still "not happy"."

I am very pleased to realize I am not the only one with this issue. Medication is not needed. It does make for some added excitement when going to the range.. but when it's just been cleaned up it's a downer.

I also seem to have a need to tumble and clean it ASAP as well. But that's another issue!

qajaq59
November 30, 2006, 09:51 AM
Last range trip I found some Wolf Gold 7.5x55 brass... in the mud, at the farthest bench, totally caked and filled with mud and rainwater, and completely ruined.
Boy, you must shoot with all the rich folks if they're tossing those kind cases? :evil:

ilbob
November 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
The other day at the range after the bullseye league was over, one of the shooters was rummaging through the brass bucket looking for reloadable cases. must have spent 15 or 20 minutes going through it and only came up with a couple hands full he was interested in, plus three 38 special cases he gave me. You would have thought he had found a hidden treasure. Must have been all of twenty .45 ACP cases. This was in a five gallon bucket about half full.

Why will people that are perfectly willing to spend $500 or $1000 on a gun so inclined to spend their free time scrounging brass?

Years ago Menards had an after Christmas sale. One of the things they had on sale for like $1 was a plastic red toolbox that was missing the normal tray inside. I bought about a dozen of them. About 10X10X24. I toss reloadable cases into the cleaner when I get back from the range, mine and whatever I find laying around. After I get a zip lock bag full of cleaned cases, the bag goes in the red tool box. I now have a toolbox almost full of 38 and another one nearly full of 9 mm. Three others are 2/3 or 3/4 full of various other calibers. Each caliber in its own ziplock bag neatly labeled with a sharpie.

The Bushmaster
November 30, 2006, 10:39 AM
:confused: "Why will people that are perfectly willing to spend $500 or $1000 on a gun so inclind to spend their free time scrounging brass?":confused:

So we can save to buy another gun and scrounge more brass for it....What else...:D

db_tanker
November 30, 2006, 11:18 AM
went to the local range last weekend and lo I found somthing I never thought I would see left on the ground...

next to the normal fodder of 243 and 30-30 was 10 pieces of 22 Hornet brass and about 15 pcs of 45-70...the 30-30 I grab anyway due to it being used for my 7-30, 30-30 and now my 25-35...but there was a great swishing sound as the hornet and govt brass made its way to my can. :)

I normally don't have any shame when it comes to sifting for brass on the ground...I also have good luck asking others that if they don't reload can I possibly have their brass? :D

No shame in this kids game, I tell ya...

D

dave5339
December 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
Smokey Joe,

Will probably just end up trashing the steel case stuff, unless the local recycler will take it when we drop off the scrap brass and the aluminum.

Semper Fi

Hiaboo
December 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
I do this.. I go to an private range, with my Uncle. Even before we begin to unload the stuff, we go right out to the benches and look around for anything we can use, trash cans are not excluded. They are just 50 gal drums with drains on the bottom, so its usually dry. Also all of the benches have an roof, this contributes to keeping things nice and clean. I have no adversion about jumping in a can just to pick up some brass.. I enjoy it in fact.

MaterDei
December 1, 2006, 08:39 PM
You know you have it real bad when you go to the range just to mine the brass....

That would be me. :o

I shoot on my own property in one of my fields and lose quite a bit of my brass in the tall grass. I go to the range to 'look at the guns they have for sale', then I go out to the range and during a cease fire strike up a conversation with somebody friendly looking so it looks like I belong and then when the range goes hot again I become a brass buzzard. :D

emitt1
December 1, 2006, 09:17 PM
This coming week I'm headed to our area gun club in order to hand them a nice check for a yearly membership - just to mine brass. 'course, I'll do a tad bit of shooting, but - all that brass, just waiting....

Luggernut
December 3, 2006, 10:28 PM
Recently I'm finding myself depressed when there is nothing at the range when I get there.... :uhoh:

db_tanker
December 4, 2006, 07:32 AM
Well, this time of year is the best time...everyone out making sure their rifles are zero'd and such...just like harvest time back in the old days. :)

Soon it will be the winter months for the scroungers... :uhoh:

I do have to ask...do you grab the really tarnished stuff? I mean the stuff thats almost the same color as the lonley old wolf stuff laying around?

I admit I have...tumble the crap out of it and it comes close to being the same sheen and all. :)

D

roo_ster
December 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi, my name is jfruser and I am a brass scrounger.

I have yet to hit bottom and be seen azz over teakettle in a trash drum, but I have been seen haunting ranges for orphaned brass.

I have accumulated enough .38spl brass to think, "Maybe I ought to buy a S&W M10/15/17/18?" to shoot it in.

qajaq59
December 4, 2006, 01:59 PM
I like it when the guy next to me is shooting my caliber and doesn't reload. Then I not only can scrounge his once fired brass, but the boxes as well. If you're going to be Greedy then you should go all the way. :evil:

db_tanker
December 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
I have been guilty of that as well...

