Dillon Square Deal?

PDA

ra407
November 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
Does anyone have anything to say about the Dillon Square Deal progressive press? A gun dealer recommended it to me for loading pistol, 45's is what I want to start with. It comes all set up from the factory with nothing to do but run it. He said to get a single stage for my .223's I want to reload. It sounds like a good deal for $309.00 with the dies. Still not sure what press to get.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon Square Deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Firehand
November 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
I lucked out a while back and got a used SDB with .45acp and 9mm dies. So far, I wish I'd bought one a long time ago.

If you specifically want the progressive for handgun only, the only possible problem I can see is that you have to use the Dillon dies on this press, standard dies won't fit. You will need the different shellholder plate for some different cartridges, and if what you load uses large and small primers, you'll need the parts for both sizes.

If you plan on shooting a lot of the .223, you might consider their RL550B. It uses standard dies, and will load both handgun and rifle cartridges. You do have to supply your own dies or buy them from Dillon- they don't come with the press- and the primer feed parts have the same situation, need both large & small.

'Course, if you won't shoot that many of the .223, could do what the guy said, use a single-stage press for that and the SDB for handgun

Car Knocker
November 24, 2006, 04:01 PM
The big drawbacks of the Square Deal, as I see it, is that it uses proprietary dies that won't fit on any other press (Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, etc.) and it won't load rifle calibers. The Square Deal is a progressive press that has been reduced to the absolute basics and thus lacks the versatility of, say, the Dillon RL650 or the Hornady LnL. If you are interested in Dillon products, I suggest you go out to their site, http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm? and read about the different presses and look at the calibers they load and the available accessories for the various presses.

Be aware that you are going to need more than just a press to produce ammunition. Items such as an accurate scale, calipers, manuals, etc., are a necessity.

Dave P
November 24, 2006, 04:42 PM
I love mine, using it for one caliber at a time. I can swap from 45 to 10mm, but try to avoid it. Wonderful press - look for a used one cheaper.

Shoney
November 24, 2006, 06:00 PM
For $6 more you can get 10x the value of the Square Deal with the Hornady LNL Auto Progressive.
http://www.grafs.com/product/53875
1000 FREE BULLETS WITH PURCHASE! Zip Zowie and Zwooooosh!!!!!

I have a Dillon 550 and a Hornady LNL. I have a low opinion of the Square Deal.

For a few dollars more you can have the Hornady which is comporable to the Dillon 650, but costs much less for cartridge quick changeovers, The Ideas and inovations of the Hornady are my choice. I do use the 550 (which I got used at a higher price than the Hornady), but it is dedicated to only 1 cartridge.

45Badger
November 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
I started with a lee Pro-1000 (hated it, never could get the primer thingee to feed right- sold it). Moved to SDB for 45acp. Loved it, UNTIL I tried a friend's 550. Bought a 550B, and never looked back.

Now I've got two 550s, and a Rock Chucker. One of the 550s is set up purely for 45acp, the other does 38/357 and .308 duty. I use the rock chucker to work up small batchs/loads before I start making a bunch on the 550B.

You can do much better by cruising the gun boards for used presses. Also check out Ebay. I bought my SDB there for $185 delivered, and my first 550 with a TON of accessories for $325. I sold off all the extra stuff, and ended up with a 550B in 45acp for about $175. Got my second 550B at a gun show a month ago for $75, sold off the extras for $65. Need to order a conversion kit to be all set. What a deal!:D

ra407
November 24, 2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help, I have it down to either the Dillon 550 or the Hornady LNL. The LNL is alot cheaper to buy and to set up for different calibers. Why would anyone choose the Dillon over the LNL? What is the big difference besides the money? I even read the LNL is easier to change over. Almost ready to pull the trigger on one or the other. As far as the free bullets, that would be nice, but I don't think they will send them to Mass..

MarshallDodge
November 24, 2006, 09:02 PM
I have two 550B's that have given me years of good service. Dillon's customer service is probably the best.

Hornady makes some good products and except for their dies, I have had no personal experience.

