Reload Questions...

PDA

280PLUS
November 23, 2006, 10:07 PM
Well, I've run up about 50 or so now of .45ACP with LSWC and 4.0 gr of Bullseye and I'm finding two things I want to ask about. First, my buddy who helped set me up with the materials told me that COL on these should be 1.260" and I've set my press (450JR) up accordingly. What I'm getting is variations here and there down to 1.255 and maybe an occasional 1.261/1.262 in the other direction. I've tried fiddling with the setting but even still I keep getting these small variations in length. Is this normal? Will it affect my consistency round to round? Is it something I should worry about? The dies and shell plate are new and the press is in excellent shape as far as I can tell.

Second, on my LSWC heads I find a groove filled with a blue paraffin looking substance. On a couple of these now I've found gaps in the blue material leaving a portion of the groove empty. Is THIS something I should be worried about? Again, I'm looking for maximum accuracy / consistency as I intend to use these in various matches against some pretty good shooters. I'm inclined to believe these are rejects for my match rounds but wonder if I can use them for plinking rounds.Will they have any adverse effect on my gun or anything else?

Thanks for any info!

If you enjoyed reading about "Reload Questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
distra
November 23, 2006, 11:06 PM
280, I generally don't get that large a variation with the 550B, +/- 0.03 using mixed brass. Single brand new brass or brass loaded the same number of times varies +/-0.01. Again, if not all your stations are full, bullet depth will vary. As for accuracy, since you've loaded them shoot them off and see if you have any issues. My guess is those small variations are not going to effect your accuracy much at all. Some variation can occur if you short stroke the press and not take push the handle all the way down. As for lead, I don't load lead due to potential tox issues. Good luck. Post some targets for comparison.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
November 23, 2006, 11:17 PM
That blue paraffin substance is bullet lube in the ube groove of your cast lead bullet. Don't worry if it's missing a little. You won't be able to tell the difference in accuracy and don't bother sorting them out for match purposes.

If you're using mixed brass, you'll likely see a little variation in length. Also, expect to tweak your machine over time too "smooth it up" a bit. You may not yet have the optimum settings for everything.

Finally, it may be you have the wrong seater for the bullet your reloading. Check to see if you have a round nose seater in there. I doubt it, but worth it to double check that kinda thing. Sometimes it's the silly little things we all miss.

Regards,

Dave

280PLUS
November 23, 2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys, I have to admit I'm using it pretty much as a single stage so I don't have all the stations full, only one at a time. I'll try loading all the stations and running it multi stage and see what happens next time I run some off. The brass is not mixed BTW. Will I ever see a need to trim the brass? Here's another good one, once I've got a bullet puller and I dismantle a couple of rounds that need it, how do I get the backwards primers out? :what:

Don't ask me how it happened cause I don't know but I'm being much more careful about it now. :p

I DID shoot off 25 that I'd made earlier with varying powder charges. All I can say is SWEET! I can already tell the difference between the stuff I was buying and what I just made and I'm liking it! :D

Car Knocker
November 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
Will I ever see a need to trim the brass?
Not on .45ACP.

how do I get the backwards primers out?
Just like a fired primer, only do it slowly. Wear safety glasses.

Dr. Dickie
November 24, 2006, 06:29 AM
One thing to watch for 280PLUS is not variation in COL, but if it starts to steadily shrink on you. It is easy for the bullet lube to build up on the seating die and start pushing your bullets deeper and deeper, so it is a good idea to keep checking you COL about every 50 or so rounds--and to clean your die out after a run.
Enjoy

If you enjoyed reading about "Reload Questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!