Black Coyote

PDA

keano44
November 22, 2006, 01:45 PM
Last Sunday morning, I shot a black coyote while deer hunting. It was a male, and weighed 55#. I'd heard there had been sightings of black coyote's in the area, but had never seen one before. It was very healthy looking, beautiful coat and tail. Question for the coyote hunters and trappers out there:How rare is a black coyote? I'm thinking of getting it mounted, or at least get the hide tanned into a rug.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Polishrifleman
November 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but can say I saw a black one this past Deer season here in Washington too. I chose not to take it because it was 7am in the morning and thought it would be good running around scaring up some deer (it didn't work:banghead: but I had a good time anyway).

keano44
November 22, 2006, 03:19 PM
Three weeks ago, for Halloween weekend, I took my 11 yr. old nephew to my hunting lease for the youth hunt. He had killed his first deer, a doe, on this same hunt last year when he was ten, hunting from my box stand, with my .308 rifle using managed recoil Remington ammo. This year, same stand, rifle, and ammo, he shot a small six point buck, in the last few minutes of daylight, at 200 yards. The buck dropped on the spot. Silas, my nephew, and his father, my brother-in-law, who was hunting with him watched it for a minute or so, and began celebrating, cheering, "high-fiving", etc. When they climbed out of the stand to go take a closer look, the deer was gone. Neither of them had seen which way it went. A little while later, I came to help find the deer. We found evidence of a stomach or gut shot where the deer had fallen. After looking for an hour, myself and my hunting partner, another experienced deer hunter (30 yrs.), and finding no blood trail, we decided to leave the deer so as not to spook it up, let it have time to die, and we would come back and find it first thing in the morning. Our theory of not spooking the deer, giving it time to die without jumping it up and losing it paid off. It hadn't gone 100 yds. We found it the next morning, after some looking. But, coyotes had found it first. We were not able to save any meat, but were able to manage to get a few pictures as the head, neck, and one shoulder were left untouched. The hide of the deer on the side that was against the ground was OK, but the exposed side was gone.
This past Sunday morning, I killed a coyote at the hunting lease, possibly one of the culprits.

hps1
November 22, 2006, 04:30 PM
Question for the coyote hunters and trappers out there:How rare is a black coyote? I'm thinking of getting it mounted, or at least get the hide tanned into a rug.

I have shot quite a few coyotes in the past couple of years (missed a couple, too :uhoh:)) and have never seen a black one. Should I be forutnate enough to shoot a nice one like yours, I would certainly have it mounted.

Regards,
hps

MCgunner
November 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
Four or five years ago I shot a black coyote along with a normal colored one at my place out of my stand. I don't know how rare they are, didn't think much about it at the time. I'd never seen one before. I thought it might be a crossed up feral dog hybrid or something. I didn't have a camera and didn't recover it anyway. The normal coyote I shot about 25 yards out of my stand. The black one darted off in the grass and brush. Then, I saw him running across the pasture from the fence on the big ranch that my land borders. He stopped about 300 yards out and looked back and I put a .308 into him. He fell right there. I didn't cross the fence onto the ranch to drag him back. I took the other one and ty wrapped it to the fence so the fence riders would see it. Ranchers like to have coyotes shot. I figured they might appreciate the favor. Ain't like I made any dent in the coyote population around there, of course. LOL

It's likely a color variation, genetic, but again, I have no idea how rare it is.

keano44
November 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
It did have a small white patch on the throat/chest. You can see it in the first picture I posted. It may be a cross with a dog. Coydog?

Bob R
November 22, 2006, 06:06 PM
You don't see a lot of black 'yotes. The last tanned pelt I saw of a black 'yote was being sold for about 400 dollars. Of course, this was a tourist trap, so that may have influenced the price a little.

It sure was a pretty mount pelt though.

bob

MCgunner
November 22, 2006, 07:05 PM
Doggyote?:D

dfaugh
November 23, 2006, 09:52 AM
It did have a small white patch on the throat/chest. You can see it in the first picture I posted. It may be a cross with a dog. Coydog?

Quite possible. Normally coyotes come in a variety of colors from almost beige to black, with most being in middle ("sable" brown), but vitrually no white anywhere. But white chest/neck is a common color variation, in several breeds of dogs (GSDs, Huskies, etc.). And black is also found, although not real common, in these breeds.

