Reloads and moonclips?

PDA

ra407
November 25, 2006, 08:59 PM
I am having trouble with the lead reloads that I purchased for a shoot tomorrow. After I put them into the moonclips they fit into the cyclinder really tight, I have to push them in and hit the release really hard to take them out. I haven't fired any yet. Is there anything I can do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloads and moonclips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highlander 5
November 25, 2006, 09:05 PM
first make sure the chambers are clean.You don't say what cartridge you are shooting so I assume you're shooting 45 ACP.
sounds like you need more taper crimp on your ammo.

ra407
November 25, 2006, 09:15 PM
I am using the 625JM .45. It is a new gun. Is there something I can do to the ammo, I don't have a reloader? Can I load the gun without the moonclips although it will be alot slower, I still want to use it at the shoot. That is why I bought it, it is my second IDPA and would be dissappointed if I can't use it.

Jim Watson
November 25, 2006, 09:19 PM
Go down to Walmart and buy some WWB or UMC econo-ball.
You could shoot the junk ammo without clips but it would be slow and frustrating, requiring that you punch or pick the empties out; the extractor will not engage the rimless brass. Possibly even dangerous under the time and movement requirements of IDPA.
Don't buy no-name reloads.

ra407
November 25, 2006, 09:21 PM
I have to use lead because it is an indoor ranch and that is what they require.

Jim Watson
November 25, 2006, 09:23 PM
Make friends with a reloader who owns a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die FAST.

ra407
November 25, 2006, 09:44 PM
Some of them fit and some don't. It it fits in one cyclinder it doesn't fit into the other. I will take the revolver with me and hope someone will have some ammo I can trade or buy of them. I will be reloading my own soon, as I am shopping for a progressive reloader. What is a factory crimp die. Do I need one when I reload?

Jim Watson
November 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die slightly resizes the loaded cartridge as it applies a regular taper crimp. It is good insurance against bulk lead bullets bulging the brass to where it will not chamber freely. There are people here who say it is a bandaid but if you are using common lead bullets and the usual mixed brass for moderate accuracy shooting like IDPA, it is a bandaid you NEED.

Get a reloading manual and be memorizing it while you get around to buying the equipment.

ra407
November 25, 2006, 09:54 PM
The am reading the abc's of reloading. I am thinking about getting the Dillion 550B. Do I get on of those dies with that?

SDC
November 25, 2006, 10:02 PM
You can certainly use a Lee Factory Crimp Die with a Dillon 550 (I use them on all my handgun loads). Another thing you might want to consider for faster reloads is to put (or have put) a slight chamfer on the chambers in your cylinder; when it's done right, you can practically THROW a full moonclip at the cylinder, and it'll center itself and pop right in faster than it takes to think about. You can order the FCD from any Lee dealer, and I'd suggest making up 4 or 5 clips worth of dummy ammo so you've got some "dud" clips you can practice your reloads with them (ideally marked with some paint or similar that stands out).

Tom C.
November 25, 2006, 10:02 PM
The Dillon 550B uses standard thread size dies. My .45 ACP setup is Dillon dies with a Redding micrometer seating die. That way I can easily dial it in for different bullets. I taper crimp all my .45 ACP ammo, and then check it in a gage. Dillon, Midway and others have the cartridge gages. The oversize rounds are culled out and shot up in practice. The good stuff is saved for the match.

Nhsport
November 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
Different brands of cases (remington,winchester,federal whatever) have slightly different specifications size wise and will fit the moon clips differently. New moon clips will generally be tighter and some clips work better or worse than others.The reloads themselves will not be as uniform as
factory ammo. A new gun will have tighter chambers and sometimes the chambers might have a rough spot or two. Lead bullet reloads many times have some waxy bullet lube that rubs off the bullet (where it belongs) and gets smeared on the outside of the brass case.
Try some of this----
1)Clean the revolver ,pay attention to the cylinders. many times a factory new gun has "grit" and dirt on it right out of the factory
2)if there is any waxy film on the ammo go at it with a dry paper towel and polish it up.
3)sort the ammo by brand (stamped on the head of the case),try different shells in different moon clips and sort as best as you can into stuff that works and stuff that doesn't work. (both cases and clips)

If the range you are going to has a store see if they have factory lead loads. If these work your problem is ammo , if not some of your problem might be gun/clip related .
I have heard of some guns needing to have the chambers polished. This isn't a DIYS project,get a gunsmith to do it if necessary. If your chambers are rough and the gun is new you might get S&W to do it as warantee work .

Ross
November 26, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ra407,
As Nhsport says, I'd take a look at the clips. If the cases do not appear loose, they will generally bind. The extraction groove in some cases may be part of the problem.
If the single rounds fit easily, the problem is likely the clips. Sometimes they get bent, but they may be a little off-spec.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloads and moonclips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!