.357 Hollow Base Mold

PDA

Loyalist Dave
November 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
Anybody out there know if molds for .357 hollow base wadcutters are still made, and if so by which company? When you convert a 1858 Remington .36 to shoot .38 spl with a drop in cylinder, the HB .38 wadcutters flare at the base to bettter engage the rifling, while solids really don't.

If not, any bullet companies out there sellin' bulk .38 HB wadcutters? All I can find are solids.

Thanks

LD :D

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Hollow Base Mold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griz
November 24, 2006, 09:21 AM
Speer and Hornady still sell swaged HBWCs. Sometimes I see cast versions for sale at gun shows, but I'm sure others sell them. Don't know about molds, but I'm sure Midway, Midsouth, and others have them in stock.

Loyalist Dave
November 24, 2006, 12:10 PM
You know I thought the same thing. The bullets are available in 148 grain wad cutters from three companies, so the molds must be out there, but neither Midsouth nor Midway stock 'em. So I'm thinking maybe they aren't made anymore, if those two giants don't have them. I was wondering if anybody out there had any other ideas.

Thanks anyway.

LD

loadedround
November 24, 2006, 12:25 PM
Dave, why not contact RCBS and Lyman directly and ask them this question. They are some of the most helpful people in the business. If they can't help you, ask them for names of custom die makers who could help you. Hope Hornady and Speer never discontinue these HB Wadcutters, they're the only thing I shoot in my S & W 52.

Sisco
November 24, 2006, 12:28 PM
Lee Precision could make you one but it would be pricey.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1164385491.3771=/html/catalog/custom.html#CUSTOMMOLDS

ReloaderFred
November 24, 2006, 01:06 PM
Here's a thought for you. C-H Tool & Die makes bullet swaging dies. They also make punches that will form a hollow base, though shallow. I've used their dies to reform thousands of SWC bullets into flatnose roundpoints for my lever action rifles for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I'm sure that if you call or e-mail them, they can tell you what you need to make what you want from existing lead bullets for that old revolver.

I just checked their website at http://www.ch4d.com/ and they list two hollowbase bullet molds for casting .38 caliber bullets. They will also make just about anything you want for your project. I've called them before and they're very helpful. Their phone number is: 740-397-7214

Either way you want to go, casting or swaging, I'm sure they can help you out.

Hope this helps.

Fred

griz
November 24, 2006, 07:28 PM
That is odd. It seems like somebody ought to have it as a regular item, but my rudimentery search skills couldn't even find a used one. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 Hollow Base Mold" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!