A lever rifle question...

PDA

bikerp97
May 22, 2003, 12:20 PM
This isnt were I usually hang out so bear with me please..

I need some info and maybe a value on a Winchester Lever action rifle. It is around 75% condition. Ser# 446847 how old?

Also what does 30 W.C.F. mean. My father thinks it is .30-30 is that what the marking stands for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "A lever rifle question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
May 22, 2003, 12:51 PM
Can't help with the value, but your father is correct.

.30 WCF stands for .30 Winchester Center Fire, the original name for the .30-30.

A number of Winchester cartridges around the turn of the 19th century were so known.

mothernatureson
May 22, 2003, 12:58 PM
Based on the serial # given, that rifle was made in 1908. I assume that your rifle is a model 94. Can't help you on the value, as there are more than 7 million of them made. But that vintage would be desireable to a model 94 collector.
mothernatureson

Jim K
May 22, 2003, 08:56 PM
It should be a Model 1894 and should say so on the tang. Without some historical association, the value of those pre-1929 rifles is based almost entirely on condition. One in poor condition with missing or broken parts will bring a $150 or so, where one new in the box (if such exists) could easily bring $2000. Most have been well used and an average price is around the $400-600 level. Some calibers bring more, but .30-30 and .32 Special are the most common calibers.

After 1929, the rifle was renamed the Model 94; it was revamped in 1964 along with the rest of the Winchester line. It is still made.

Jim

six 4 sure
May 23, 2003, 12:00 AM
It may not be the best way, but you may want to check out www.auctionarms.com and/or www.gunbroker.com and see what similar rifles are selling for.

Six

bikerp97
May 23, 2003, 08:55 AM
After looking at some of these on Gun Broker ....The one I am asking about has the peep sight and a saddle ring and seems to have a shorter barrell. I didnt measure it, though.

Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "A lever rifle question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!