Problems with lee factory crimp die!!!

PDA

kingofbattle1985
November 25, 2006, 11:27 PM
I cant understand why this die does not work! When i try to use it, the crimp cannulere dosnt even touch the part of the die that does the crimping!! Its like the cartridge is to short! Im reloading for my marlin 1895 45-70!Some help please!!!:banghead:

Thanks,
The King

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with lee factory crimp die!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MartinBrody
November 26, 2006, 12:01 AM
For the pistol rounds I reload it is a 2 step adjustment. Has this die worked in the past? I would double check your adjustment.

Jim Watson
November 26, 2006, 06:17 AM
You have to set it low enough to where the ram pushes the inner sleeve up until it closes the collet on the case neck. Just running it in until it touches the shellholder does not do anything. Did you get the instructions with the die?

dmftoy1
November 26, 2006, 07:29 AM
If you need a copy of the instructions and they're not on the Lee website let me know . . I've got one in the basement and I can probably scan them in for you.

Regards,
Dave

Ditchtiger
November 26, 2006, 07:41 AM
Have you rechecked part numbers? 747-243 from Midway

Uncle Don
November 26, 2006, 10:35 AM
I'm going to throw this out simply because it may have been overlooked, but are you sure you are doing the bullet seating with the seater/crimper die. If you are using the factory crimp die, you seat the bullet as necessary for depth with the seater/crimper die, but only set it to seat the bullet, not crimp. Then, put the case in the shell holder and run it to the top of the stroke with no die in the press. At that point, turn the fcd into the press until it stops, then lower the case, turn the case in another half to three quarter turn and run it back up which should then crimp properly. Is there possibly a part of this procedure you inadvertantly overlooked?

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with lee factory crimp die!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!