ESPECIALLY the 44 mag and 357 Mag shooters... :D

D

Alvin in AZ
December 4, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hi jfruser, my name is alvin and I am a brass scrounger... :/

Luggernut (OP), if you are picking up rubbish and ain't happy, then you ain't doin it right! :/

Maybe if we go over your methods in detail we can get you straightened out. ;)

Alvin in AZ

scout26
December 4, 2006, 07:02 PM
I have yet to hit bottom and be seen azz over teakettle in a trash drum,

My preferred method is to just dump the trash barrel over and sit on the ground and sort the shotgun hulls. We leave the barrel laying on it's side as it's easier to chuck the "bad" hulls back in and barrel and put the good ones in the mesh laundry bag(s) that I got at the dollar store. Not sure how well this method would go over at an indoor range, YMMV. Plus, we then use the hull picker to "vacuum" the trap and skeet fields, this of course is near at the end of the day when no one else is shooting and we're the only ones there. (Safety First !!!) As long as everything gets picked back up, the RSO's don't mind. When we leave, there are no hulls left on the fields.

The kids also like to scrounge the unbroken clay pigeons. I haven't bought a box of clay birds in years and probably have 10-12 boxes of various sizes (Mini, Midi's and Rabbits) out the garage that we use the hand throwers.

There's roughly a box+ of White Flyers thawing/defrosting in the laundry/slop sink that we picked up out the snow yesterday.

Should I even mention that I also recycle wads ????

If I/someone ever comes up with a way to reuse powder or primers............:neener: :evil:

Scout26 - *I Put the the "Cheap" in Cheap SOB.*

One of the RSO's and I where talking about reloading (well *my* reloading as he found tried it several years ago and found it boring.) I explained that we just come out here to have fun. I'm not competing in matches or shooting for cash/other prizes. It's me and kids (and Mrs Scout on occasion) making guns go bang while we get some fresh air and sunshine. It's more like "plinking with a shotgun" then "serious" shooting. Not that we're not strict about safety. In addition to regular Trap and Skeet, we do play games like "Which House, ?? (with or without a Delay)", "Single or Doubles ?", "What Size Bird(s) ?", "Chips" and any thing else we can think up to break clays.

So I can't see paying $4-10 per box of shells when I can reload for $2-3 per box (at least until I have to buy more shot, and then I'm sure ammo prices will have gone up also.) Plus our loads are tailored to us, not "You'll get what load Remington/Winchester/Federal is pushing this week and like it."

orfeo
December 6, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi, my name is Orfeo and I'm a brassoholic. . .

I've got no sense of shame whatsoever when it comes to picking up brass. I've spent many hours on my hands and knees gathering brass, and many hours looking through the range garbage cans looking for discarded cardboard Remington ammo boxes with the nice plastic bullet trays in them. All my reloaded ammo goes into those free boxes. Now, I am just starting to get into selling brass for scrap to help support my addiction! :)

Alvin in AZ
December 6, 2006, 04:33 PM
Luggernut take note, Orfeo is doing it right! ;)

No where I shoot has trash cans. All are wildcat shooting ranges that usually involves a dirt tank's dam.

Remington boxes and trays... since they don't leave 30-30 boxes laying around I've went to using a dremel and a pocket knife and cutting out the Remington 223 trays to fit 30-30 loads. :)

Selling brass... been doing that and was upset I didn't know enough reloaders locally to give brass to. Was telling a non-40S&W-reloader "if I could just meet a guy that reloads 40S&W I could set 'im up real nice :)".

So I met one finally and told him to get his sorry butt on "the high road dot org" but hadn't ran across him yet... Mr White? Calling Mr White?

Alvin in AZ

callgood
December 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
I'm a brass whore, and proud of it. Whazzittoyou?

This coming week I'm headed to our area gun club in order to hand them a nice check for a yearly membership - just to mine brass. 'course, I'll do a tad bit of shooting, but - all that brass, just waiting....

One of the ranges I use is quite reasonable- 7 bucks for a day, 100 per year. I've generally gone the day route. This year that goes to 10 per day, 100 per year. I'm going annual. If I can't break even on that deal I should be exiled. Next month I'm going to a shoot. Last one I went to a guy gave me 400 .223 cases- about 1/2 the match fee worth of brass. And I wasn't even TRYING to "solicit." This time they better have the brass can nailed down.;)

scout26
December 6, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hmmmm.......mining brass to sell for scrap.......another way to fund our shooting addicition. At my club everyone just sweeps it off the concrete into the gravel.

I think we'll just endear ourselves to the RSO's a little more by sweeping up not just the trap and skeet fields but also the rifle/pistol range for them at the end of the day.

