Olympic Match Pistols

PDA

kannonfyre
November 22, 2006, 05:50 AM
Can olympic sporting pistols for ISSF competitions serve as good home defense/self defense guns?

An example is shown in the link below:

http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/sport/sport-22.html

If the .32 S&W long version is choosen, could the greater inherent accuracy of the pistol compensate for the limited magazine capacity and the less than satisfactory terminal ballistics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Olympic Match Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
November 22, 2006, 08:31 AM
In my opinion no. I used to shoot a .32 for the centerfire portion of Bullseye, yes they are more accurate than a typical pistol, but no you won't notice it in a self defense situation, what you will notice is you are shooting .32 cal wadcutters at very slow speed.

If you want to test that go shoot one in an IDPA scenario and see how you do, you really just need a pistol that you can keep all the rounds in a reasonable group at speed.

It's better than nothing, but I wouldn't go buy one just for self defense. They are generally big, heavy and designed to hold at arms length with one hand, pretty much everything you don't want to do. And the sights are great for precision shooting, not so much for fast shooting in the dark.

LeonCarr
November 22, 2006, 10:33 AM
There was a story a while back in The Armed Citizen column of American Rifleman about a man on his way home from the range and he witnessed another man being attacked by a large Pit Bull. The first guy pulls out a .22 match pistol (I believe the article mentioned it was a Walther), fired one shot, and killed the dog. Yes, they will work for self defense, but there are better choices for a dedicated protection gun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

If you enjoyed reading about "Olympic Match Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!