LMC
December 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
keano44, do you know of any hunting leases down here that are taking new members.

thanks

eastwood44mag
December 3, 2006, 10:36 PM
I can't tell you what to do with your money, but it's strange looking enough that I'd have something done with it.

It looked so small in the picture....until I noticed the rifle for comparison.

keano44
December 5, 2006, 06:21 PM
This may be a better photo-to get an idea of the actual size of it.

Roadkill
December 8, 2006, 08:21 AM
I've seen several and shot three. The oldest was a coydog male that I wacked in a nearby cove. He was more dog than coyote. Had a wide head and jaws. The other two were smoky black with more coyote traits. I've seen them tan, light grey, light brown, dark brown, and every color in between.

Art Eatman
December 8, 2006, 04:34 PM
55 pounds? I think coydog. That's some 15 pounds above what I'd expect from a southern coyote.

Pretty hide; good rug.

:), Art

langenc
December 8, 2006, 04:57 PM
Coyote can vary considerable in color. Red to grey-black and the light ones of course. From a trappers prospective the lighter the better. Dark ones have value to someone who wants to hang one the wall/den.

Idano
December 8, 2006, 05:03 PM
keano44 I did a little research and found this excerpt from the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management website:

http://icwdm.org/images/coyote/blackcoyote.gif

Coyote-rare color
Description: This black coyote is very rare as are albinos. But color commonly ranges across gray-brown-red.
Photo Credits: Edward D. Kellems

N.Y.S. D.E.C. game commission officer Robert Doe confirmed that this was indeed a new New York state record coyote. Its official weight was 115 pounds, it is a very large male and was shot this (2005-6 in February '06)) regular deer season just out side the town of Hilton. (Hilton is just West of Rochester in Northern Monroe County) It has been spotted on several different occasions chasing deer & livestock, dogs, and cats.

I have never seen a black or albino coyote and I certainly have not seen any coyote close to 100 lbs.:scrutiny:

Cindog
December 12, 2006, 05:18 PM
Not sure how rare they are but I got pictures of two different black coyotes on my game cams this fall and my cousin got a picture of a black coyote as well. I am guessing his picture, the first picture posted, is of the same coyote in my pictures from earlier in the season given the white mark on his chest.

Gewehr98
December 12, 2006, 06:20 PM
It doesn't look too much different than my own 55-pound dog, truthfully. That's kind of unnerving, I'll have to keep her on leash when we're doing our walks in the woods these days!

http://mauser98.com/quinnpoised.jpg

dogrunner
December 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
Saw a totally black one in the Ocala National Forest, Fl. last deer season. Roughtly a quarter mile South of the Naval Bombing range....Quite a large animal, nearly the size of a small German shepard. Also, had a friend that had his Beagle attacked by a Coyote in the same area. It does seem that the ones in Fla. tend to run somewhat darker. I've seen 'em in Ariz & Mex & they were a sort of tan color. Every one I've seen in Fla. has been quite dark.

wolfan
April 16, 2008, 02:44 PM
Actually, black wolves were once VERY common in Pennsylvania. They thought they had killed them all off, but perhaps these large coyotes have some of that blood in them. There have been coyotes found in NJ, CT and MA all with wolf DNA. However, the DNA is closer to the wolves that once inhabited the territory. Just some thought on the subject!

glocker82
April 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
Dude that wasn't a coyote...you shot my dog!

ronwill
April 16, 2008, 03:22 PM
Looks like a coydog to me. I've shot a few of those when I worked on the families ranch as a teenager.

G17Steve
April 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
LOL did it have a colar on it ? Thats usually a bad sign.

Ive herd of black yotes and seen some videos of them on youtube but Ive never seen one here in FL.

eliphalet
April 16, 2008, 06:07 PM
Seen hundreds of coyotes in the West, never saw a black one yet. My guess is it is a mix.

Triple S
April 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
There are areas with strains of black coyotes all over the US. For some reason, the black phase is very common in the area we hunt in SC. However, after hunting all my life in FL/TX/& GA I have not seen one there. I think it all depends on when and where you have that particular color trait introduced in nature.

