IMR or H4895

PDA

BsChoy
November 22, 2006, 10:00 PM
Is there any real difference in these powders? I am thinking of trying it in 8mm mauser and 30-06. I have had really good luck with IMR 4064 in both but want something that I can go surplus with if I want. Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "IMR or H4895" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
November 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
The Hodgdon powder is a hair slower the IMR brand. Other then that they are very similar, although not interchangable inre data.

BsChoy
November 23, 2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks Ol' Joe, how about with temp sensitivity?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
November 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
BsChoy,

Both of those powders are good. That said, the surplus 4895 is bulk powder and will not be exactly like the cannister powders in characterstics. You'll need to work your loads up with each individual container of bulk powder. That said, once you do that, the surplus stuff generally shoots wonderfully. Great powder for those two calibers.

Regards,

Dave

BsChoy
November 23, 2006, 09:50 AM
I didn't realize that each keg is different. I might as well stay with commercial then. Who really wants to do load workup on a round when they buy a new keg of powder? Not me (although I do love to shoot) I enjoy hitting my mark more than testing.

USSR
November 23, 2006, 02:41 PM
I didn't realize that each keg is different. I might as well stay with commercial then. Who really wants to do load workup on a round when they buy a new keg of powder?

BsChoy,

It's no different than commercial powder; if you buy a cannister of comercial powder with a different lot #, the powder is liable to be a hair slower or faster in burn rate. Varget users have found wild variations in that powder from one lot to another. That's what they make chronographs for.;)

Don

Alvin in AZ
November 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
This thread is getting messed up. :/

H4895 is slightly faster than IMR4895.

H4895 is a canister powder that you can rely on to be consistant "enough".

Surplus powders are the ones you can't count on to be consistant since the loaded ammunition makers modify the amount of powder needed (weight and/or volume) instead of blending powders like is needed for "canister powders".

Alvin in AZ

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
November 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know what the current prices on milsurp powder is, but the last time I checked, it was about half the price of cannister powder. I don't know about you, but that's enough of a savings ($40-50 per eight pound keg) to make it worth my while to work up a load. I just start with the minimum recommended load and load ten rounds at each level I want, then have a nice range session while taking notes on accuracy. I've found it to be fun and I've improved some loads in a couple of rifles this way.

Dave

USSR
November 24, 2006, 06:38 AM
Alvin is correct, H4895 is slightly faster than IMR4895. Now, regarding powder: Powder is made in lots, whether it be commercial powder or a non-cannister grade of military powder. If you buy several containers of powder from the same lot, it will be consistant. If you change over to a container of powder from a different lot, chances are it will be slightly slower or faster in burn rate. Is this dangerous? Not really. All it will do is drive your bullets a little faster or a little slower, and possibly make for a less accurate load. Like I said earlier, use your chronograph to confirm velocities when switching lots of powder.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "IMR or H4895" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!