Can a Resident Alien Purchase a Firearm?

PDA

spelsh
November 22, 2006, 09:16 AM
as stated in the post title, or do you have to be a citizen?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can a Resident Alien Purchase a Firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The_Shootist
November 22, 2006, 09:26 AM
When I was a Canadian citizen with my green card I bought several before I later got my US citizenship. No problem.

HOWEVER - I think it may be at the discretion of the local authorities. I was picking up my first handgun in Texas City and the gunshop ower was in a testy mood.

It seems a Doctor at the University of Texas Medical Branch had been denied a handgun purchase as he was a Saudi national. He had HIS greencard and everything, but had been refused. This was SEVERAL years before 9/11.

Anybody wanna guess what it might be like now? :evil:

armedpolak
November 22, 2006, 09:34 AM
yes, you can.
you need to provide your alien number, show green card, state issued document, like DL to verify your residency. also, you need to reside in the state for 90 days (can't leave for even a second), and need to supply bills etc, to show your address and time of residency.

no discretion.

MikeH
November 22, 2006, 11:55 AM
Some states may require non-citizens to jump through additional hoops. For example, in Washington a non-citizen has to obtain an Alien Firearms License.

It is still best to check with local authorities before proceeding.

Keith Wheeler
November 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
Resident aliens may purchase title I firearms, but title II is out. Also some states (like Arkansas) require you be a citizen to get a concealed carry permit.

Sean Dempsey
November 22, 2006, 12:15 PM
Should illegial aliens be able to purchase firearms as well?

Ed Ames
November 22, 2006, 12:24 PM
yes

UKTN
November 22, 2006, 12:49 PM
I am a LEGAL alien and have purchased firearms you just have to show your "green card" drivers license and utility bills showing 90 days residency in the state you live in. The utility bills are a new thing since 9-11 I didn't have to show them before.

Hoppy590
November 22, 2006, 01:17 PM
well, seems the resounding answer is yes!
check with local authoritys, talk to the guy in the gunshop in advance so he is informed as to whats going on. and welcome to america if your a new alien, and welcome to the 2nd A either way!

Limeyfellow
November 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
In North Carolina we just have to fill in another federal form with the A number on and a few other things to say we are legal and allowed to buy them. Its fairly easy to do.

MD_Willington
November 22, 2006, 03:20 PM
One more time:

You betcha :cool:

I have my AFL & my CPL... even with the CPL I still have a wait of 2 days on pistols instead of the standard 5 (IIRC)...

Reminds me, time to get the paperwork together for 2007... my AFL is up at the end of the year..

!Jump!

Yes sir, how high?

--> Should have moved to Idaho ;)

MatthewVanitas
November 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'm unclear on one thing: do Student Visas count, or do they have to be a permanent Resident Alien?

We get this question a lot from Indians and Brits at the UT campus range, and I'm not quite sure what to tell them.

-MV

Limeyfellow
November 22, 2006, 05:08 PM
I'm unclear on one thing: do Student Visas count, or do they have to be a permanent Resident Alien?

No they can't, Nor can foreign investors, those on a tourist visa (though they can apply for a temporary permit that allows you to rent a firearm or bring your own in for hunting and competitions etc), business or missionary work. They are not classed as permanent residents and have to leave after their student visa runs out so don't qualify.

real_name
November 22, 2006, 05:33 PM
Here in TN legal resident aliens (previously known as green card holders) can both purchase guns and obtain carry permits.
My wife actually drafted the wording for the latter and lobbied it into law. The legislature here were previously under the misguided assumption that even though resident aliens were permitted to pay the same taxes as citizens they weren't due the right to protect themselves and practice personal responsibility.

MatthewVanitas
November 22, 2006, 05:37 PM
Okay, that clarifies the student thing.

On the issue of non-citizens in general, it is worth reiterating:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

At least in concept, Constitutional rights are general human rights which should, ideally, be applied to the entire world.

-MV

MikeH
November 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
ATF has a FAQ section that talks about non-immigrants and firearms:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r

CleverNickname
November 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
Resident aliens may purchase title I firearms, but title II is out.

Wrong. There's no difference. The BATF requires that a form 1 or form 4 transfer to a non-licensee be accompanied with a Certificate of Compliance form (http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf). 18 USC 922(g)(5) prohibits illegal and non-resident aliens from possessing both title I and title II firearms (with a few exceptions), but there's nothing that prevents a resident alien from possessing a title II firearm as long as they comply with all other applicable laws just like anyone else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can a Resident Alien Purchase a Firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!