Dksimon
April 18, 2008, 02:36 AM
Most of the coyotes were I hunt have Mange so its a rarity to find one with a full coat of any color

kmrcstintn
April 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
It doesn't look too much different than my own 55-pound dog, truthfully. That's kind of unnerving, I'll have to keep her on leash when we're doing our walks in the woods these days!

you might want to buy a dog vest or have one made that has blaze orange panels sewn in; if your doggy ever got loose, it might help prevent an accidental killing due to a misidentification by a hunter or a property owner who has coydog problems

Girodin
April 27, 2008, 02:12 AM
A blaze orange collar would be a good idea as well since he will likely always be wearing his collar. They can typicaly be found at petsmart or any of the various hunting supply stores.

I used to worry about my buckskin gelding during deer season with so of the yahoos who are out in the woods with rifles.

steverjo
April 27, 2008, 02:39 AM
I just hope it wasnt someone's pet. My dog looks very much like a normal coyote. People have mistaken my dog for coyote. Luckily, no one has shot it yet.

keano44
April 27, 2008, 09:01 AM
Relax fellas, it was not a pet; no collar LOL. The cattle rancher who is on the property daily had been telling us of seeing black coyotes for years.

jimmyraythomason
April 27, 2008, 09:25 AM
I trapped a beautiful black coyote in the late 1980s. it was jet black with white guard hairs which gave it a silver appearance. The fur buyer gave $75.00 for it (normal yotes were only bringing $12.50 at the time).

hpg
April 27, 2008, 07:39 PM
Black coats do occur in coyotes.............hpg

DKA
April 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
We have quiet a few here that are Black. It is not rare at all to see a Black one. Don't know where any of the rascals came from in the first place.

rangerruck
April 28, 2008, 04:36 AM
black yotes overall, are quite rare, you might wanna see about someone who buys skins; that looks very nice, and you can get pretty good money for intact, non manged coyote skins right now.

Atla
April 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
There was an article in Outdoor Life last fall I believe that mentioned how Coyotes were inter-breeding with WOLVES a lot more than dogs. (Through DNA testing).

Evidently the Wolf DNA was WAY more than any dog DNA they found.

koja48
April 29, 2008, 10:25 PM
In all my years of yote hunting in several states, I haven't seen one, but there is a space on my wall for a rug . . . .

Bubbles8505
June 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
I wish I'd have gotten a picture of it, but I saw a pure black coyote on my property here in central GA, I thought it was a dog till I pulled out the binoculars and got a good look at it. I've seen a lot of coyotes here, but this is the first black one I've ever seen.

coonass
November 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.browning.com/library/trophycase/item.asp?id=1097 i shot this black coyote deer hunting in Port Gibson, mississippi in dec. 2007. i'm having him mounted.. We have a bunch of yotes on our lease and have seen at least one more black one running around.

Loomis
November 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
Me thinks black coyotes must have some dog blood in them.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 16, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'll have to keep her on leash when we're doing our walks in the woods these days!

My black dog (looks like an aussie cattle dog) wear a bright hunter orange collar year round when at the huntin grounds. *During hunting season*, she also wears an orange vest made of light nylon material (Remington brand). Maybe I could breed her with a 'yote and find a sucker that will pay $400 each for the pelts of their offspring. J/K, that's twisted. :) Point is, I don't find it exciting/unusual to have some dogs mating with coyotes, and producing a hybrid, not a "special" coyote.

gallo
November 19, 2008, 01:56 AM
There may be a black coyote species, but that one you hunted looks too much like a dog.

salthouse
November 19, 2008, 08:30 AM
Definitely, no doubt, el chupacabra.

MAGNUM44
November 28, 2008, 04:57 AM
gLOCKERS YOU STOLE MY LINE HA HA

moosehunt
November 29, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've shot a lot of coyotes and seen untold numbers more, and what you shot is NOT a coyote--at least not a purebred. I'd bet the farm on it, and I'm not a betting man. It has a lot of dog in it. It is quite evident in the face, especially the muzzle, also the legs to a lesser degree. There may be black coyotes, though I've never seen one, but you didn't shoot one. Coydogs are much worse than coyotes, so it's a damn good thing you shot it!

