Help me decide fast lol

PDA

adamsbomb
May 21, 2003, 11:04 PM
Mostly shooting fun at the range just an addition thing. Looking to purchase by tomorrow. Givin the choice of these three which would you choose. I am aware of the poosible negatives of up and down quality of the two, but would be open to hear opinions on all three.

g3 clone

L1a1 fal type

AR15.

To add a little flavor, I would actually prefer not to spend the extra money on the AR unless I really have too. I have a lot of other weapons and some things I could add to them for the extra couple hundred the AR will cost me.:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide fast lol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
May 22, 2003, 12:38 AM
L1A1, I have a blast with mine. A rugged design, accurate as all get out, you can adjust the gas flow so that you don't have to chase after brass (in fact you can open the gas vent all the way and extract the cases by hand). Swap out the rear sight for a target aperature and you can really tighten up groups.It feels more comfortable than a AR to me, larger, a little heavier, and balances better. I'm from the old school and prefer the .308 over the .223.

duckfoot
May 22, 2003, 01:40 PM
L1A1 can be had for under 500 no prob and tapco mags are running 3.99each, but the centry arms L1A1 is a slight craps shoot. While I have heard of lots of happy people with the CA L1A1 I have also been told of a few with problems out of the box. So shake em up and let em fly.

AJ Dual
May 22, 2003, 02:10 PM
IMO, I would go for the G3 or the FAL, both have cheap mags right now and you never know when the parts kits from overseas these are made up of will dry up or be banned from import.

Even with the '94 AWB sunset, the import parts could still be banned.

The AR is all domestic production, so you've got better odds of getting one later any time you like.

adamsbomb
May 22, 2003, 10:52 PM
Passing through Winslow AZ today (joeken firearms), thought I could stop and buy whichever I thought looked to be the best shape but........... surprise mail order only. going to look at the gunshow this saturday so keep your opinions comin

six 4 sure
May 23, 2003, 12:04 AM
Well......

I'd get the FAL based on the price of mags alone. But I already have a M14 and an AR15.

Six

Feanaro
May 23, 2003, 12:11 AM
Never tried the FAL, own none. But I liked the AR-15 bested. The G3 clones, which I assume is CETME, can be nice but they have reliability issues.

adamsbomb
May 23, 2003, 12:36 AM
the cetme is actually the prerunner to the g3, the g3 clone is supposedly made with actual HK parts as opposed to the spanish parts of the cetme. Price is around 470.00 compared to the 290 you can get the cetme for. If this matters.

adamsbomb
May 23, 2003, 01:11 PM
FYI, both the l1a1 and the g3 I am looking at are the ones from Century. I am aware of the crapshoot, but plan on paying the extra to get one local where I can check it myself. I am leaning towards one of these because of being able to get an AR at any time in the future. With regard to the l1, how do you tell the difference between a metric receiver and an inch receiver? Still havin a tough time deciding between the two. Gunshow tomorrow, someone is gonna trade their gun for my money..............

duckfoot
May 23, 2003, 02:56 PM
mag well barrel side

half circle cut in to it metric

big ol' square inch

L1A1 is inch I believe

might want to check out the fal files at:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

Majic
May 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
The L1A1 is a inch pattern gun (Canadian version of the FN-FAL). It also has the sand cutouts on the bolt.

*CORRECTION* The L1A1 is a Commonwealth version of the FN-FAL, not Canadian. L1A1's were built by the British.
My mistake, sorry for the confusion.

Destructo6
May 23, 2003, 06:54 PM
Actually, the CETME is a cousin to the G3, not a father. Heckler, Koch, and Siedel were members of the CETME modelA design team before they left to form HK and develop what would become the G3. Yeah, maybe splitting hairs, but why not?

The Canadian version of the commonwealth (inch) FAL was the C1A1, just like the Canadian M16 is called a C7.

G3 20-rnd mags are currently about the same price as FAL metric mags if you haven't noticed.

If price was a big consideration, as it usually is, and those were my choices, I'd go with the FAL and that in metric configuration. It's just harder to go wrong with a metric FAL.

clown714
May 24, 2003, 07:39 AM
I'd go with the metric FAL.

just my $.02

clown

adamsbomb
May 24, 2003, 08:58 PM
Went to the show today, 50 dollars lighter, still no rifle. Back to the drawing board. Now I am thinking if the current crop of century guns is at the end with the strange rec. Maybe I would be better to get the g3 now while they are in good shape and just purchase a higher grade fal from a private party in a month or so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide fast lol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!