Stuck Cylinder Pin

PDA

waffqle
November 26, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hello,

I recently moved and I found an old H&R Victor .38 along with some misc parts in a box in the garage. It's in pretty rough shape and I though it might be good practice to try and restore it. I've run into a pit of a problem though; I can't get the cylinder pin out. I've drowned it in Remoil and Liquid Wrench. I've tried to twist the pin and break it free. I've tried to knock it out from the back with a hammer and a punch. (I've been leery of hitting it to hard for fear of damaging it.) Unfortunately it refuses to budge.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to remove this thing?

Thanks,
Waffqle

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck Cylinder Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
November 26, 2006, 06:48 PM
I assume you are releasing the little catch that holds the pin in place. If so, and the pin still won't come out, I have no other suggestions beyond what you have already tried.

FWIW, those guns have very little value even in good shape, so any refinishing you do would just be for your own satisfaction as it would decrease the value of the gun even more.

Jim

Old Fuff
November 26, 2006, 08:29 PM
Jim is right about the catch. Otherwise let it soak for at least a month before trying to remove the pin.

I believe that Numrich / The Gunparts Corp. may have some parts for it. Go to: www.e-gunparts.com and see. If you have a second pin for back-up you might be able to use a little more force on the old one then you would do otherwise.

waffqle
November 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've completely removed the catch.

Regarding the value of the gun, that's actually why I decided to do this. I've got very little experience with gun smithing aside from reblueing a couple shotgun barrels. I figured this would be a good gun to learn with. In it's current condition I would be surprised to see it fetch more than $20.

Thanks for the link, they look like an excellent resource. I'll try soaking it longer. I'd assumed that if it didn't work overnight, it wasn't going to. I'll stick it in a bucket and come back after chistmas.

Thanks,
Waffqle

Old Fuff
November 26, 2006, 11:06 PM
On one occasion I was trying to remove the breechplug from an antique flintlock that had rusted into place with over 200 years to get the job done. :eek:

It took three months of soaking, but in the end it came out. ;)

jondar
November 27, 2006, 10:31 AM
Once while metal detecting with the kids at a Civil War battle Site we found a Colt Model 1849 bullet mold. The mold itself was brass but the pin holding the two sides was iron and the sides were 'welded' shut. Rather than forcing and risking breaking the pin I heated it on an electric stove burner just to where I couldn't hold it with bare fingers. Then sprayed it liberally with WD-40. Checked the next nigh when I got home from work, still "welded". This went on for two weeks. Same procedure every night. One night it "gave" about a quarter inch. Repeated the process and next night it opened. You could heat your project with a heat gun maybe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck Cylinder Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!