CZ223
November 24, 2006, 11:48 PM
Are you noticing a trend here? I owned A Hornady, not the LNL but its predecessor, it drove me nuts. It never worked properly. Now I know that the LNL is better but I have still heard complaints about the priming system. I know that the Hornady looks like a real well made machine, that is why I bought it, but the Dillon 550 is THE MOST POPULAR PROGRESSIVE RELOADER. If I am loading handgun rounds and I have several primer tubes full I can load between 500 and 600 rds/hr. The 550 will also allow you reload virtualy any rifle round you need as well. Now that is not to say that I wouldn't buy a SDB if the right deal comes along cause I would. I load for so many different calibers that if one came along in say 38 or 45 colt both of which I use for Cowboy action shooting I would buy it in a heartbeat and leave it set up for that round only. Actually I am looking for just such a deal to come along. Buy the 550 and you will not be sorry. If you want to save some cash buy the lee dies, they are cheap and work pretty well.

ra407
November 25, 2006, 12:18 AM
I decided to buy the Dillon 550 from Graf for 329.00. Do I need calipers for reloading pistol or are they for rifle. What manual do I need besides the one that comes with the press. I have the abc's of handloading that I am reading now. I have a vibe on order and will be looking for an electronic scale. Do I need a powder die or a powder measure?

33-805
November 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
I went with the SDB for 45acp and then bought a 550 for everything else I load. I load enough 45acp that having a fast machine that is never going to do anything else makes sense for me.

The versatility of the 550 covers the other calibers I load. I do put together a seperate tool head with measure attached for each caliber. That way I do not have to screw around changing the powder measure and die settings every time I change calibers. Yeah, it's a little extravagant, but it works for me. I like both of the Dillons though. Good luck!

Car Knocker
November 25, 2006, 01:12 AM
Now I know that the LNL is better but I have still heard complaints about the priming system.
The Dillon priming system gets complaints too. All presses have idiosyncracies that must be dealt with.

PinnedAndRecessed
November 25, 2006, 01:02 PM
Buy the square deal. So what if the press only uses Dillon dies? For the initial investment you get the dies. Don't worry about it.

I've owned Lee, Lyman (Turret), and currently own Dillon Square Deal. Dillon shines and nobody begins to compare.

Oh, and I use a single stage for rifle. Redding Boss.

So your dealer is right on the money.

Wish I'd bought my Dillon years before I actually did.

Walkalong
November 25, 2006, 01:37 PM
I have an old Hornady and I don't use it to prime because it will drive you out of your:cuss: mind.
I tumble my brass, run it through the Hornady with only the sizer, prime with an RCBS tool while watching TV etc., then load all the primed brass with the Hornady and it works great!:)

DILLONHELP
November 27, 2006, 02:02 PM
A set of dial calipers is very useful, whether loading pistol or rifle ammunition. The Dillon loader includes a powder measure and a powder die. You will want a powder scale, primer flip tray, and a loading manual. The Lyman manual is a good first choice, but you can't have too many manuals.:rolleyes:

DragonFire
November 27, 2006, 03:10 PM
What happened? So far no one has mentioned Dillon's NO BS customer service. You can call Dillon with any question or problem and talk to a knowledgable agent who will talk you through the problem, and if replacement parts are needed, they will send them to you FREE! Lost a part, they'll replace it, free. Damage your press, they'll rebuild it, almost FREE (you pay shipping to them). Buy the press new or used, and you get the same coverage.

Since I only have a Dillon press, I can't speak to the other manufacturers, but Dillon has the best customer service that I have ever dealt with, for any product.

