Sako AV any good?

PDA

musky hunter
May 22, 2003, 01:54 AM
Hi, is a Sako AV in .270 win a good rifle. I cant find any info on it. i might trade for it with my Walther P99 LNIB. I need a damn rifle. Any reviews on the Sako AV.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako AV any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
May 22, 2003, 02:08 AM
Unless it has been run over but some derivative of a heavy personel carrier, any modern Sako is easily worth a P99 or two. ;)

One of the finest rifles around.

musky hunter
May 22, 2003, 02:10 AM
it is in excellent condition in .270 win. It would be excellent for coyotes and deer. Can you take a moose or black bear with a .270 win?

cratz2
May 22, 2003, 02:18 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to take black bear... depending on how large they get up there. :p

I'm sure many moose have been taken with a .270 Winchester but it probably wouldn't be my first choice. If you can get close enough and put your shot where it should go, I'd have to think that something like a 150 Gr X Bullet or Nosler Partition would do pretty well on moose. Zero first hand knowledge though!

Still... if this deal has been offered, and you're 100% sure the Sako isn't stolen, I'd be all over it. Those rifles go for well, well over $1,000 USD. Closer to $1,600. P99s are under $550 USD. I'd definately do the trade and even if you decided to rebarrel the rifle, you'd still be ahead though you'd have to cough up the cash.

makdaddy03
May 22, 2003, 02:51 AM
If its a "SAKO" it's a good gun.

rick_reno
May 22, 2003, 12:02 PM
The AV was the designation for their long action before they started making their curren line of rifles. I have 8 of them, they're fantastic guns. Some features are one piece forged bolt and bolt handle, solid steel forged receiver, twin lug - front locking lugs, 3 way adjustable trigger, steel floorplate and what I consider the big one - mechanical Mauser 98 type ejection. The 270, unless it's been re-barreled should have a twist rate of 1 in 10 inches.
Yes, you can hunt moose and bear (black) with a 270.

musky hunter
May 22, 2003, 12:24 PM
thanxs for the help guys. I guess it is a good deal.

Bottom Gun
May 22, 2003, 03:36 PM
You should wear a ski mask when you make that trade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako AV any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!