I just bought my first rifle...

PDA

Mahlerite
November 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
A CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .458 Lott. I know it's a bit much as a first rifle, but I have a fascination with shoulder fired artillery. I'm shooting it for the first time tomorrow. It sure is easy to hold, easy on the eyes, and feels utterly at home when shouldered. I'm going to shoot Hornady .458Win. 500 gr RN Interbonds, and will try not to fight the recoil. I've done some reading here before I registered, and hope to put to good use the experiences of others. Wish me luck!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "I just bought my first rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Il Duca
November 25, 2006, 09:58 PM
.458 Lott? As a first rifle? Hoo-boy I don't quite think you know what you're in for. Do you have any experience to lean on or is this your first time shooting a rifle? I would fold a very thick towel and drape it over the shooting shoulder. Hold it tight, I've heard stories of people suffering all kinds of ailments from not holding onto a powerful rifle like that sufficiently. I have heard of things like concussions, detached retinas, broken collar bones, etc. Can't say I can verify them, just stories I've heard from different places. Not trying to discourage, in fact I'm impressed at the guts displayed. Good luck!

JohnBT
November 25, 2006, 10:05 PM
I suggest you fire it standing up, not seated at a bench. Lean forward into it and let it rock you back on your heels...like you're going to have a choice. :)

Just kidding, have fun.

And don't drop it when it goes off. ;)

John

Outlaws
November 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
Can you do me a favor and have someone video tape this and send it to me? :evil:

lionking
November 25, 2006, 10:10 PM
yes please,it is a must.Video your first session with the rifle and show us.:cool:

lee n. field
November 25, 2006, 10:24 PM
.458 Lott? As a first rifle?

Ja, really. Isn't most people's first rifle a .22?

Deer Hunter
November 25, 2006, 10:24 PM
Are the .458 Lott and the .458 Winchester Mag the same round? :confused:

45Seventy
November 25, 2006, 10:26 PM
I hear the .458 Lott is a dandy squirrel gun. I've been using a .45-70, but I'm thinking of moving to a .458 Lott or .460 Weatherby myself because I've found it difficult to stop a hard-charging and wounded bushy tail.

45Seventy
November 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
Are the .458 Lott and the .458 Winchester Mag the same round?

No, the Lott round is a little longer. But you can fire Winchesters in the Lott. Like firing .38 in a .357.

lionking
November 25, 2006, 10:29 PM
quote;I hear the .458 Lott is a dandy squirrel gun. I've been using a .45-70, but I'm thinking of moving to a .458 Lott or .460 Weatherby myself because I've found it difficult to stop a hard-charging and wounded bushy tail

agh just admit it....you enjoy seeing the big SPLAT! that it makes.:p

zinj
November 25, 2006, 10:31 PM
Don't those magnum CZ's need stock reinforcements to avoid cracking under the heavy recoil?

I would seriously invest in a smaller rifle too, so you don't ruin your shooting potential by giving yourself a flinch.

GeoW
November 25, 2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pmJSma9mM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdbDRMx8G4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxPP9U0iq0

Few warnings.. Pics is worth thousand words:evil:

GeoW

45Seventy
November 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
agh just admit it....you enjoy seeing the big SPLAT! that it makes.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the type of squirrel I hunt.

DnPRK
November 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
Wow, just wow...

Spencer
November 25, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hahahaha.

A cape squirrel.

lionking
November 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
quote;You are obviously unfamiliar with the type of squirrel I hunt.

haha!...obviously I was.:p

where I go shooting at certain times of the year these big ugly locusts are always around....you should see what a 357 or 44 magnum does to those....I always spare the ones mating,I mean I have some decency

grizz
November 25, 2006, 11:31 PM
That's absurd.

Loanshark
November 25, 2006, 11:40 PM
So you only shoot the locusts that can't get laid huh? That's just so wrong. What a world.

At least the mating locusts would be going out with a bang.

CornCod
November 25, 2006, 11:44 PM
I think you might not find your first experience in shooting a rifle to be a fun or edifying one if you go straight for a brute of a rifle like that. For heaven's sake, plop down 50 or 60 bucks and get a used .22 rifle and fool around with it for a couple of weeks before graduating to that cannon.

Well, whatever you do, I wish you well, sir.

Outlaws
November 25, 2006, 11:49 PM
You are obviously unfamiliar with the type of squirrel I hunt.

Thats the baby. Here is the mother.

jeff-10
November 26, 2006, 12:03 AM
A .458 Lott is a perfect choice for a first rifle. Most ppl go with something small like a .460 Weatherby or a .375 Ultra Mag, but IMHO you can't beat a .458 Lott to learn the basics. As an added plus, as you already know, it shoots the mild .458 Winchester, which is perfect for a beginning shooter and relatively inexpensive.

IndianaBoy
November 26, 2006, 12:05 AM
That's kinda like putting a cape buffalo in a petting zoo isn't it?

Good luck......

MCgunner
November 26, 2006, 12:06 AM
I hope you learn to hit with it someday, in the future, down the road...:D

Just don't anticipate the trigger (called "flinch"). Gently squeeze and let the trigger surprise you. Get your buddy to bring you the target so when you wake up in the emergency room, you can see where you hit....:what:

cslinger
November 26, 2006, 12:08 AM
Not planning on doing a lot of informal plinking are we? :D

Bazooka Joe71
November 26, 2006, 12:27 AM
.458 lott is only about 4-5 dollars a rd isn't it?

Farnham
November 26, 2006, 01:18 AM
Dude, I hope you got a good dental plan. And ice. Lots of ice.

