Beaver tail

PDA

pablo45
November 22, 2006, 04:31 PM
Why do so many people like the beaver? I have handled a few 1911's an xd's and i can not see the benefit of this feature. Could some of you help me with this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Beaver tail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DogBonz
November 22, 2006, 05:00 PM
For some people, depending on their hand size, the way that they grip the gun or maybe even the gun its self, you can get hammer bite.

Sry0fcr
November 22, 2006, 05:03 PM
It hasn't been an issue for me but I can see where it could happen. Better afe than sorry.

hkusp
November 22, 2006, 05:28 PM
I like beaver tails because glocks don't have them.
:neener:

mattf7184
November 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
They can.... :neener:

It allows you to grip higher and for some it prevents hammer or slide bite.

I think it is more comfortable as well.

bigsarg99
November 22, 2006, 07:32 PM
Beavertails are great! I have them my 1911's and im glad that S&W decided to put one on their new M&P's!

Cousin Mike
November 22, 2006, 07:44 PM
Go get ahold of a G.I. 1911, and put 500 rounds through it.

Wait a week for the web of your hand to heal.

Then get ahold of one with a beavertail, and put a few rounds through it.

I'm speaking from experience. :D

Walkalong
November 22, 2006, 08:12 PM
I've fired 100's of rounds through a Remington Rand GI .45 and a Colt L:p ightwieght Commander with no hammer bite, but it does plague some people. The beavertails are more comfortable to shoot a lot of rounds through even for people who don't suffer from "hammer bite". At least it is for me.

10-Ring
November 22, 2006, 08:24 PM
I prefer the beavertail because I don't like the hammer bit & I can get a better grip on my 1911's :D

GoRon
November 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
I shoot with my thumb on the safety. This allows me to get back on target quicker for follow up shots.

With my big hands and that type of hold I get hammer bite from my Colt Commander.

It is without question an improvement on the initial design.

Steve C
November 22, 2006, 10:22 PM
I have a Combat Commander and the small tang on the grip safety would dig into the back of my hand under recoil. After a box of shells I'd have a bleading sore so I changed the grip safety ot a beaver tail type. Never had the hammer bite me.

MICHAEL T
November 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
Beaver tails belong on beavers not 1911's Sorry Iam old school don't like full guide rods either. or the front of my slide ground up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beaver tail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!