"Hey Kids !!! Dad just thought up a new game !!!!! It's called "Fill the 5 gallon buckets with brass." :D :evil: :scrutiny:

Arkie
December 6, 2006, 07:02 PM
I've also picked up my share of brass at the range.

Some people don't mind you picking up brass if you ask but they do give you a pretty mean stare when you put on gloves and wait for them to shoot to try to grab the brass in the air before it hits the ground. :neener:

Luggernut
December 6, 2006, 11:25 PM
I was fortunate to get the S&W's Shooting Sports center in Springfield, MA today. It was a great facility and I decided to test fire a new M&P .40 pistol. Great gun... however.. .when I went into the range and saw all that nice shiny brass (hundreds of rounds) all over the floor and there wasn't anything I could do to get it- I was depressed. I'm pathetic.

KHawk
December 7, 2006, 12:03 AM
"The worst part is I pick up brass in calibers that I don't own guns in."

This is why I came home last Friday with a new SA 1911A1. Had so much 45ACP from the club range I had to have something to shoot it from.

IDriveB5
December 8, 2006, 12:47 AM
You can even make friends being a brass buzzard...

was shooting some .38 loads up at the range and three young guys about my age came in, one with a brand new XD45 and 400 rounds to shoot through it. Went home with a couple new people to shoot with and 394 .45ACP cases... :D I wonder where those six rounds got off to?

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 10:03 AM
Some friends they were. Don't you see? They pocketed those 6 cases so you wouldn't have a full set. Because they knew it would drive you nuts as to their where abouts. Your friends are sadistic to say the least.:evil:

emitt1
December 8, 2006, 10:18 AM
So, this past Monday I do indeed join Florida's largest and oldest gun club (Gateway), fill out the forms, hand over the cash all the while jumping up and down to get out and burn some powder and pick brass. The time arrives, head out to the 200 yd rifle range and first thing I do is check the trash cans for boxes and brass......find out they dump the cans each Sunday after their busy weekend shooters have left...
Later, I hit the 15 yd pistol range, same story, but under the bench, in the sand, are hundreds if not thousands of rounds of .40 and .45. Picked a bag full. Time to leave, get distracted, drive home.....leave bag full of brass sitting on bench.

Cry.

Dr. Dickie
December 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
emitt1,
If you want a TON of .40 S&W, you have to go to the back bays. Past the 200 yard rifle range, next to the trap and skeet range.
They clean up on Fridays, but even so, there is always a lot of .40 S&W around.
A word of caution, all the .45 brass is mine:neener:

Declaration Day
December 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
Here's a bunch of .30-06 I picked out of the brass buckets at my local DNR range. All in one trip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/NorthwestLawn/Ammo.jpg

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2006, 11:07 AM
I AM JEALOUS!!!:fire:

emitt1
December 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Dr. Dickie - I'll use your suggestion on the brass picking. Hopefully, we'll meet out at the club, if you shoot Mondays, my only day since I'm self-employed.

But, I'll sneak as many of your .45's as possible...

emitt

Dr. Dickie
December 9, 2006, 05:28 AM
Nope, I am out there every Friday afternoon (switching each week between rifle and pistol). I have a friend that is out there every Monday (he is self-employed as well). Just grab ALL the .40 S&W you can get. Makes it easier for me to find the .45 ACP

emitt1
December 9, 2006, 08:24 AM
Doc, You've got a deal. Take care.

farscott
December 15, 2006, 08:26 AM
I must be a brass scrounger as well as I just bought a Dillon XL 650 and accessories from a co-worker that I really did not need because it came with lots of five-gallon buckets of 9x19, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP brass. I justified the purchase to my wife on the grounds that the reloader itself was worth more than the asking price, but the brass was the real attraction.

Walkalong
December 15, 2006, 08:37 AM
Been scrounging for 40+ years. Not just brasss and lead bullets. I embarressed my wife many years ago when I screeched to a halt in the car, got out, and grabbed some stuff from the side of the road.:)

PsychoKnight
December 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
Stupid me. I actually replaced all my autopistols for revolvers just to avoid having to pick up brass.

Wheel guns just weren't as fun.

I've switched back to pistols now, and have reverted back to executing skill-intensive terrainial residual-component retrieval missions.

Of the revolvers, should'a kept my scoped 44 single-action w/ 11" barrel, able to put 5 into a single ragged hole at 25y on a rest, but only w/ my handloads. Those were good times. :banghead:

scout26
December 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
I've switched back to pistols now, and have reverted back to executing skill-intensive terrainial residual-component retrieval missions.

