Taper-crimp 45-70?

PDA

Ray P
November 22, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'd been thinking of getting a separate seating die to go with my Lyman 3-die set when I shift to a turret press. Now that I have the press, I noticed Midway lists a taper crimp die for 45-70 cowboy shooters.

Has anyone had experience with these? Can a taper crimp meant for a blackpowder load handle the recoil from full strength loads? I'm concerned cartridges will disassemble in the tube magazine of my 1894GG.

Maybe I am better off getting a seating die, and just continue to use the roll-crimp die in the set.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taper-crimp 45-70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
November 23, 2006, 12:42 AM
I use the heavy roll crimp in my Marlin. The recoil is stout, and with all that mass in the magazine, my feeling is that the more crimp, the better. I also feel the crimp helps with the ignition of the powder.

Hope this helps.

Fred

SASS#23149
November 23, 2006, 02:05 AM
I'd think that most cowboy shooters use cast bullets with crimp grooves,which take a roll crimp,no?
I would have thought that all of them would use cast with a groove actually,but there is the die so I must be ........

incorrect???!!!!:what: :what:

Ray P
November 23, 2006, 09:16 PM
ReloaderFred: I guess I see it your way. I like having a tight crimp on the case for something in the mag tube. But I also know I'm not getting the most consistant crimp from batch to batch due to repeatability errors in set up.

SASS#23149: I don't believe you are incorrect; I expect most SASS long-range shooters probably do roll-crimp. I don't know if there is an advantage to the taper crimp in distance target shooting 45-70, and I certainly don't know if such a taper crimp can handle recoil. I know factory-crimped ammo does, but...

I guess that's why I asked, hoping someone had experience with that die.

Happy Thanksgiving!

superhornet
November 24, 2006, 09:35 AM
Use the Lee FCD..it is the best..

Jim Watson
November 24, 2006, 09:47 AM
I would use a hard roll crimp for a tube magazine. Or the Lee. It works on my .44-40 and should do ok on .45-70, too.

If for a single shot, the only thing is accuracy. Some shoot better with a crimp, more prefer without. Heck, I don't even knock down the casemouth expansion. It chambers so I leave it there to center the cartridge in the chamber.

Ray P
November 24, 2006, 11:30 AM
Use the Lee FCD..it is the best..

I'm not likely to use it on my 45-70 brass.

I use the Lee FCD for my 7.62x39 as my Mini-30 prefers .308 bullets. The FCD works beautifully for mag-feed in a semi-auto. But the FCD leaves a distinct impression or distortion on the case mouth. I am reluctant to re-use a case after its been through the Lee FCD once, due to the distorted case mouth. So now I have two piles of used 7.62x39; the once-fired, and the once-reloaded.

A year or two back, I bought some supposedly once-fired WW 45-70 cases on E-Bay. All had the same distortion on the case mouth from what appears to be the Lee FCD. They (the cases) went to the re-cycle bin.

In this case, (the 45-70) I'll stick with the roll crimp. I'll pick up a seater die, and separate my seating and crimping functions on the turret.

Thanks, all!

Pumpkinheaver
November 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
Just trim all your brass to the same length, then seat your bullets and crimp in separate operations with your regular seating die. I have never had a bullet jump crimp in my Guidegun and I have used some stout loads in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taper-crimp 45-70?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!