Winchester Model 70 carbine?

PDA

ACP
November 24, 2006, 09:48 PM
I saw an odd duck at a local shop today that I can't find much info. on.

It was a "Winchester Model 70 Carbine" (as stamped on the barrel) bolt action in .223 Remington caliber with a laminated brown wood stock. The barrel was blued, about 20" long and of a medium or thin contour. The trigger was grooved. It had an internal box magazine and was fitted with an older Bushnell Banner 3-9x scope in Weaver rings. The rifle looked relatively new -- price was $480.

Anyone ever seen or fired one of these? How does it shoot? It felt very light in the hands and had a very crisp trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 70 carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Markowitz
November 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
My brother has a Model 70 LW Carbine in .250-3000. It has a walnut stock, though, not laminated. It's been used on a few deer. Very nice shooting rifle.

In .223 it would make a good walking around varmint gun.

Pumpkinheaver
November 24, 2006, 11:08 PM
I had one in 22-250, it was a perfect walking varmit rifle. Wish I still had it.

Fred Fuller
November 25, 2006, 12:02 PM
Mine's a .308, nigh a perfect deer rifle for the areas I hunt (central AL and eastern NC) IMO. I bought it years ago, NIB. It's blued steel in a synthetic stock, no iron sights.

It might be for sale after they throw dirt in my face...

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 70 carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!