S/F

Farnham

Mahlerite
November 26, 2006, 02:38 AM
I've shot .30-06 extensively, using my cousin's Winchester. Also, my great uncle has a Mauser 8x57 which was my first rifle experience at the age of 12. I just felt the need for a big bore. Bigger, better, faster, wow! My technique may need adjustment for this cannon, but I'm getting good advice so far. And everyone tells me to fire it standing. Seems like a good idea, too.

Mahlerite
November 26, 2006, 02:55 AM
Those videos are hilarious! By the looks of that rifle, it looks like the CZ in .505 Gibbs. That barrel is pretty big. When I bought my .458 at Cabelas, there was the BIG CZ next to it, .505 Gibbs. It was 3 times the cash, too. And since the shooting was indoors, the report had that 16" Battleship gun quality, didn't it? MUAHAHAHA!!

cslinger
November 26, 2006, 01:26 PM
I've shot .30-06 extensively, using my cousin's Winchester. Also, my great uncle has a Mauser 8x57 which was my first rifle experience at the age of 12.

Yes but you are in a whole different ballpark with the .458, hell you might be playing a new game all together. Seriously though, buy a shoulder pad, shoot standing, lean way into it and buy a .22 rifle. Not necessarily in that order.

Heck don't go to the range for a couple of weeks and use the savings to buy a CZ452 in .22 as sort of an understudy to that beast.

At any rate, good luck, be safe, have fun.

Chris

Desk Jockey
November 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to the hillside to make themselves fat, and the name of all three was "Gruff."

On the way up was a bridge over a cascading stream they had to cross; and under the bridge lived a...

First rifle a .458 Lott? Unlikely. :rolleyes:

rangerruck
November 26, 2006, 01:59 PM
' into the valley of death rode the gallant 600', let us stand at attention, for this brave soul. Please slip a recoil pad on that bad boy. Also , do yourself a big favor, before you start to shoot it, take it to a 25 or 50 yds range, and bore sight it! or get a range officer to zero it, and pay him a few bucks to do it.

Shoney
November 26, 2006, 02:02 PM
45Seventy
Shame on you for that load of crap picture.

Next time, instead of a domesticated runt, show a western free ranging bull prairie poodle. They are much, much, much larger.

rust collector
November 26, 2006, 04:29 PM
Heh. Methinks we be trolled, but it does highlight the way many folks go about buying a gun. If it was good enough for Ernest Hemingway, Karamojo Bell, or Clint Eastwood, it's just what I need.

You may have developed a new learning method, young feller. Perhaps if it costs you $8 every time you pull the trigger, and there's death on one end and destruction on the other, you'll be less inclined to spray and pray.

JohnBT
November 26, 2006, 04:52 PM
Re: the youtube vids from the Accurate Reloading site

IIRC they were shooting a .577 Tyrannosaur

www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

"Still, any cartridge that produces over 11,000 foot pounds of energy is going to give you a good whalop. And I guarantee you, you are not going to be disappointed!"

lionking
November 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
I dont think this is a trolled thread and if it is,well Im enjoying it immensely anyway!:cool:

kevin davis
November 26, 2006, 05:59 PM
let's give the guy a break (your choice of collarbone or humerus!!! lol).

Seriously, none of those yahoos on youtube were holding the gun correctly for a big magnum.

I hopefully will get my new cz550 .458 lott this week. .458 win mag is $45-70/box of 20. .458 Lott is $60-85/box, higher for rare rounds. I have been shooting .375 H & H and .376 Steyr, so hopefully the recoil will not be all that bad. If it is, then a magnaporting job will be in order. The upright posture suggestion is good. I hope to go back for more cape rabbits in Africa someday soon.

45Seventy
November 26, 2006, 06:19 PM
Alright, Mahlerite, time to tell us how it went.

Mahlerite
November 26, 2006, 07:27 PM
What a thrill, first of all. And what a surprisingly nice shooter! I admit before God and this company that I was scared ****less to fire the first shot. It was terrible. I could hear my racing pulse pounding in my ears, my arms went to jelly, and for quite a few minutes I could do nothing but sit down and try to calm myself. Thanks to my cousin's next door neighbor who hunts extensively with 12 gauge slugs(and lives in a secluded rural area far away from any towns), I was able to learn from an experienced shooter. I watched him fire a shot into a large piece of hard firewood which we drew a 6" circle on. We roughly marked out 50 yards, and fired standing. After he fired it, I saw that it wasn't going to throw me on my ass as long as I held it properly. POOM! Several neighbors came outside and watched, saying that it sounded great. I must agree. Out of the 19 remaining rounds, I kept 17 inside that 6" circle! I am positively thrilled! The recoil is like getting slugged by someone in a semi-friendly way. I didn't lose grip, or drop it.

I tell you, for a while I felt like the world's biggest idiot. But now that My CZ and I have become properly introduced, I am really happy with my irrational decision! I didn't get any video, sorry. But I'm really looking forward to hitting the paper at a local range and improving my skills with her. Thanks for all the good advice, folks. I will keep you posted as to my continued practice.

Deer Hunter
November 26, 2006, 07:46 PM
Great job man!

If it makes you feel any better, I always wanted an S&W 500 for my first handgun. :)

Drakejake
November 26, 2006, 08:03 PM
Those mugs in the videos are letting go of the rifle. Important rule in shooting: don't let go of the firearm.

Drakejake

Mahlerite
November 26, 2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks Deer Hunter! BTW, when I was checking out at Cabela's, the cashier girl asked me if I was going to Africa. She was excited as heck to see that someone was buying that cannon. Weirdo that I am, I looked over both shoulders, leaned in towards her and said,

"No, actually I just really hate deer".

That was worth a smile!

If you enjoyed reading about "I just bought my first rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!