MutinousDoug
November 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
Here on the Colorado prairie they are much darker gray/brown than those up in the mountains where I've seen some almost white, unless you get a chance to look at them closely. No black ones down here though, and none as fat as yours look.

bellalove
September 30, 2010, 09:23 PM
i was walking in the nature center yesterday me and my twin sister we were running from a friend and we
were runing we know the woods by the back of our hand and we got out and was walkin along the side of the woods running and we turned down a really cool trail
we saw a black
coyote and it started running we weren't scared but our friend says there is no such thing as a
black coyote and we want to
know
if there is or not plez tell us THANX :confused:

bellalove
September 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
we was walking in the nature center yesterday me and my twin sister we were running from a friend and we
were runing we know the woods by the back of our hand and we got out and was walkin along the side of the woods running and we turned down a really cool trail
we saw a black
coyote and it started running we weren't scared but our friend says there is no such thing as a
know
if there is or not plez tell us THANX

wankerjake
September 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
but our friend says there is no such thing as a
know
if there is or not plez tell us THANX
Um...there's a picture of one in the original post! Yes they exist, and are semi-rare. Some parts of the country have more than others. I've never heard of one in AZ for instance, but back east people shoot them every year.

Ike R
September 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
Seen 3 in a huge pack, and I mean HUGE pack about 6 months ago on the Air Liquide right of way behind the Stiles Prison Unit in Port Aurthur, Texas.s That area is public dove hunting land back there and is pretty off the track, you can see the prison in the distance if you look pretty far down the canal paralleling the road, but for the most part there are no houses around for about a mile in any direction.

I was sleeping in the passenger seat of my brothers welding rig @ about 5:30 am, he turned a corner and yelped so loud it woke me up. There where at least 20 yotes in that pack standing in the middle of the dirt road there. He turned on his q beam and hit them and thats when we noticed the black ones, didn't see any white on them, but they where bigger than the others. One darted off into the ditch line and lay down and when we finally moved on I looked down on him from about 6 feet away.

Really cool, normally we would have shot them with our pistols, but that close to the prison and OTW to work, we decided to stay reasonable.

Roughneck08
October 1, 2010, 01:58 AM
Ususally coydog from my experience. Sometimes coyotes breed with domesticated dog. So you got the wildness of a coyote and they ain't scared of ya! Bad mix. I have seen a few while driving along FM highways out where I live and work when I couldn't shoot.

Flintknapper
October 1, 2010, 09:51 AM
Melanism in coyotes is nothing new. Many studies have been done.... conclusively proving there exists melanistic coyotes (and also hybrids).

Whether or not the one posted is a genetically pure Coyote or a hybrid (coydog) can not be proven by a photo alone, but they occur in my part of the state (Deep East Texas) infrequently.

Typically, they will be found in certain regions....but can occur anywhere.

Yes, they are rare, but not extremely so.

Another (melanistic phase) animal that IS fairly common where I live is the Fox Squirrel. Most folks would call you delusional if you told them you saw a black Fox Squirrel, but they are not a novelty at all around here.

From what I can tell of the photo....the animal pictured possesses characteristics consistent with the many, many, many....Coyotes I have killed or observed.

Interesting pic, thanks for sharing it.

Flint.

jimmyraythomason
October 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
I trapped one back in the mid '80s that was very black with white guard hairs giving it the color of a silver fox. I haven't seen one since(though I stopped trapping shortly after that).

jimmyraythomason
October 1, 2010, 11:22 AM
Most folks would call you delusional if you told them you saw a black Fox Squirrel, but they are not a novelty at all around here.
Yep,I've seen one of those too but only one. Even red fox squirrels are not common in my neck of the woods.

Venado
October 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
There is a black phase of the red wolf, which has been known to interbreed with coyotes. The cross would be larger than a coyote, and have disperportionately long legs and ears. Most of the reports of black coyotes seem to be coming from areas where the red wolf (canis rufus), use to live.

HGUNHNTR
October 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
I have hunted coyotes in Nebraska for about 25 years and have only seen one black coyote. The one he shot was about 55 pounds as well, it is certainly possible you may have shot a hybrid, crossing breeds will result in hybrid vigor--increased growth rates.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Coyote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!