Yes, but you're not a REAL scrounger until you can fearlessly perform it (as in front of both people whom know and love you and people you've never met) cranially inverted while in a temporary disposal facility (of both nominal and industrial dimensions.) ;)

Alvin in AZ
December 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
LOL Psycho... I know what you mean, but sureas heck couldn't say it that way even if I had too, since I don't know a few of those words. :/

Here's my version from AriDzona...

"Uhh... it's kinda like huntin easter eggs? :)"

Alvin in AZ
ps- Today, $27.50 from empty brass, shot up stainless steel sheet, aluminum cans (what is it about shooting and BudLight?) and copper wire from shot-up monitors... it paid for gas to go to town and bought lunch. Children say "Thank you mess-leavin' shooters" :)

MCgunner
December 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
Wait 'til you start mining the lead out of the backstop. :D

Shaughn Leayme
December 15, 2006, 11:28 PM
Yes, brass scroungers of the world unite:neener:

I am the one you all hate to see, I made a brass catcher out of some 8 foot rebar with a 2' bend at the top and attached some clips to it and hang a light wool saddle blanket on it and since it has a fold on the ground the brass hit's it and falls into a nice neat pile to be recovered and I have not lost a casing, since.

I was at a range where a couple Swat agencies were doing some training and I came home with 6 thousand 9mm, 1000 308 Federal GM Match brass and a few hundred 45 acp, of course this was over the course of a week and I did have to beat off several other feral scroungers, but the FGM brass was worth it.

MikeWSC
December 15, 2006, 11:29 PM
Ahhhhhh! Its so nice to see that I belong to the "club" of BRASS RATS!!!

My shooting club has a "deer rifle sight-in" for 8 days prior to season opener,
which is open to the public. Many fine customers are happy to give the club
members who help, their brass, which we divide among us. :)

A couple years back someone left half a box of .300 Win Mag, which was given to me.
They sat for a while in the ammo cabinet.. all alone... until they
were joined by a 700 Remington Sendaro. Of course had to top her with a
new Cabela's 3-12 Outfitter scope and fed her some tasty 165g Hornady SST's.
Result ... a nice Whitetail doe taken at 210 yards.:D :D
My son took one at 140 yards the following year.:D :D

On a sad note, last years sight-in brought a young man with a Weatherby
chambered for the 338-378 Mag. He was having trouble getting a decent
group so I went out to give him a hand. It shot nice groups at 100 & 200 yards
for me, he was just a bit afraid of the recoil. He ended up shooting
some nice groups. When I dicussed reloading with him, he told me he had
already shot up 3 boxes at a state range and... and... :eek: he threw the
brass away! When I looked up the price to show him what he could save by reloading, I nearly cried.

Reload and shoot more often... reload and have fun!!!

Sheldon
December 17, 2006, 11:28 AM
I scored about a thousand rounds of Lake City 5.56 the other day along with a couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP. Local SWAT team was doing some training and I was like a buzzard waiting for dying game to drop and swoop in for the easy jackjpot!! You gotta love the police and the casual shooters who leave new brass for us reloaders.:D

Luggernut
December 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
Lucky you... I think I have competition at my range lately! I've seen lots of empty boxes and no cases lately. I think the guy cleaning up is swooping in before I get there! Damn him!

Smokey Joe
December 18, 2006, 01:21 PM
Have discovered that there is such a thing as picking up the WRONG brass! A while back I scored 35 nice, brass, Boxer-primed, 7.62x39 cases. Took 'em home rejoicing, because, as anyone who loads for the SKS knows, that weapon is notorious for flinging its brass hither and yon, and beating it to death in the process. You ALWAYS need more brass.

So, yesterday, I was preparing to load up a batch of SKS ammo (#1 Son is coming home for Christmas--we will SHOOT!) and on examining these new SKS cases, discovered that half were Remington and half were some strange military headstamp, and ALL took the gol-durn small rifle primers, instead of the Lg. rifle primers like all the other, sensible, SKS cases take. :mad: Oh, Goatfeathers!!! :mad:

Threw all of 'em into my scrap brass bucket.

Proceeded to load up a nice batch of SKS ammo in Win and Fed cases, with a couple of Lapua pickups just for good measure.

Now I feel better.

scout26
December 18, 2006, 05:24 PM
(#1 Son is coming home for Christmas--we will SHOOT!)

Hey Smokey Joe, will/has he been give him a fair warning or you just gonna ambush 'im as he comes up the drive ????? :what: :neener: :p :uhoh:

I'm glad my dad still likes me........

Smokey Joe
December 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
Scout 26--Good one! #1 Son ASKED to go shooting while he is home, so he knows precisely what he is in for--He works in Boston MA and doesn't much get a chance there--and, he wants to bring a friend who hasn't shot. :) So we will go to my club range and puncture some innocent paper--AKA turning perfectly good money into smoke and noise. I dearly look forward to it. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Damn, now I'm rubbish picking and I'm not happy." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!