Shoney
November 27, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have dealt with both Dillon and Hornady Customer service. THEY ARE EQUAL!! The BS is that Dillon is better:cuss: :banghead: , comes from people who have not dealt with both and are dishonestly wrapped up in Blue Bullrhor. :fire: (flame away):D

ra407
Why can't they ship bullets to Mass???????????
Or are you confusing bullet with cartidge. Bullets are the projectile of a cartridge (loaded ammo). Cartridges are composed of a primer, case, powder, and bullet.

ra407
November 27, 2006, 06:42 PM
Shoney, It says free bullets, so I am assuming that they are all together. Maybe they aren't, but I still don't know if they can will ship primers and powder to Mass. I think I have to go to a dealer for that, maybe they will sent to a dealer for me. I don't know. Anyway everyone I talk to seems to like the Dillion better. But I don't think I will get the square deal, I am thinking about the 550. I will make up my mind as soon as I can done reading
ABC's of Reloading.

Shoney
November 27, 2006, 07:24 PM
ra407
Again! I feel you are confusing bullet with LOADED AMMO. Graff is offering bullets. I know several reloaders from Mass, and they all have bullets shipped in. I am unsure about primers and powder, but if you put this as a seperate question to the forum, you will get an answer in a hurry.

Yeah!!! I used to believe in and spew with ignorance that the Blue is best crap. Then I saw the Hornady LNL, which took me a while before I realized it's advantages, and bought it. I still use the 550 but the NEW LNL is definitely much better and more advanced, comparable to the 650, but IMHO the inovations on the LNL are equal to if not superior to the 650 and at a much lower price.

ra407
November 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
Shoney,

Are they going to give you empty brass cases? I think they can send those to Mass.

I was looking at the Dillion 650 and I don't know what the difference is between that and the 550. If the LNL is similiar to the 650 I might buy that one.

I think Dillion has a better reputation and is more popular, that is why I am being told to buy a Dillion. But I am going to keep an open mind until I finish the book.

Car Knocker
November 27, 2006, 09:06 PM
So far no one has mentioned Dillon's NO BS customer service. You can call Dillon with any question or problem and talk to a knowledgable agent who will talk you through the problem, and if replacement parts are needed, they will send them to you FREE! Lost a part, they'll replace it, free. Damage your press, they'll rebuild it, almost FREE (you pay shipping to them). Buy the press new or used, and you get the same coverage.
TANSTAAFL.

"Free" parts are funded by the customers, either by an up-front charge built into the price of the equipment or service, or by a pay-as-you-go plan where the parts are sold to the customer. As for answering questions, handling problems, etc., just about all major reloading equipment manufacturers offer excellant service that could well be emulated by manufacturers in other lines of goods. RCBS, for example, is known for outstanding customer service.

Shoney
November 27, 2006, 09:22 PM
ra407
If you are to reload, you must get your terms straight.
http://www.snipercountry.com/Comp.htm
When they say bullets, they mean bullets only. No brass, no primer, no powder. The term "Bullet" to the general public means loaded ammo, which is incorrect. The proper term for a box of loaded ammunition is a box of cartridges. Bullet = object which is propelled towards the target.

Another term commonly used incorrectly is caliber. The unwashed masses interchange this term for the name of a cartridge and the diameter of the bore. Example 1: They say I have a 9MM. It could be a 9mm Kurtz (380 or 9X17); or a 9mm Makarov (9.2X18); or a 9mm Luger (9x19);or a 9X21, or 9mmMauser and so on. Example 2: What caliber rifle do you have, a 30-06? No the cartridge is a 30-06, and it's caliber is .308. Example 3: I have a 30 caliber rifle. Well, its nice to know the bore is 30 cal, but which cartridge does it shoot, 30 Carbine, 308, 30-30, 30-40 Kraig, 308 Norma, 300WinMag, 30-338, or one of 10 to 15 other 30 cal cartridges.

Go to several stores that have reloading presses and find both the Dillon and Hornadyís. Not common to have a store have both. Look at and handle the 550 and the 650 and the LNL. Take what the salesmen say with a grain of salt.

ra407
November 27, 2006, 10:34 PM
shoney

Thanks for imforming me about the definition of a bullet. I admit I should have known that, that is why I am reading and doing research.

I will try and find stores that have presses setup but I don't think I will have much luck. Not many around here for that kind of thing. Most of the dealers around here don't have anything setup.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and I will let you know what I purchase when I get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon Square Deal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!