Wilson Shok Buff for 1911

PDA

FEATHERWEIGHT
November 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
Are the Wilson Shok Buffs any good? Are these device necessary or worthwhile if you do not shoot competition? Do they change accuracy or reliability any? Would you put one on a weapon that may save your life or is it a product for high volume target shooters only? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilson Shok Buff for 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GoRon
November 26, 2006, 10:19 PM
Personal opinion, forget about them.

Do they change accuracy or reliability any?
I have seen guns fail to work because they have them, never saw a gun fail because it didn't.

Powder_Burn
November 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
I've wondered about this for a while. The shok-buff reduces wear and tear but reduces rearward slide movement by 1/8" or so. I personally haven't found that they impact reliability. FWIW, Les Baer ships Thunder Ranch pistols w/o a shok-buff whereas the rest of the guns include them. Seems to infer that no shok-buff = higher reliability or that Thunder Ranch does not want them. As long as I can get 100% reliability w/a shok-buff, I see no reason to change.

10-Ring
November 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
When I first got my 1st Colt, I bought some...thought it would help...WRONG! Turned out it hampered reliability. Once I realized that, I took it out & haven't looked at them since. Now if I ever go to a 45 super, I might revisit those little buggers, but for now, they stay put away.

Black Majik
November 26, 2006, 10:25 PM
My personal opinion but...

There are 2 places for shok-buffs. On the racks at gunstores, and in the trashcans.

They may reduce wear, but otherwise theres no use for them. They prevent slide movement rearward in slidelock, so you can't slingshot the gun to chamber a round. Any shockbuffs I had in any gun ended up straight in the trashcan.

Answer to a non-existant problem.

gezzer
November 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
J. M. Browning never used them in his design. I don't.

I am a Smith and have removed all kinds of aftermarket parts to make a gun designed by him work again. Hard to beat a stock 1911 made to his specs.

Chuck R.
November 27, 2006, 08:16 AM
Black Majik,

I finally did find a use for buffer's in my 5" Baer. I drop one in between the slide and the barrel hood when disassembling the pistol so I don't have to use the wrench.

I've got close to 11K through the buffer I'm using now. :D

Chuck

Mad Magyar
November 27, 2006, 09:05 AM
Not sure how reliable this is, but one gun writer mentioned that Bill Wilson himself isn't a firm believer in them...However, he makes them & will sell them to anyone....I believe the consensus is that they won't hurt anything on 5" barrels, like on my Sistemas, but might have an effect on the stroke cycle on shorter barrels...BTW, I use them and when you see the pounding they take; it makes you wonder....:rolleyes:

10X
November 27, 2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with many of the comments above. The buffers will affect reliability.
The slide doesn't travel the full distance back under recoil. This can be a problem in some guns. One some I could not get the slide to release without physically pushing down the slide stop. Why, the slide wouldn't go back for enough to cam the slide stop down. The second issue I have had is the buffers will sometimes mushroom after use. This can drag on the slide and cause failures to eject and failures to feed. Honestly, I don't see the need with most loads or calibers.

JoeHatley
November 27, 2006, 12:34 PM
I use them in all my "range only" 1911s. Never had one cause a problem. Not even those that were left in too long, and started to come apart in the gun.

They may or may not accomplish anything, but I've always considered them cheap insurance, and have used them for almost 20 years.

Joe

Majic
November 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
Another one of the brillant ideas to lighten the weight of your pocket.

Phenom
November 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
Shokbuffs are useful for cast and aluminum frames. They're more like 1cm thick and I've had no problems with them. If you're going to put alot of rounds downrange then by all means use them. Just remove them when you clean and lube your gun.

molonlabe
November 27, 2006, 02:06 PM
I've used the kings buffer with a 18.5 lb recoil spring in my gold cup for years. I shoot full power loads in it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21271&d=1107661279

Ala Dan
November 27, 2006, 02:17 PM
I don't use 'em in any of my 1911's; as I find these pistols to be just fine
without them~!;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilson Shok Buff for 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!